If you are attacked, where are you supposed to shoot the perp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Nope. I am not sure how the data is relevant in the slightest degree. But thanks for adding to the discussion anyway.

Seems pretty logical to me. If the BG was approaching with the gun pointed directly at me, I may want to hit him in area that would cause the hand muscles to relax and possibly drop the gun - not in an area that would cause them to contract (& possibly pull the trigger). But that's just me.

Again - I am not saying that I could be that precise in a stressful situation

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The last two times, I just shot the gun out of their hand. If they're running, I limit myself to 100 yards to avoid collateral damage.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is what it looks like when I don't get all worked-up over "center of mass."

Okay, I can't take it ...

For those who insist on saying "center of mass," please 1) define the term "center of mass," and then 2) explain why that should be a primary target when the need arises to stop a threat.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I always thought the "x" in the middle of the torso below was what the firearms instructors were telling me to shoot at when they said "center mass." I guess I never got caught up in whether it was actually the center of the body, or if it was the quickest way to stop a threat. I just thought the idea was that shooting skills diminish under high stress with a moving target and aiming for the biggest part of what you could see was the most effective way to get hits and not shoot bystanders. I'm not a firearms trainer or expert though, and many of my targets looked like shotgun patterns. :n00b:

attachment.php

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I always thought the "x" in the middle of the torso below was what the firearms instructors were telling me to shoot at when they said "center mass." I guess I never got caught up in whether it was actually the center of the body, or if it was the quickest way to stop a threat. I just thought the idea was that shooting skills diminish under high stress with a moving target and aiming for the biggest part of what you could see was the most effective way to get hits and not shoot bystanders. I'm not a firearms trainer or expert though, and many of my targets looked like shotgun patterns. :n00b:

attachment.php

Right between the upper '8' and '9'.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is what it looks like when I don't get all worked-up over "center of mass."

Okay, I can't take it ...

For those who insist on saying "center of mass," please 1) define the term "center of mass," and then 2) explain why that should be a primary target when the need arises to stop a threat.
    1) Mid-chest. 2) It's a big area, full of vital stuff, surrounded by perpetrator; if you get close to what you were aiming for, you'll likely still hit Bad Guy. Also, it's close to where you're already looking if you're doing the right thing and watching his hands.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ...I was wondering if there is any training that teaches you where to shoot an attacker?
    How much do you want to spend? You can't do better than Gunsite in Paulden, AZ. There's also Boone County Sheriff and Gunsite instructor Ken Campbell, who runs something of a satellite campus just up the road from you. They're not cheap, but you're asking important questions and answering them incorrectly could be financially costly and emotionally crippling.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    The last two times, I just shot the gun out of their hand. If they're running, I limit myself to 100 yards to avoid collateral damage.

I hadn't thought of that but good idea.............you never want to shoot them in their "collateral"! Or do 100 yard+ shots put too much strain on your collateral?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1) Mid-chest.

That's a good primary aiming point, as long as you're talking about the upper chest, midline of body. Middle of the chest is still a little low.

It's also not a definition of "center of mass." I'm not picking on you ... I'm just on rant because people use the term "center of mass" and 1) have no idea what it really means and 2) have no idea where it's actually located on a human body. I wish people would stop using terms they both do not understand and also do not represent what they're trying to say.

2) It's a big area, full of vital stuff, surrounded by perpetrator; if you get close to what you were aiming for, you'll likely still hit Bad Guy. Also, it's close to where you're already looking if you're doing the right thing and watching his hands.

That's good in my book!

Thanks for answering!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Rhino, I think the idea for "center of mass" for the body generally means the torso, as opposed to the limbs/head. I believe the idea is that the limbs/head have less mass than the torso. What I think may be the confusing point is "center of gravity" which is lower on the torso than you ideally want to aim at, i.e. the abdomen.

Shots placed anywhere between just below the neck and just below the nipples should be ideal for ending a threat.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    That's a good primary aiming point, as long as you're talking about the upper chest, midline of body. Middle of the chest is still a little low.

It's also not a definition of "center of mass." I'm not picking on you ... I'm just on rant because people use the term "center of mass" and 1) have no idea what it really means and 2) have no idea where it's actually located on a human body. I wish people would stop using terms they both do not understand and also do not represent what they're trying to say.

That's good in my book!

Thanks for answering!

I've always been told............and taught others that "center mass" is the center of what ever mass you can see. If the perp is standing behind a steel beam and only sticks out his head, shoulder and arm I am NOT going to still shoot at their "center mass" behind the beam, except for the fact of shooting for center of the mass of the largest area I can see. So to always say center of their body or area full of vital stuff to me isn't always going to be correct!

Top Bottom