• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Look at all the Old School Dogs out on this thread.

~What I would pay to see the Seniors (Slough - CM), Junior (Nate), Brains (Vette), Pro (Phylo), Experienced (AVB11), and all the rest of you hooligans on the 1K line of Atterbury KD-6.

IMG_0903bb.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Belay what I said about the 700LR, 700P and Sendero.

This is a helluva deal:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+24+3+1+Synthetic+H

As for 6.5 Creedmoor...

Typical reported velocity for a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor is about 2820fps with Hornady 140gr Amax Match ammo; I presume the newer ELD-M ammo is the same. At 1000 yards, at 500' elevation with standard atmosphere (59F/29.92" Hg) and 0% relative humidity, it will have 8.1mil drop and 1.8 mil drift at 1000 yards and go transonic just inside 1500yd.

For comparison's sake, Hornady's 300WM 195gr ELD-M load has a box velocity of 2930fps; with the same environmentals it would have 7.8 mil drop and 1.9 mil drift and go transonic at 1400yd.

Basically, for a LOT less recoil the 6.5 Creedmoor is a near ballistic equal to the 300WM (of course the Win Mag has a lot more energy).

You can juice up the 6.5 Creedmoor but the 140 ELD is an excellent bullet...but the 300WM can be stepped on quite a bit with H1000/Retumbo/etc and loaded with the 225gr ELD-M or a 215/230gr Berger Hybrid and really have some arse to 1500yd+.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Look at all the Old School Dogs out on this thread.

~What I would pay to see the Seniors (Slough - CM), Junior (Nate), Brains (Vette), Pro (Phylo), Experienced (AVB11), and all the rest of you hooligans on the 1K line of Atterbury KD-6.

Is it open to the public?

Atterbury would be a lot faster/easier for me to get to than Rockcastle.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Phylo: I appreciate that. I don't know if I belong in that crowd or not, but I try to only pass along truth or what I believe is closest to it.

John: Well..John's a real dude. John, have you been down there since KD6 had a couple three hundred thousand of the NRA's pizza money put into improving the 600-1,000 berms? Man, it is a world of difference better. It's a legitimate 50-point 1,000 yardline.

You can juice up the 6.5 Creedmoor but the 140 ELD is an excellent bullet...but the 300WM can be stepped on quite a bit with H1000/Retumbo/etc and loaded with the 225gr ELD-M or a 215/230gr Berger Hybrid and really have some arse to 1500yd+.

What I have wondered is what 28-30" 6.5 Creedmoor--from a cut rifled tube from roundaboot Milwaukee--would be able to do using the SR Lapua case and the Sierra 150. I think I know.

It's never gonna be a -284 or 6.5 WM, but I bet it would be substantial.

As John said, you're gonna have to come down for a match. We shoot early and often, and the SMT targets are a real joy to work with.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo: I appreciate that. I don't know if I belong in that crowd or not, but I try to only pass along truth or what I believe is closest to it.

Oh, you definitely belong on the list and close to the top. One of the most fascinating aspects of the long range/precision game is the realization that there are few 100% objective truths. Every rifle is different, every barrel, every bullet, every lot number of powder, etc. Generalities are there which allow for success but nothing can ever be nailed down 100%. It is awesome for that reason if no other.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    What this thread needs is a meet and greet at one of these 1,000 yard lines. It sounds like there are several here that can spread the knowledge they have gained, to those of us that would love to learn it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And there's another item we have mostly neglected.

SOME bullets do fairly well beyond their sonic range. An example that comes to mind is the .30 208 AMAX which, especially when over-twisted through an 8-twist, can be made to track well through transsonic and several hundred yards subsonic.

The obvious is also true that most bullets do not behave that way.

I have done well for groups with bullets that were right AT Mach 1 or 1.05, but it's not to be relied upon below about 1250.

Finally, and this is a big one at Atterbury, if you are not averaging 1,200 with a reasonable SD over the berm, you WILL lose shots that the sonic sensors can't hear, even if they were down the middle.

I know this well due to the limitations I impose on myself with a 20" tube.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    John, have you been down there since KD6 had a couple three hundred thousand of the NRA's pizza money put into improving the 600-1,000 berms? Man, it is a world of difference better. It's a legitimate 50-point 1,000 yardline.

Sadly, I have not natdscott, that pic is from 2014. I'm shooting my M-1A NM with an A&A Optics Viper PST 4-16 x 50 scope. I need to get my priorities straight and get back out there.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What this thread needs is a meet and greet at one of these 1,000 yard lines. It sounds like there are several here that can spread the knowledge they have gained, to those of us that would love to learn it.

I know the people needed to make that happen. I think there are a LOT of INGO members that would jump at that opportunity.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And there's another item we have mostly neglected.

SOME bullets do fairly well beyond their sonic range. An example that comes to mind is the .30 208 AMAX which, especially when over-twisted through an 8-twist, can be made to track well through transsonic and several hundred yards subsonic.

The obvious is also true that most bullets do not behave that way.

I have done well for groups with bullets that were right AT Mach 1 or 1.05, but it's not to be relied upon below about 1250.

Finally, and this is a big one at Atterbury, if you are not averaging 1,200 with a reasonable SD over the berm, you WILL lose shots that the sonic sensors can't hear, even if they were down the middle.

I know this well due to the limitations I impose on myself with a 20" tube.

I rest my case

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The only thing is, and it's a big un: unless a guy has some familiarity with long(er) range in open country, parking the car at 1,000 is not the place to start. You are likely to leave feeling beaten up ( though we all do from time-to-time).

But I'd be totally for an LR or MR or Course clinic, class, whatever...down at Atterbury.

-Nate

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I know the people needed to make that happen. I think there are a LOT of INGO members that would jump at that opportunity.
    Sounds like you're in charge of organizing this, then. Thanks for stepping up! :laugh:

I have no expectations of shooting a mile, but I would like to get to 1,000.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sounds like you're in charge of organizing this, then. Thanks for stepping up! :laugh:

I have no expectations of shooting a mile, but I would like to get to 1,000.

I have rifle and ammo ready to go. Let me see what I can do with that for 2018. I have friends (natdscott, phylodog) that can help with this.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The only thing is, and it's a big un: unless a guy has some familiarity with long(er) range in open country, parking the car at 1,000 is not the place to start. You are likely to leave feeling beaten up ( though we all do from time-to-time).

But I'd be totally for an LR or MR or Course clinic, class, whatever...down at Atterbury.

-Nate
    You nailed it.
    To me, 1,000 is a goal, not a starting point. Goals change and improve with time and experience. For the equipment I have now, 1,000 is the goal. If that is to much fun, then I'll start looking for a .408 CheyTac.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven’t looked that closely at 6.5, is it a real contender? I’m slightly hesitant to jump into a “newer” caliber.

Why hesitant to look at newer calibers? Believe it or not, calibers, powders, rifles, optics, bullets, etc have made more progress in the last 15 years than they did in the 50 before. You give someone like Carlos Hathcock modern equipment, and I think everyone would be in awe (spelling????) Of what he could do.

ShawnAgne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2016
    Versailles
    I'll post the 2018 CIHPRS schedule after we have our BOD meeting next Saturday but essentially the last weekend of every month (March through Sept.) is a 3x1000 on Saturday and a Palma on Sunday.

Regarding the 6.5 Creedmore it is a .260 Remington with a different case shape and the Creedmore marketing department behind it. Performance is no different than that of the .260. Essentially the CM cartridges are just their versions of the .243, .260 and 7mm-08. With a 30" barrel your going to get around 2,850fps with a 142gr SMK. Which is about 100fps slower than where the 6.5x284's like to shoot. Is it ballistically with the .243, 284 Win, 6.5x284, 280 Rem, 7mm RSAUM no, but you're not super handicapped either. If you want one cartridge to shoot course/mid/long the .260/6.5x47/6.5CM all work just fine. However the 6.5CM doesn't have all the super powers that some associate to it, just has a good marketing/hype machine pushing it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'll post the 2018 CIHPRS schedule after we have our BOD meeting next Saturday but essentially the last weekend of every month (March through Sept.) is a 3x1000 on Saturday and a Palma on Sunday.

Regarding the 6.5 Creedmore it is a .260 Remington with a different case shape and the Creedmore marketing department behind it. Performance is no different than that of the .260. Essentially the CM cartridges are just their versions of the .243, .260 and 7mm-08. With a 30" barrel your going to get around 2,850fps with a 142gr SMK. Which is about 100fps slower than where the 6.5x284's like to shoot. Is it ballistically with the .243, 284 Win, 6.5x284, 280 Rem, 7mm RSAUM no, but you're not super handicapped either. If you want one cartridge to shoot course/mid/long the .260/6.5x47/6.5CM all work just fine. However the 6.5CM doesn't have all the super powers that some associate to it, just has a good marketing/hype machine pushing it.

Thank you for posting Sir. We would certainly enjoy an opportunity to have a meet and greet shoot in 2018.

ShawnAgne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2016
    Versailles
    As far as the clinics for our matches so long as they're not regionals or state championships we don't care if someone coaches/works with new shooters. Just the person isn't elligible for any NRA National records or club records or winning the match if they're being coached. As far as hosing actual clinics the best time for that would be during the match offseason Oct-Feb as rest the time we're pretty busy running matches and there is a fair amount of activity at the base especially March through early June.

Top Bottom