• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Looks very nice, I had the same window trim and the floor trim was almost the same but it was about 10" tall in a 1880's home I gutted in Anderson 30 years ago. I stripped all of the trim in that house and refinished it in a lighter color.
    When I sold the home on contract a few years later and after he had made the last payment he brought me through the house to show me the changes they had made.
    They painted every ****ing piece of wood that I had stripped and refinished. Including the two quarter sawn oak bedroom wardrobes in the bedrooms and installed Pergo over all of the heart pine floors...
    I was ill after seeing it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looks very nice, I had the same window trim and the floor trim was almost the same but it was about 10" tall in a 1880's home I gutted in Anderson 30 years ago. I stripped all of the trim in that house and refinished it in a lighter color.
    When I sold the home on contract a few years later and after he had made the last payment he brought me through the house to show me the changes they had made.
    They painted every ****ing piece of wood that I had stripped and refinished. Including the two quarter sawn oak bedroom wardrobes in the bedrooms and installed Pergo over all of the heart pine floors...
    I was ill after seeing it.
    Some people have no couth :lmfao:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I started stripping all of the old wiring (that i can get to easily) out of the house, and I've found a couple of scary surprises.
    This is old, cloth covered 12gauge wire.
    It was live and running the bathroom lights.
    When I pulled the wall open I found a mouse nest.
    When I removed the nest, this is what I found.
    The "green" wire on the right is corroded copper.
    It should have black plastic insulation around it.
    Not sure why mice would chew the insulation off, but this was the hot leg!
    No telling how long it had been like this.
    So glad it's all deenergized now.

Actually found a few chewed wiring spots, but this one is the worst, so far.

I'm lucky this place didn't burn down while I was trying to replace the wiring.
    20240102_104836.jpg

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I started stripping all of the old wiring (that i can get to easily) out of the house, and I've found a couple of scary surprises.

View attachment 322846
    One of the first things I did when I got my house was to begin ripping that cloth crap out and replacing it with proper Romex. There was one room that had a suspended ceiling and a three-way switch in it. When the switch was flipped, the lights would go out and according to my tester would energize the entire grid. There were junction boxes behind drywall, junctions that were not in boxes but just tape and tar fusing things together, nearly every light and socket on only two breakers, a real electrician's nightmare. Some cloth wire still remains for now, but I am 90% cloth free and grounded now.

Lpherr

Occupied
    We had a light over the kitchen sink, that would burn bulbs frequently.
    Out of boredom one day, I traced the wire and found that just below the floor, there was a taped connection. I pulled the tape off and the wires were crossed. I ran a new line from panel to fixture, and haven't burned a bulb in 21 years.

In-laws had an electrician add a light in their hallway. When the light was turned on, it would flicker and the bathroom light would flicker as well. Found he had connected to the bath light line, but crossed the wires. This was a two year old home.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    In-laws had an electrician add a light in their hallway. When the light was turned on, it would flicker and the bathroom light would flicker as well. Found he had connected to the bath light line, but crossed the wires. This was a two year old home.
    Sometimes the best way to do something is to do it yourself.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

View attachment 322846
    Mice like to chew up that pex plumbing to.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There was a furniture store in Bedford that had the cloth wire, wrapped post style electrical system, exposed on the walls and along the handrails on the stairs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just had to replace the last two 1942 vintage light switches in my house. When I rewired in 1996, it was the only OG circuit I left in place. It was a pair of three way switches for the upstairs landing light. Would have been a lot of tearing up walls and floor or ceiling to get to it. I left the switches because they worked fine and the wires in the boxes were VERY short. Grandpa didn't waste wire.

The switch at the bottom of the stairs recently started to sound like Rice Krispies when you turned it on so I replaced both. They don't make them like this anymore. Hell, they are probably rebuildable...

oUJ5Nl2l.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is this worth anything? It's in pretty bad shape, but the wheels still move and the steering works. 20240118_113224.jpg
    I've got a local mower repair shop that says they'll take it, but won't give anything for it.
    I don't want or need it, but I don't want to give a treasure away if it has any great value.
    It says Snapper Comet on the front cowling.
    I know nothing if these things. But I do recognize the Snapper name.
    Just wondered if this might be a collectable.
    Thanks for any help.

Top Bottom