• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    How your body handles hydration is more complex than most people understand, and it is a balance between fluid levels and electrolyte levels. The advice to just drink until you pee clear to light yellow only gives a first order approximation, do that too much and you can actually suffer from electrolyte loss and become quite sick or die. Drink too much too fast and your tissues can't absorb it no matter how dehydrated you are, you just end up pissing out the excess along with the electrolytes you need to stay properly hydrated. Most people can't absorb more than about half a liter an hour on the high end. Nor is there a magic formula as to how much to drink each day because it depends on numerous factors.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Of course you do, is the Mayo Clinic good enough for you?

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not? - Mayo Clinic

BTW, I AM a professional...

So, here's the question from the OP:

What hydrates my body better, iced tea or water? :40oz:

And this is what you linked:

Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

Still, caffeinated drinks can cause headaches and insomnia in some people. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie–free, caffeine–free, inexpensive and readily available.

Thank you for answering the question. :thumbsup:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another great example of military logic. We were in the barracks a few days before going out for a 10 day field exorcise. The senior nco's tell us we have to quit drinking soda because the caffeine will dehydrate us. All the while they're mainlining their coffee.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I only drink water. The sugar in soda and tea messes with my system now, and I tend to have to clear my throat a lot after drinking it.

On hot days, and after my workouts, and whenever I sweat a lot, I always drink Gatorade. Fruit punch and lemonade is my favorite. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Another great example of military logic. We were in the barracks a few days before going out for a 10 day field exorcise. The senior nco's tell us we have to quit drinking soda because the caffeine will dehydrate us. All the while they're mainlining their coffee.

And a day and a half later you are all getting no caffeine headaches that hurt like hammered hell.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Water is the only thing your body absorbes fastest. Anything else your body treats as fuel and starts to break it down. Using energy and water to do this.
    I stand by my statement that water is the only answer. Caffeine or no caffeine doesn't matter

Top Bottom