• rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So an update.

Baby will I’ll be here within a week.

Onto the job front. I have applied or talked to people on four open positions. Two turned out to be part time. The two others were at the other tv station in town. I’m pretty sure I will be offered one of those positions. I had an interview last week. The guy wants me to work there. Pay sucks, drive sucks, shift sucks but is better then my old shift other then working weekends. If offered, I would start the 3rd or 17th. I more then likely got my last full severance check Friday, then will have one for half of what I’ve been getting. My car payment is paid through May and my car insurance will be paid for six months after I pay it soon.

I dont know how many believe in god, but everything seems to be working out just fine. I have never worried about getting a job, how to pay for things, or anything in the time since I lost my job. Up to that point everything had worked out so why worry. My origins plan was to work in televised in my town for 3-5 years after college, then go to Indy. I tried to go to Indy and that didn’t work. Had I gone to Indy, I would’ve never met my wife and had the life I have now. I never did apply for unemployment and looks like I won’t have to.

Good luck!

I've had more action in terms of employer response to my applications in the last few weeks than I did from 08/22/2018 through 01/01/2019. I had a good in-person interview a couple of weeks ago that led to me being "one of three final candidates," which I think meant "keep yourself available just in case the other two people don't accept our offer." My next in person interview is 02/22/2019 and it's for a job that is similar to what I have done before (which I didn't think would happen).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good luck!

I've had more action in terms of employer response to my applications in the last few weeks than I did from 08/22/2018 through 01/01/2019. I had a good in-person interview a couple of weeks ago that led to me being "one of three final candidates," which I think meant "keep yourself available just in case the other two people don't accept our offer." My next in person interview is 02/22/2019 and it's for a job that is similar to what I have done before (which I didn't think would happen).

Your experience mimics mine Rhino. I was laid off in Sept. had a couple discussions early on in Oct. then nothing until about three weeks ago. I had an interview last week and just found out I won't be getting an offer. Starting talks with a couple other companies.

It's nice to start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Your experience mimics mine Rhino. I was laid off in Sept. had a couple discussions early on in Oct. then nothing until about three weeks ago. I had an interview last week and just found out I won't be getting an offer. Starting talks with a couple other companies.

Yeah, it was tough to avoid being discouraged in December. My layoff was effective 11/02, but I was informed on 08/22. I thought that lead time would allow me enough room to secure a new job before I lost my old job. I was naive!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking the thread terrehautian, but I'm happy to announce I accepted a job offer today. I start Monday after spending the past 5 months without a job. It's the longest I've been out of work since I was 14 years old and I can't wait to get back to work.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking the thread terrehautian, but I'm happy to announce I accepted a job offer today. I start Monday after spending the past 5 months without a job. It's the longest I've been out of work since I was 14 years old and I can't wait to get back to work.

Congrats!!!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I know how you guys feel. Back in 09 I lost my IT job to downsizing. I was out of work for 1 whole year with a wife and 2 sons at home. It was so long I was getting towards the point of no more unemployment. Which I was grateful for, but did not amount to much money. Thankfully my wife was working. It was pretty dam discouraging and pretty scary. I did finally land an IT job in June of 2010. And I have been here ever since then rising up to IT Tech Support Manager. I have a great staff working for me our overall IT department is solid. It's been the best job I have ever had since starting work at the age of 16. Just turned 63 in early February and hope to retire @65. Good luck to anyone facing this challenge.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Huzzah!!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Huzzah!!!

You're next Joe.

The great thing about being laid off has been all of the time I've been spending with my young kids lately. Their mom and I are in the process of getting divorced so it's been a big adjustment for the kids. We split time with them 50-50, but because I've been home, I have been able to see my daughter for a few hours after school every day because the bus drops her off at my place. I had pulled my son out of pre-school to save money so he's been with me a lot too.

The funny thing is that we've been going to "story time" at the local library for the past few weeks and I am always the only Dad there. We went to today (sadly the last time for a while) and there were 4 other Dads there with their kids. Not sure why the sudden influx.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're next Joe.

The great thing about being laid off have been all of the time I has been spending with my young kids lately. Their mom and I are in the process of getting divorced so it's been a big adjustment for the kids. We split time with them 50-50, but because I've been home, I have been able to see my daughter for a few hours after school every day because the bus drops her off at my place. I had pulled my son out of pre-school to save money so he's been with me a lot too.

The funny thing is that we've been going to "story time" at the local library for the past few weeks and I am always the only Dad there. We went to today (sadly the last time for a while) and there were 4 other Dads there with their kids. Not sure why the sudden influx.

I hope so!

When I think about going through this with a big family to support, I cringe! I currently have the luxury of waiting for a good fit, so I don't have to take a much lower paying job and lose opportunities due to that obligation. If I had little mouths to feed and little bodies to clothe, I'd be answering phones in a call center and working behind the counter at a convenience store at night by now in addition to my other part time job.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been in the hospital since 7am, blood pressure went sky high, they gave her some medicine and it plummeted so much so they had to put the inducing on hold. Hospital food is terrible, it hasn’t always been that bad here but they changed companies so it is so bland I have to put a ton of salt on it other then bacon and ham I had was actually good and the lunch meat sandwich I had was good. If the room service food isn’t good I will be ordering out more then in.

Also so ingo is blocked hospital WiFi.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been in the hospital since 7am, blood pressure went sky high, they gave her some medicine and it plummeted so much so they had to put the inducing on hold. Hospital food is terrible, it hasn’t always been that bad here but they changed companies so it is so bland I have to put a ton of salt on it other then bacon and ham I had was actually good and the lunch meat sandwich I had was good. If the room service food isn’t good I will be ordering out more then in.

Also so ingo is blocked hospital WiFi.

My spouse had several long runs in the hospital last year and no ingo on the WiFi. I bit the bullet and used data. Screw it. A man has to have something.

Hopping for the best here.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Well folks my four month paid vacation ends Monday with perfect timing as I had a week off with the new baby. Best part I still get one more severance check in two weeks. I never doubted everything would work out, but it timed out perfectly.

Top Bottom