• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just another attempt by congress to get back power they voted to give away. Some of the republican votes like Rand Paul are principle votes for an issue they champion no matter the executive. The dems are just trying to buck Trump...

That's exactly what it was. I didn't see the democrats that concerned about it when obama was President and he loved his drone strikes, it's just an issue now when Trump hits someone from their favorite evil empire lol. This was nothing more than another attempt to go after Trump, and the Republicans that voted for it are fools. I notice Young isn't bragging about this on his FB page and only a tiny blurb on his Senate page.

Although I fully support Trump in circumscribing Soleimani's future, I see these effects as a kind of win-win. Any retaking of congressional authority unwisely delegated to the executive is IMO a plus for America, provided congress doesn't repeat the mistakes that got them here in the first place. Remaking the judiciary in the constitutionalist mold, rather than the activist mold that has held sway, is arguably the single most important work being done by conservatives. Rebalancing what should be co-equal branches will be a net positive in the long run

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Although I fully support Trump in circumscribing Soleimani's future, I see these effects as a kind of win-win. Any retaking of congressional authority unwisely delegated to the executive is IMO a plus for America, provided congress doesn't repeat the mistakes that got them here in the first place. Remaking the judiciary in the constitutionalist mold, rather than the activist mold that has held sway, is arguably the single most important work being done by conservatives. Rebalancing what should be co-equal branches will be a net positive in the long run

As do I, but this, at this time, is just a partisan play, not something that will come up in the Bloomberg administration.

Trump was sent to break some glass, I hope that an outcome of his glass breaking is congress sees the folly of giving away their power. Just not sure this is the moment. If they were serious they could have spent some political capital explaining to the people they were getting power back they never should have surrendered and made it an issue instead of a talking point.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I don’t know for sure where I stand on this. The president is CINC, but I don’t think that should be unlimited. Declared wars seem to be rare now, but actual wars are common. He will veto it anyway and they won’t get the votes to over ride it. I will probably still vote for young. This being a gun board, I am continually perplexed by statements like above. What are the other options, in regard to gun rights? Third party? Please. That is the same as voting Democrat. Theoretically I get it isn’t, but in practice it is. If other things outweigh your views on gun rights, then I get it; but not voting for a gun rights candidate because of this seems short sighted to me. Your opinion is different though, and that is okay.

I'll correct you - it's a Political Discussion on a Gun Forum. Not everything is 100% Gun Rights. Even though the protection of the 2nd Amendment is one of the most important things to me so are other issues such as taking out terrorists when the opportunity is present. If you only vote based on gun rights then I think you are narrow minded. Plus Young likes Red Flag laws so you might want to check and see if he's really pro 2A? AND I never said I would vote for a Democrat! Just won't vote for Young.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Reducing the ability of the executive to drag the country into a war without the approval of congress is a GREAT thing.

And I'm not quite sure how voting for someone who supports infanticide is somehow a principled objection.

I'm not voting for a Democrat. Just won't vote for Young and I know you'll say it's all the same. Not sure how you twisted that I would vote for someone promoting infanticide?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll correct you - it's a Political Discussion on a Gun Forum. Not everything is 100% Gun Rights. Even though the protection of the 2nd Amendment is one of the most important things to me so are other issues such as taking out terrorists when the opportunity is present. If you only vote based on gun rights then I think you are narrow minded. Plus Young likes Red Flag laws so you might want to check and see if he's really pro 2A? AND I never said I would vote for a Democrat! Just won't vote for Young.

Obviously you can do what you choose, but not voting is just allowing others to make the decision. If a really bad bill came up, who would we stand the best chance of convincing to vote our way? Young has voted for all the judges McConnel has been running through to my knowledge. If you are looking for any candidate that 100% agrees with you you will be perennially disappointed. We only get to chose the best of who is on the ballot. I'm certainly no Young fan but he is light years ahead of any dem that would run against him.

Vote against him in the primary but keep him instead of a dem...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I guess I will clarify. I lean towards not letting a president get us into a new war, Iraq is the example I would use. I do think they should be able to respond to hostile actions, the Iranian general is the example I would use. President is CINC, Congress controls the budget. I get that. I agree with that, but 15 plus year wars, even though it wasn’t declared, should not happen. Your mileage may vary of course.

To my understanding, a time critical threat to the country or our troops could still be responded to.

But actions that aren't essential to protecting our people or our country, in an immediate fashion, would require congress.

I'm not voting for a Democrat. Just won't vote for Young and I know you'll say it's all the same. Not sure how you twisted that I would vote for someone promoting infanticide?

Apathy in the face of a great evil is no different than committing the evil act.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    To my understanding, a time critical threat to the country or our troops could still be responded to.

But actions that aren't essential to protecting our people or our country, in an immediate fashion, would require congress.

Apathy in the face of a great evil is no different than committing the evil act.

How did we get to talking about Benghazi? :dunno:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So...if not voting for Young (at best a 70% R) will you cast a vote for the candidate who will do 0% of what you want and 100% of what you don't want? Or is there a primary option? I would support that, not getting something far worse.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

That's a tad bit hyperbolic isn't it? The Democrats are no more evil than I think Republicans are evil. Sure, I think both are misguided on a number of things, but flat out evil? As a collective group? No.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has been a very interesting read...….:)

I have my opinions about the man but they mirror how I feel about most every one of those who sit in the seats of power and seek only to stay there. Govern by poll results and work the back side in the shadows for personal gain.

They all Suck.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hey, you guys do know that Todd Young is a Marine. Yep, a Marine that proudly served in the Marine Corps.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Does anyone have the link handy to the actual bill or resolution? I want to read it so that I can develop an informed opinion.

NO politician will ever be what I want them to be, and they shouldn't. Support for any elected legislator is a balancing act and judgement call on the part of each citizen. Senator Young however; has on balance had my support. Senator Braun however; well just let's say he's better than the last POS to hold the seat...

What I do know, is that much of what is published and broadcast is garbage. Reading source documents, such as parts of the Mueller report, the Constitution etc. is always prudent when considering what the press is telling you.

Keep in mind the Constitution states in Article I, Section VIII: The Congress shall have Power... To declare war, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal...

The President is Commander in Chief and is the civilian authority over the Military and of the Militia (many of us) when called into actual service. [Ed. emphasis added] I agree the President should have wide latitude to unilaterally address immediate threats. Congress however; still need to do their job regarding declarations of war.

Top Bottom