• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had my sump, which seldom runs keep running several years ago. House was still under warranty (we had a bumper to bumper 4 year warranty basically). The folks who had installed it came out and said it was essentially vapor or maybe vacuum locked (not sure if that's the proper term here, but you get the idea). It was unable to push water past the backflow (again, not sure this is the right term). He drilled a hole in the PVC between the pump and the backflow, that now spits some water back into the sump pit, but a small amount compare to what it is pushing out. This was to keep it from getting into this state again. It has not done it again since. Might something similar to this have caused your issue, Doc?

All that said, my pump is almost 10 years old now. It doesn't really run much, but I probably should get it replaced just as a preventative measure I'm guessing. The basement is unfinished, but I had a couple of companies quote replacement of main pump and installing either a battery back up a water backup system. Seemed like both were going to be in the $1800 range. Is that about right?

I'm not very mechanically inclined, and on something like this would hate to mess it up and cause myself a real problem. I may just have the primary pump replaced for now and go with the added options when we look at finishing the basement.

Anyone have any recommendations on brands of pumps, etc, and I know this is mainly a DIY crowd, but anyone have good recommendations for company to do this?

Thanks

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been fighting the sump pump wars since we moved back to Indiana. There is always water going into my crock, too. I have a 10' basement, so the pump needs to be pretty powerful. I keep searching and upgrading when I replace the sump pump. As you know the float switch is the weak link in the system. I recently installed this sump pump which has a dual float switch. Shop Utilitech 0.75-HP Aluminum Submersible Sump Pump at Lowes.com

I also have a problem with the contaminants that go into the crock with the water. It is like a red mud. After it dries it looks like extremely fine red dust. After a period of time, the red mud clogs up the pump intakes, as well as, the discharge pipes. The last time I replaced the pump, I had to clean or replace all the PVC pipes. One of the pipes was so clogged, it only had a quarter inch hole for the water to pass through. I feel your pain and hope you find a solution. One other thing you might try is to have a drain installed near the crock, where if the pump fails, the overflow goes into your drain pipes for your grey water. That could prevent flooding in an emergency situation like you just had.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had a similar problem in our first house and yes the ammo can be dried out. Just unbox it and spread it around, if the boxes dry out in bad shape just find another container.

Stories like these make me glad I live on a high ridge.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a bunch of these that leak water when you pick it up, thoughts?

[/QUOTE You must open up all the wet cases and dry out the rounds if exposed to water. If you are lucky, there is thick plastic sealing the rounds inside the cases. If the rounds are exposed, you will have to take them out and dry them before putting them loose in ammo cans. I keep all ammo and ammo cans up off the floor on top on wooden pallets. You have your work cut out for you.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You may want to look into exterior drainage to be sure you are doing all you can to channel water away. Sumps running constantly indicate this could be a problem. I once had a house built and the basement flooded every time it rained. We had one sump pump but it was a large basement and lots of water came in. Turns out my genius of a contractor didn't put in inside drain tile so the water just came in. About $100 of prevention during construction would have saved me over $5K in remediation. Bottom line; had some pros come in and blast out the concrete floor two feet all around the perimeter of the basement. They installed drain tile and 2 sump pumps one at each end. It worked out fine but cost me over $5K. The chance of both sumps quitting at the same time seemed remote and we sold before either one quit.

Next house I installed a battery backup. It was a PITA to maintain. It beeped when something was wrong and you had to figure out what it needed. It quit after about three years and I appealed to the manufacturer (some outfit in Glenview, forget the name). Even though it was out of warranty they gave me a replacement. Sold the house before it became a problem again and now live in a house that has a sump but no pump. House is ten years old and never has had a drop of water in the basement. I will not move!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey Doc,

I hope everything works out well for you! Just keep things in perspective and think of what some of your clients are facing today. That said, it still sucks.

Good luck!

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good news, only 1800 rounds wet. 1500 shells of .9mm had wet outer box but dry

Yes, we have a live in nanny. She's technically an "au pair". It's essentially a work-study program through state department. SheMz from Brazil and yes, I have pictures though it wouldn't be polite to post.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good news, only 1800 rounds wet. 1500 shells of .9mm had wet outer box but dry

Yes, we have a live in nanny. She's technically an "au pair". It's essentially a work-study program through state department. SheMz from Brazil and yes, I have pictures though it wouldn't be polite to post.

Is she​ aware you have pictures?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hey Doc,

I hope everything works out well for you! Just keep things in perspective and think of what some of your clients are facing today. That said, it still sucks.

exactly. Thing I'm most upset about is a painting my grandmother did was a large blemish on it now.

i do believe in spiritual warfare. This week we were going to host a friend's party and make an effort to engage with our friends more. Then we both get sick. Then the hottub craps out. Then I make plans to get away with my son and work on that relationship and the basement floods.

Hey Satan, back off :ar15:

Ammo: it's what's for dinner (I found another box of 450 I had set aside, water was pouring out of the box earlier :( )

Last edited:

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    My previous house must have been built right above a wet weather spring. Sump pump would run for a day or three after every rain. We had 2 sump pumps fail and water in basement twice. I ended up buying a sump pump from lowes with a one year warranty. I always returned it for another one in about the eleventh month of the twelve month warranty. Also did the battery back up system, bought a generator for those long power outages and kept a cheaper spare sump pump on hand for extra help or in case of an emergency breakage.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My advice, don't let anything interfere with your father son weekend. Problems will still be there when you get back. Some of my favorite memories are of my son and I going for Father/Son weekends at Camp Lutherhaven every year, man I miss those days.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Only thing I hate worse than a flood in the house is, the maid,nanny,butler,cook(wife)can't figure out how to stop it, even after being instructed, how to, many times.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Man I loved camp lutherhaven. I spend a week there twice as a kid, my brother spent more time. My dad went in the 60s I think. My uncle was on their board recently.

Anyone in in central to northern Indiana should consider that for a kid's camp experience

And you're right, we're still going. My younger son felt jealous and excluded so he's in the car too. We're by Martinsville Sportsman club on our way :):

My advice, don't let anything interfere with your father son weekend. Problems will still be there when you get back. Some of my favorite memories are of my son and I going for Father/Son weekends at Camp Lutherhaven every year, man I miss those days.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've never understood the idea of relying on a pump running 24/7 to keep a basement dry. If there's that much water in the area they probably shouldn't have put in a basement. I grew up in a house with a full basement and no pumps for anything and it was always 100% dry even in the worst of rain. We actually put a humidifier down there to add some humidity. I know most new houses are built with sump pumps but it always amazes me that no one has come up with a better solution.
    There are better/additional systems!

Top Bottom