• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's a tad bit hyperbolic isn't it? The Democrats are no more evil than I think Republicans are evil. Sure, I think both are misguided on a number of things, but flat out evil? As a collective group? No.

Murdering children out of convenience and attempting to legislate away the people's only way to say no to the government, is unquestionably evil.
    That's not misguided or poorly informed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Murdering children out of convenience and attempting to legislate away the people's only way to say no to the government, is unquestionably evil.
    That's not misguided or poorly informed.

I don’t believe you think abortion is murder. At least not how society views it. That’s a trigger word conservatives tend to latch on to. I have a fair bet you have never met a woman that has had an abortion. Now I disagree with abortion completely, but I don’t hold those who do it, as murderers.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don’t believe you think abortion is murder. At least not how society views it. That’s a trigger word conservatives tend to latch on to. I have a fair bet you have never met a woman that has had an abortion. Now I disagree with abortion completely, but I don’t hold those who do it, as murderers.

My aunt had 3 and has spent most of her life mourning her choices in her early adulthood.

What, empirically, makes you a person, distinct from organic matter next to you? That difference is your DNA. At conception, the baby has its own unique DNA, completely separate from both the mother and father. This makes it an individual unique from its parents. The only logically consistent conclusion is that once it has its own unique DNA, it becomes murder to kill it.

You're free to attempt to define personhood, but most on the left raise the bar so high their logic justifies killing of the mentally ill, disabled, or potentially even genocide. And how do they refute those things potentially happening? "We're the government, we'd never do something like that."

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sorry but this is a bad take. Power must be removed from the executive branch. If you complained about any of BO's executive actions, you should want this. The president should have to declare a formal war before military action is used. Once war is declared, I'm ok with strategic decisions being made. But not outside a formal declaration.

Wake up. The president was never meant to be a king with a 4/8 year term. Power needs to go back to the legislature.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry but this is a bad take. Power must be removed from the executive branch. If you complained about any of BO's executive actions, you should want this. The president should have to declare a formal war before military action is used. Once war is declared, I'm ok with strategic decisions being made. But not outside a formal declaration.

Wake up. The president was never meant to be a king with a 4/8 year term. Power needs to go back to the legislature.

You get it.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Todd Young is a garbage-fire person but not because he wants to formally limit the president's power to wage punitive war on countries thousands of miles away and posing no danger to us.

He's an awful representative because he supports importing a horde of foreign workers to displace native-born Americans in skilled professions. Even the notionally liberal, politically progressive Salesforce donates to him, being that they're one of the top H-1B visa users in the country and have spent millions lobbying for S. 386 in the past two years.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

But you will not be who sits in judgement of them

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    We absolutely need the executive's war powers to be drastically curtailed, with much stricter controls on size and duration of unapproved operations as well as the closing out of the Bush-era Eternal AUMFs. The Constitution gives Congress the power to decide whether this nation enters a war, not the President.

It won't always be your guy in the White House. The people and their representatives have the right to decide if and when American boys are sent to die. America is not a monarchy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's a tad bit hyperbolic isn't it? The Democrats are no more evil than I think Republicans are evil. Sure, I think both are misguided on a number of things, but flat out evil? As a collective group? No.
    I guess evil is as evil does. In a non-religious context “evil” just means an existentially dangerous ideology. Both sides have that on their fringes, but the left has a way more powerful fringe than the right does. I think most rank and file Democrats don’t agree with the fringe, but they tend to pretend that it doesn’t exist in the positions of power. The few that are willing to admit that they have a real problem are too few to do anything about it, and are just talked down by those with the power.

Some people on the right have the same kind of problem. But in a practical sense it’s not existential because they don’t have the institutional power to force their ideological goals on people. The left fringe is much more politically powerful. Like George Takei said, they’re well funded and organized. They have the teachers unions, the universities, the courts, although that’s changing with the Trump administration. They have social media, though there’s a large counterculture active there too. They have the media, so they can selectively tell whatever stories they want and have the rest of the media reinforce. They have Hollywood so they can make straw monsters appear in the stead of sound opposition.

So I’d say the left fringe meets my non-religious definition of “evil” way more than the right does.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yes. I do agree with the president having some emergency powers to react to actual threats, but then afterwards there needs to be a reckoning with congress whether the act was justified. Of course there are devils hidden in those details as well, because a highly partisan congress would politicize it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And if a dem controlled house does not like the explanation the President gives for he's actions, can they impeach him on that?

Just an exercise in political power...

Yes. I do agree with the president having some emergency powers to react to actual threats, but then afterwards there needs to be a reckoning with congress whether the act was justified. Of course there are devils hidden in those details as well, because a highly partisan congress would politicize it.

There certainly is a lot of details to be worked out that politics will not allow. We are failing to remember history. As a prelude to a future post: The Chinese may have us where they want us...

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    And if a dem controlled house does not like the explanation the President gives for he's actions, can they impeach him on that?

Just an exercise in political power...
    If not that, they'll hang their hat on something else. It's going to be shrieking Impeach! Impeach! Impeach! ad nauseam ad infinitum as long as the Democrats hold the House. It's beyond tragic they have nothing else productive to do legislatively.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If not that, they'll hang their hat on something else. It's going to be shrieking Impeach! Impeach! Impeach! ad nauseam ad infinitum as long as the Democrats hold the House. It's beyond tragic they have nothing else productive to do legislatively.

Not sure that would be better, everything they want to di is not productive to me...

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The taking out of Soleimani could be argued as permissible under the now binding resolution. Soleimani was in Iraq as an Iranian General engaging in the planning of operations in Iraq against US forces. Those Iraqis he was with were legitimate targets then and still are now. Soleimani's power position within the Iranian government is irrelevant to the issue. That he was a general in their army makes him an unquestionable combatant, and that is relevant. I believe the message is telling Trump not to start a war with Iran. I don't believe it's his objective, which was taking out a terrorist responsible for hundreds of US Armed Forces KIAs when he became a legitimate military target, nor do I believe engaging in hostilities with Iran would end well. As Commander in Chief and Chief Executive over the State Department, he has a Ministerial Duty to protect US Forces and State Department diplomats, one which Clinton violated as Sec'y of State. Failing to diligently carry out a Ministerial Duty is unquestionably Malfeasance in Office. In the US military, it falls under Article 94 of the UCMJ as Dereliction of Duty. At the least, failing to carry out Ministerial Duties can be enforced by a Writ of Mandamus from a court with jurisdiction. There are other remedies for egregious Malfeasance in Office including criminal indictment - or Impeachment if they hold an impeachable office.

Ministerial Duty for those that might not know what it is:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministerial_act

John

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    You need to send a letter/email to Todd Young’s
    office telling him that you disapprove of his vote and why. He most likely won’t see your post here.

I sent him an e-mail BEFORE the vote because I heard him say he was considering voting with the Dems. He responded that he would take my concern into consideration before making his vote and yada yada. So no need to write him another letter. My family and I aren't voting for him and some of my family members have went door to door and in parades etc to campaign for him in the past. Not anymore. I won't vote Dem either. I hope the Party runs another Republican against him.

Top Bottom