• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I have stated this before. All my spouse and I will be doing is giving the kids a leg up.
    Spouse and I both would only make it out to the end of the meds anyway. After that it will be in a higher powers hands.

That's a very good point. I don't think the average person realizes what medications are being taken by those huddled masses, or how much medication is prescribed on a daily basis in this country. Visit the outpatient pharmacy at a local hospital on a Friday and notice the really long lines, or call in your script refill on a Friday and see what their turnaround time is. Think of the mental health scripts that can only be filled 30 days at a time and require extensive weaning if the patient needs to be changed to a different drug; the methadone clinics that only allow a one week supply because of the nature of the addiction... It will be a very short time frame before the un-medicated addicts or un-medicated mental health patients are driven to find a solution for themselves.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a very good point. I don't think the average person realizes what medications are being taken by those huddled masses, or how much medication is prescribed on a daily basis in this country. Visit the outpatient pharmacy at a local hospital on a Friday and notice the really long lines, or call in your script refill on a Friday and see what their turnaround time is. Think of the mental health scripts that can only be filled 30 days at a time and require extensive weaning if the patient needs to be changed to a different drug; the methadone clinics that only allow a one week supply because of the nature of the addiction... It will be a very short time frame before the un-medicated addicts or un-medicated mental health patients are driven to find a solution for themselves.

And those solutions will not be pleasant for others.
    I am a diabetic. Oral meds and well controlled. Diet etc. The reality's I will be facing once the meds run out and the available diet is not going to be easy. The spouse has a different set of issues. If everything falls into place she will need anti-rejection drugs so time will be short.
    Getting the kids some time is our sole focus if any of these scenarios come to pass.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "Until help arrives"........... How would you go about summoning help and why would "help" respond to you when virtually everybody needs help. You better be the help you need.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm also fairly healthy thanks to modern medicine. If I had been born earlier than say 1960 I wouldn't have lived past 34.
    I've instilled enough 'what if' questions to my son to have him in the proper mind frame.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What will be of natural gas when the grid goes down?

Shouldn't this be in that other forum? The one with the tin foil? :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Only a fool does not prepare.
    Only a bigger fool would look forward to using the preparations.

My sincerest prayers are usually "God, help all this to be a big waste of time and money."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Only a fool does not prepare.
    Only a bigger fool would look forward to using the preparations.

My sincerest prayers are usually "God, help all this to be a big waste of time and money."

:thumbsup:

Preps are not always for a SHTF situation as in societal or nature. We used some preps to get through a rough patch a few years ago.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why would people even need fuel? Our cars won't start and most people won't be able to get money for fuel anyway..........since they need to use a debit card and have no cash, gold or silver. Most generators will be destroyed by the EMP. Diabetics will suffer. Nursing homes and hospitals would have serious issues. I have no doubt I can hunt deer and fish to survive but my problem would be keeping the meat from ruining, hence wondering how ice would be supplied. I really was never taught how to survive without power, how to preserve meats, etc. I doubt if dad or grandpa ever gave that a thought when they were teaching me how to feed myself.

Pemmican. It's what's for dinner.

The Lost Ways | By Claude Davis ? The Lost Ways

I bought this (book only and soft cover for the same money) and consider it money very well spent.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    We won't.
    Usj16IV.jpg

Those might get your thru the first 48 hrs. Living in the shadow of a metropolitan city as you do, what is your plan for repelling the hoards of unprepared city dwellers that will be heading your way ready to relieve you of your earthly possessions when they can no longer get a loaf of bread at their local Piggly Wiggly ? I don't think your 10 gallon supply (estimated) of generator gasoline is going to go very far.

BTW, EMP is a real phenomenon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If an emp take down our grid, I'm bugging out to least populated place I could go.... heading south. In the short-term, no one panics, thinking everything will be alright. It might be, if it's not, the earlier you get out the better. If I can make it to Alabama or Arkansas, specifically "the settlement" in Alabama I have about 100 backwoods relatives that already live somewhat off the grid. And while it may take a week or two for my ears to catch up to their interesting was of talking, everything would be ok.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those might get your thru the first 48 hrs. Living in the shadow of a metropolitan city as you do, what is your plan for repelling the hoards of unprepared city dwellers that will be heading your way ready to relieve you of your earthly possessions when they can no longer get a loaf of bread at their local Piggly Wiggly ? I don't think your 10 gallon supply (estimated) of generator gasoline is going to go very far.

BTW, EMP is a real phenomenon.

I am fully aware of what an EMP strike is and its effects.
    This is just one of many links about it. Also another link up thread to a sticky that this has been openly discussed in.Solid info in here..
    Some Common Misconceptions about Nuclear EMP ? Benjamin Dancer
    EMP will have zero effect on those gennys.
    Who said 10 gallons. We are good for 30+ days on fuel. There is 14 gallons in the genny's in that pic. Fresh fuel stabilized and good for a year. These will get us through. Also having the ability to move fuel as in vehicle to vehicle or to containers is a plus and we have that ability. I built a set of 12volt fuel pumps to move fuel from drums to containers when we were racing. 2 Hi-Volume pumps piped together moves a good bit of fuel in a short time. They will also lift fuel a fair distance. Beyond their ability's to lift we have a solvent rated Diaphragm pump I used to move R-11 from chillers. It will lift 30 ft in the right conditions. Trust that we are prepared for the worst and hope never to use any of this past an ice storm length power failure.

We will have no issues repelling boarders. Any solid plan has to be well thought out with contingency. Grey man approach. It is not just me involved. When it comes to the comfort/safety of the G-kids no limits to what we as a group will do. Those who know me understand this.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    the gas infrastructure is largely self powered...by gas. It is more robust than any other utility, which is why my generator uses it and not propane, diesel or gasoline.

I am pretty up to speed on this as I have worked on some of the compressors that move the gas. It is robust but it to will fail in an infrastructure situation. It has to be manned. There are other issues with it as well.
    Yes it might be the last utility to fail but it will especially local. Electricity is key to distribute.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    the gas infrastructure is largely self powered...by gas. It is more robust than any other utility, which is why my generator uses it and not propane, diesel or gasoline.

That used to be the case... but not true anymore. EPA regs forced many of the NG power pumping stations off-line, to be replaced by electric pumping stations. Don't believe me, look at the Texas ice-storm/blackout several years back. People with NG heat assumed they would be ok as long as they had enough juice to power the blower and control board on their furnace. That was the rude awakening that when the power goes out, so does the natural gas...

Top Bottom