• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Do yourself and your wife a favor and file right away.

File now, start the process. Get over the male ego that you can't take / don't need money from the government. If you find you need it having the process started now will be helpful. Then you can focus on finding a job instead of dealing with a government agency. If at the end of the day you find out you didn't need the unemployment money then make a donation to your favorite charity. You can spend money far more wisely than the government.

ps Sorry about the job loss and good luck in your search.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Being let go in the TV industry is not uncommon.
    I worked for the big state run network in Kentucky, after 14 years I was let go.

I would.....
    Not talk bad about your former employer.
    Find out who runs the local SBE chapter, get the word out through them that you are available, these guys have contacts.
    Consider changing job descriptions, we recently brought a photog / editor into engineering, he is working out fine.

Also, just because a position is not advertised, does not mean that it does not exist.
    I got my last job by applying for a position as an operator, the GM saw my resume and sent it to engineering.

With repack underway, transmitter companies (Gates air) and tower companies (ERI) are running full bore.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I’m actually hoping to ride out my optyas far as income until April. Here is why, I’m worried that if do get a job, I won’t be able to get time off come early March (or sooner), when the baby is due.

I dont know if i want back into television. I enjoyed parts (programming and timing out the logs), but I wasn’t in much of other areas. With my wife’s job that takes care of the household bills, I want something I’m going to be happy with long term. I know I might not get paid what I was before. I have thought about going to work at the hospital my wife works at as an orderly or something else I could do. Even thought about going to the other station in town if I had to.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    let the new job [when u get it] that u need time off and why, ive had good luck with letting them know before hand. good luck. i just changed carers. im making less but more happy and see my kids more. i wont miss there school programs again [work at the same school] i enjoyed my winters off but unemployment money helps. [i was in construction] now i work year round.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Last week decided that I need adult conversation and since my daughter gets up pretty much when we do and goes to bed when we do (something I would’ve done differently and will with my next child), my wife and I don’t have us time. We get adult time occasionally when papa babysits. Last week was bad, I was to the point that I wanted to work so I’m going to start applying to jobs. Luckily some business owners I know have openings. I’m hoping for a day shift starting right out even if it means not in the broadcasting business. 10 years plus of 3pm to midnight or worse sucks for future of trying to be a father when school starts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last week decided that I need adult conversation and since my daughter gets up pretty much when we do and goes to bed when we do (something I would’ve done differently and will with my next child), my wife and I don’t have us time. We get adult time occasionally when papa babysits. Last week was bad, I was to the point that I wanted to work so I’m going to start applying to jobs. Luckily some business owners I know have openings. I’m hoping for a day shift starting right out even if it means not in the broadcasting business. 10 years plus of 3pm to midnight or worse sucks for future of trying to be a father when school starts.

Good luck, sir. I've been job hunting since 08/22. One interview so far!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    your employer paid into it for you, take it now.
    No, the employer didn't pay in for you. The employer paid an amount based on their records, and some tables and equations... Basically insurance in the event that someone draws from it.

That's kind of like saying, "taxpayers paid in, so go get that free healthcare!"

It might be right in a micro-scale, but not a macro-scale. Thjere's such thing as a free lunch, and unemployment cost everyone and is no different than any other welfare in that respect.

Worked at a tv station, I have peeked around but would to not work until next spring if possible. I only say this as our baby is due in March and being able to bond with the baby after it is born for a month or so. My wife has a job good and we have a financial back up plan for when she is off and not getting paid.

So, you don't want to work, and but still want someone to give you money. Got it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket conservative / libertarian, but whatever happened to self-sufficiency and finding a job? It's Xmas time, and every big box store is hiring. Then in the spring you'll have time to "bond".

FTR: every severance package I got was two weeks or less.

As to $9000 in college debt, is that from pre-2001? Have you actually been keeping that albatross around your neck that long? I do believe you can defer those payments until you're employed again and not incur penalties.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m also not going to lose my severance for getting a job, it should also last until close to time for the baby to be born.

That's good news. I have my severance already. It won't last long even with my recently applied austerity measures, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I'm not expecting much action employment-wise now that we're at the end of the year and hoping January will be better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, the employer didn't pay in for you. The employer paid an amount based on their records, and some tables and equations... Basically insurance in the event that someone draws from it.

That's kind of like saying, "taxpayers paid in, so go get that free healthcare!"

It might be right in a micro-scale, but not a macro-scale. Thjere's such thing as a free lunch, and unemployment cost everyone and is no different than any other welfare in that respect.

So, you don't want to work, and but still want someone to give you money. Got it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket conservative / libertarian, but whatever happened to self-sufficiency and finding a job? It's Xmas time, and every big box store is hiring. Then in the spring you'll have time to "bond".

FTR: every severance package I got was two weeks or less.

As to $9000 in college debt, is that from pre-2001? Have you actually been keeping that albatross around your neck that long? I do believe you can defer those payments until you're employed again and not incur penalties.

You know, there has always been something about your opinions and views that tend to be off putting. Like you are up here and talking down to us.
    I am saying this in a personal way and not as a staff member here on Ingo. I have been self employed and had employees. The cost of having those employees was a definite number based on what I had to pay out including Soc. Sec and the unemployment benefit plus the hourly etc and so on. But you already know this.

That you talk down to the OP is a bit off putting to me. Again this is personal. My own feelings on this.

Do as you will with this I really do not care. But I do read a lot of what is posted in this forum. There are many that I feel compelled to read. You are one of those members. Again.........I am sure this will have zero effect on you and no worries.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're right. Thank you for point it out.

I owe an apology to the OP. I got caught up in the issues and politics and ignored the despair and anxiety that the OP is feeling. Sometimes it's too easy to forget there's a real person on the other end of the intertoobz. I've been fired several times and know it's a terrible feeling. My lack of sympathy was very disrespectful.

Mea culpa.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    That stinks man. I got the axe in April 2017. I was at the unemployment office the next day. Didn't know you could do it all online.

15 years, I got the don't let the door hit ya. My boss and I had gotten to know each other fairly well. He was pale white as HR gave me a one word reason while I was being terminated. 2 months later I was once again employed.

They did pay out my 3 weeks of vacation. Unemployment didn't kick in until after that. The unemployment office also said don't lose the card, if lose your job again you can reuse it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Worked at a place for 10 years....bookkeeper stole millions...company had to sell...she went to federal prison and some of us got the axe from the new owners....happened around November 1st 20 something...took 4 months to get a decent job, I think I collected 12 weeks of unemployment ($320 a week gross) then 18 months later the new employer got bought out...when your company says they are merging but the name is changing, you lose. So I got riffed again but this was in July of 20 something...so I had a new job a week before my last day at the job I lost....also...don't be 60 looking for work, age discrimination is alive and well in Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That stinks man. I got the axe in April 2017. I was at the unemployment office the next day. Didn't know you could do it all online.

You can do some things online, but not all. I have to submit copies of some pay stubs I received after I applied. There is no way to submit them online. I have to either mail them via USPS mail or go to an office and present them (no office in my town).

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    So an update.

Baby will I’ll be here within a week.

Onto the job front. I have applied or talked to people on four open positions. Two turned out to be part time. The two others were at the other tv station in town. I’m pretty sure I will be offered one of those positions. I had an interview last week. The guy wants me to work there. Pay sucks, drive sucks, shift sucks but is better then my old shift other then working weekends. If offered, I would start the 3rd or 17th. I more then likely got my last full severance check Friday, then will have one for half of what I’ve been getting. My car payment is paid through May and my car insurance will be paid for six months after I pay it soon.

I dont know how many believe in god, but everything seems to be working out just fine. I have never worried about getting a job, how to pay for things, or anything in the time since I lost my job. Up to that point everything had worked out so why worry. My origins plan was to work in televised in my town for 3-5 years after college, then go to Indy. I tried to go to Indy and that didn’t work. Had I gone to Indy, I would’ve never met my wife and had the life I have now. I never did apply for unemployment and looks like I won’t have to.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My wife is a big believer in "things happen for a reason" and when you step back and look at the big picture I can see that as a truth. Of course I also believe that you have a hand in making your own "luck" in both your education and attitude. I have a coworker that is a great guy and would give you the shirt off his back but it seems like every couple of days life hands him a huge **** sandwich. I truly believe it's due to the dark cloud that he has constantly hanging over his head.

I've tried to make him understand that life hands him things he can handle and things he can't and he should learn to deal with the things he can control and learn to adapt and bend to the things he can't. The day I figured that simple truth out was the day my own dark cloud evaporated.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Of course things happen for a reason. Often that reason is that someone was lacking judgment or character. Or they are the innocent casualty of someone else's lack of the same.

My employer offers fairly lengthy severance for those of use who have been around awhile. Does that mean you couldn't collect Unemployment until *months* after being let go?

For the record-- I hate the big .gov social welfare programs, but as long as they exist I will not judge someone for taking advantage of them, nor would I be above it myself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom