• ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    How your body handles hydration is more complex than most people understand, and it is a balance between fluid levels and electrolyte levels. The advice to just drink until you pee clear to light yellow only gives a first order approximation, do that too much and you can actually suffer from electrolyte loss and become quite sick or die. Drink too much too fast and your tissues can't absorb it no matter how dehydrated you are, you just end up pissing out the excess along with the electrolytes you need to stay properly hydrated. Most people can't absorb more than about half a liter an hour on the high end. Nor is there a magic formula as to how much to drink each day because it depends on numerous factors.

i guess your a doctor......so should you drink things like Gatorade then water when it's and i'm sweating my ass off working?....or just change back and forth?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Another great example of military logic. We were in the barracks a few days before going out for a 10 day field exorcise. The senior nco's tell us we have to quit drinking soda because the caffeine will dehydrate us. All the while they're mainlining their coffee.

Few years ago, I wanted to join the volunteer fire department. In our first class, the instructor/trainer told us we were not allowed to drink soda or anything with caffeine when in training. When he said this, he was smoking, and drinking a large bottle of Mountain Dew. And his belly was so large, there was no way he could see his feet.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Water is the only thing your body absorbes fastest.

While technically true from a strict ability to take in water through the stomach and intestines, it also is eliminated faster because it does not contain the electrolytes needed to allow the tissues to retain the water. So just because it passes through the intestinal wall fastest, doesn't mean it's best for rehydrating. Again, it's not a simple equation. Electrolyte balance in the body is crucial to proper hydration which is the end goal, not simply how fast you can create ****.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    so should you drink things like Gatorade then water when it's and i'm sweating my ass off working?....or just change back and forth?

Dilute gatorade or similar sports drinks, or if you can't stand it dilute then about a 1-1 ratio gatorade to water alternating back and forth. And if you are sweating your ass off then you are most likely depleting your sodium reserves and gatorade does not contain enough sodium or potassium to do the job properly (better than nothing at all but not optimal). Pedialyte is one of the best out there but I think it tastes nasty.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I agree with the electrolytes being important as well but the issue here is tea or water.

And the response is the difference between the two really isn't significant. If he likes the iced tea, great, if he likes the water, great. If you want to debate the difference between a couple of percentage points difference then by all means, you win the internets.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Green tea is better than black tee to drink but white tee is the best. Drink without any sweeteners and squeeze half a Lemmon in each glass. Lemon is full of minerals. Another great refresher and mineral replacer is to put a couple slices of watermelon in the blender and the. Add it to water. Been doing both for years. Avoid purified water as it leaches minerals out of your system. I am not a doctor I just know what works for me
    , and many many others

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Green tea is better than black tee to drink but white tee is the best. Drink without any sweeteners and squeeze half a Lemmon in each glass. Lemon is full of minerals. Another great refresher and mineral replacer is to put a couple slices of watermelon in the blender and the. Add it to water. Been doing both for years. Avoid purified water as it leaches minerals out of your system. I am not a doctor I just know what works for me
    , and many many others
    I like lome in my teas better than lemon but you get the same effect. My statement was made assuming black or green or a blen of the two type of tea. Not a lot of people even know there is a white tea let alone drink it. Good to find another tea drinker here. :)

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    , and many many others
    I like lime in my teas better than lemon but you get the same effect. My statement was made assuming black or green or a blen of the two type of tea. Not a lot of people even know there is a white tea let alone drink it. Good to find another tea drinker here. :)

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Water is the only thing your body absorbes fastest. Anything else your body treats as fuel and starts to break it down. Using energy and water to do this.
    I stand by my statement that water is the only answer. Caffeine or no caffeine doesn't matter

Firat part is not true. The osmolality is waht matters for most rapid absorption. Besides basic chemistry and biology being applied, Allen Lim explains here.

Top Bottom