• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm not a big fan of stick welding. It's what I first learned with but it tends to be a messier weld, I think. I say that because of the slag and having to either brush it away or chip it off. The core of the stick is the filler metal and the coating on the outside acts as the shielding agent.
    MIG (metal inert gas) welding uses a constant spool of filler wire and the inert gas is the shielding agent. I feel like it's the most practical type of welder for someone starting out to use. Mostly because it's a more practical investment, and you don't have to worry about keeping sticks from getting contaminated.
    TIG (tungsten inert gas) takes more practice to master since you have to work a pedal and have to make sure not to let the tungsten contact the metal and you have to use your other hand to dip the filler wire into the puddle all at the same time.

I don't think I have the coordination needed for TIG!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Just to throw my two cuperic coins in the fountain, my employer sent all the millwrights, tinsmiths, et. al. to Ivy Tech. We started with torch work and progressed to stick and mig configs. They have a decent program if you put in the time to learn.
    If you REALLY want a bunch of schooling, there is always the Hobart School of Welding but the average joe will be overwhelmed unless you are going to do it for your main occupation.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I actually found TIG quite easy as compared to brazing. When I first tried TIG the instructor asked me how long I had been doing TIG and I responded about 15 minutes. He got mad because he thought I was screwing with him. He said that he had seen people that had TIG'd for years that weren't as good at it as I appeared to be. At one time I owned a Miller 110V mig welder, a Lincoln AC/DC cracker box and an oxy/acetylene set up. I upgraded my MIG to a bigger one and got rid of the little mig and cracker box. The oxy/acetylene rig has never been used for welding but more for cutting and applying copious amounts of heat when needed.

Love my MIG and wish I had more need for it but it doesn't take up TOO much space so it's handy to have around.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    This is the most exciting thread I've read in a while (and I'm not even being sarcastic).

This has inspired me to look for a class up here in the NW part of the state. I bought a Kindle welding book last night to give me the basics so I at least know something about welding and the differences between stick, MIG, and TIG (plus it has some other stuff on thread cutting and sharpening drill bits that will come in handy).

Last edited:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Couple of glasses of whole milk will settle down the shakes. The real milk not that other stripped down to water crap.
    I torched out a long section of cooling water pipe in a basement years ago. It was 3" Galvy. I got it all cut out but was sick as a dog. Neighbor told me to drink as much milk as I could. It worked. Not complete cure but it stopped the shakes.

ButterMilk if you can find it, been there done that!

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Does your School System have Vocational Program? I took classes at Ft Wayne Community Schools in the evening (1968). The teacher, Glen Doty, was the #1 Welder at International Harvester Co. He taught us a lot about Stick welding. One of the Tests was Pipe Welding, it's welded from one side but there are beads on both sides. It's served me well for the past 50 years.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    One way to go about it would be using You Tube. Find out what you need for a basic set up, get it, watch videos and get at it. YT is a huge and excellent learning resource, you just look for the channels of people that know what they are doing.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Does your School System have Vocational Program? I took classes at Ft Wayne Community Schools in the evening (1968). The teacher, Glen Doty, was the #1 Welder at International Harvester Co. He taught us a lot about Stick welding. One of the Tests was Pipe Welding, it's welded from one side but there are beads on both sides. It's served me well for the past 50 years.

I can ask.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    One way to go about it would be using You Tube. Find out what you need for a basic set up, get it, watch videos and get at it. YT is a huge and excellent learning resource, you just look for the channels of people that know what they are doing.

I have watched a couple videos, will no doubt watch more.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a friend do some welding for me and it was fascinating - so many new possible creations when you can weld...

It was a MIG welder, and I got a chance to do some of the welding and I really want to do more, just don't think I can justify the time and expense right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a friend do some welding for me and it was fascinating - so many new possible creations when you can weld...

It was a MIG welder, and I got a chance to do some of the welding and I really want to do more, just don't think I can justify the time and expense right now.

Clean and well fit up work. Proper gas in the bottle and wire in the unit. Gas flow rate and wire speed/heat. Once all these things are in place you can roll through some wire.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Knowing how you LEOs like your post retirement jobs ;)welding and fabrication would be a perfect way to go! A decent welding rig, a decent sized plasma table, and a small press brake, you would be turning down jobs because of being swamped. A few years back when I had more time to play in the garage, I made a guy an aluminum tread plate ladder top to replace the plastic one on his fiberglass step ladder. I had some scrap laying around, bent it to shape, and tigged endcaps onto it. The guy LOVED it! I made a few more for people who had seen his, and probably could have made a few dozen more. Point is, there are tons of small jobs you could get paid for without leaving your garage or breaking a sweat.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

This part requires vision and TALENT in the artistic sense. Sure I can weld but where the talent and vision comes in is in seeing a really cool widget in that pile of junk out behind the barn. The real talent is convincing some "art patron" that your newly minted widget, which is worth about $40 in scrap is now worth $40k because it's "art"!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't think I have the coordination needed for TIG!

I bet you said that the first time you curb stomped too....I imagine welding, like curb stomping, is something you just learn by doing....Look back....

That first curb stomp with cheap boots that bruised your heel....

Did you give up? No...You got some Danner's and soldiered on...

By the 100th stomp you were a legend....

Have faith in yourself Frank......You can do it....

:)

Top Bottom