• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OK... AuqaNot + Zoeller 53 combo pack going into the primary pit tomorrow. Also going to plumb in another Zoeller 53 into the secondary pit as a backup. Our home alarm system sent off a sump alarm but we didn't have the system monitored and no one saw it for what it was. Got that functional again so we should be GTG moving forward.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OK... AuqaNot + Zoeller 53 combo pack going into the primary pit tomorrow. Also going to plumb in another Zoeller 53 into the secondary pit as a backup. Our home alarm system sent off a sump alarm but we didn't have the system monitored and no one saw it for what it was. Got that functional again so we should be GTG moving forward.

Tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox said it was full.

Would you mind giving us an idea what it cost for the primary pit? I'm looking into systems myself. Is this a water powered backup, or battery backup? (I can do some looking online, but wanted to get an idea of what this would cost, installed.

Thanks in advance doc.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wow, that's one expensive system! Hope it works out for you. With my 10' basement, battery powered backup pumps don't have enough power to pump out the water, that's why I went with the dual float system and floor drain.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    work is getting busy so I'll post more later, but I've seen the 12v battery backups that will pump 16' with decent flow rate still. Have you looked at them lately? At 15' the AquaNot says it will still do 20gpm

Aquanot® Active 508 - Zoeller Pump Company

I bought everything from a plumbing supply store on south side of Indy. The AGM battery with the ProPac combo thing and another Zoeller 53 was around $1100.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoeller-507-0008-Pre-assembled-Battery-Backup/dp/B002N6VHXI

Can do better online if you don't need it today :)

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So everything is in place, looks great. Except main pump runs continuously and no water level changes. Seems they forgot to replace the check valve. I suspect that is what caused our problem with the last pump. Coming out again today to replace that.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Better get rid of them quick. I'll stop by this morning to pick them up for you.
    I live in a swamp called Wanamaker. I have two sump pumps in my sump pit. They run about every half hour to hour. That is emptying out about 30 gallons of water each time.

I have a bunch of these that leak water when you pick it up, thoughts?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So everything is in place, looks great. Except main pump runs continuously and no water level changes. Seems they forgot to replace the check valve. I suspect that is what caused our problem with the last pump. Coming out again today to replace that.
    In the last several years, I've learned more about sump pumps and how to install and replace them than any plumber. Not installing a check valve (or installing it backwards) is a glaring oversight.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    dang float switch went out on the zoeller 508. I had to lift the float a few times over the last few weeks then it wouldn't work and ran continuously. So I unplugged it and disconnected battery backup. Unfortunately I did that in a rush out the door and also unplugged our sewage ejector pump, and my brother came to visit that night :(

Good news is they have a 3-year warranty. Calling now. Second pump working swimmingly.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Oh wow. I was reading this thread and realized the post dates, was expecting to find at the end a runner had necroed it. Sump pumps suck :rolleyes:.

I don't have a basement to protect but as was mentioned up thread Franklin township is wet, so I have one to keep my crawl space dry. Last August we noticed a musty smell in one part of the house on the main floor, I have no idea how long the pump had been dead. Got a replacement Coleman 1/2 hp cast iron pump for under $180; it took as long to go buy it as it took to replace the dead one.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    dang float switch went out on the zoeller 508. I had to lift the float a few times over the last few weeks then it wouldn't work and ran continuously. So I unplugged it and disconnected battery backup. Unfortunately I did that in a rush out the door and also unplugged our sewage ejector pump, and my brother came to visit that night :(

Good news is they have a 3-year warranty. Calling now. Second pump working swimmingly.

And here I always thought it was the bro in law that got blamed for testing the plumbing to fail!:mullet:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    And here I always thought it was the bro in law that got blamed for testing the plumbing to fail!:mullet:

maxresdefault.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This forum reallycomes alive with plumbing issues :-)

Got the old pump out, this set off my house sump pump alarm so while I am down in the pit my phone is ringing to tell me my alarm is going off. Actually was happy that that happened for peace of mind sake.

The old pump is out, will replace it tomorrow. I am not a plumber but I can usually take apart a five piece puzzle and put it back together without much trouble

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    This forum reallycomes alive with plumbing issues :-)

Got the old pump out, this set off my house sump pump alarm so while I am down in the pit my phone is ringing to tell me my alarm is going off. Actually was happy that that happened for peace of mind sake.

The old pump is out, will replace it tomorrow. I am not a plumber but I can usually take apart a five piece puzzle and put it back together without much trouble

Your a doctor not a surgeon...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't have a sump.
    But I grew up with one.
    And I work on control systems in a steel mill with thousands of sumps.

First
    A battery back up is nice, BUT only a VERY temporary solution, like you're at the store when power fails.

Second.
    If you have a back up pump, either battery or wired, you should put some way to alert you that the back up is running. Such as a light or audible alarm.
    It needs to alarm where you can see/hear it. Doesn't do any good if the alarm is so far away, no one knows.
    The reason you need an alarm, first pump fails, back up kicks on. But then, you don't know the main failed. So the back up runs till it fails so many years later. Then, you have flooding again.
    If an alarm goes off, then you know, wow I better replace my main pump.
    You can wire the audible/visual alarm in parallel with the pump. Make sure to check voltages, must be compatible.

Third.
    If you have a float for the main, and a float for the back up, guess what. You can have a 3rd float, this one for an alarm.
    A high alarm. If this one goes off, something is really wrong.

Forth.
    You can have a water sensor, with an alarm.
    But to tell the truth, I have limited success with these.
    Too many failure to detect.
    Too many false positives.
    etc.

Top Bottom