• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I read that post about the armed robber at the gas station in Avon and it got me thinking since I've been there plenty of times. If you were in the gas station(carrying a handgun) browsing in the back and one robber armed with a pistol entered and demanded the money from the clerk what do you do? The robber has his back to you and doesn't seem to notice you. And what if there are two robbers with their backs to you? And what if your with your wife/gf?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That is a very difficult scenario to answer fully in writing, on a forum. There are SO many things that factor in to the split-second decision making that this would require.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It depends. If I'm with my wife and daughter and we're out of the line of fire, I'm going to seek cover with them and prepare to defend ourselves if the shooting starts.

If I'm alone in the back of the store, I'm going to take cover, but look for opportunities to help diffuse the situation peacefully. I'll be honest, the cash in the register is not something I'm willing to die for, and there would only be a few conditions I'd be willing to risk my life for the clerk.

Now, if I'm in line near the clerk or much closer to the gunman, I'm going to draw and eliminate the threat. The exception to this is if he has already pointed his weapon at me or my family. I won't be able to out draw him, so my best bet is for him to get distracted by other customers or move his attention to the teller. At that point I draw and nuetralize the threat.

So, overall, I'm going to try to not get into a firefight. That's my best chance of surviving. If the situation presents itself that I need to engage, I will.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow hard to say. If there were two armed thugs then this would not be very good odds. If a person had their family with them I would not want to do something to draw bullets their direction. Tough scenario.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There are SO MANY different scenarios that can happen.

And every time you take an action, the scenario changes again into something new.

I enjoy the mental exercise that threads like this provide, but this scenario inparticular comes up often, and I find it very difficult to nail down a pre-determined response.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    And every time you take an action, the scenario changes again into something new.

I enjoy the mental exercise that threads like this provide, but this scenario inparticular comes up often, and I find it very difficult to nail down a pre-determined response.

Very true. That's why I'm dying to take a Force On Force class! I think that is one of the best classes anyone can take. Not that I would know, since I haven't taken one yet:D

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I would feel worse about doing nothing and the clerk getting killed than shooting the perp in the back of the head. I'm not going to throw my body in front of the clerk like a secret service agent but I would like to think I would make the effort to protect him versus just saving myself. Lots of variables and split second decisions.

The reality of the situation probably doesn't match the scenario we have all thought about as gun toters.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I stop at a local gas-station every morning to get a cup of coffee on my way into work. Part of my routine is to mentally approach the entire situation as if there was a potential armed robbery in process when I walk in the door.

Hard to explain, but I basically am continually looking around to see who is where, and go through in my mind what I'm going to do if one of them really does decide to hold up the place. So, I get the chance to mentally rehearse about what I'd do if for instance, I'm filling my coffee cup and the clerk gets held up. I'm ducking behind the island that has the creamer and sugar and getting out of the line of sight. If I'm in line, I'm preparing for the situations that I would, would not draw based on where I'm at in line. Back of the line, I have a good angle and a good chance of being able to draw and gain the advantage. Front of the line, and I'm most likely going to be in the line of fire, or a potential hostage.

Here's the rub, I can't have a gun at work (like many of the rest of you based on company policy), so am not armed when I enter the gas station. If something does break out, you'd better bet I'm going to try my best to not get into a fight. My knife isn't going to be a good tool for me in most situations...just like the old saying goes.

So, long post, but that daily mental excersize has helped me formulate my earlier response. Most of the scenarios involve me staying out of the fight as long as possible.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    grab the slimjims and head out with him

seriously if all he wants is the money let him take it. its replaceable. its life i wont let them take

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I read that post about the armed robber at the gas station in Avon and it got me thinking since I've been there plenty of times. If you were in the gas station(carrying a handgun) browsing in the back and one robber armed with a pistol entered and demanded the money from the clerk what do you do? The robber has his back to you and doesn't seem to notice you. And what if there are two robbers with their backs to you? And what if your with your wife/gf?

1-2 robbers: I'm going to hide my family and cover the avenues of approach with my drawn handgun.

1 robber: I'm going to do the same as above, unless he shoots the clerk. At that point, if I'm not scared out of my wits, I will attempt to engage the robber, if I can be sure my point of aim doesn't endanger other customers.

2 robbers: I will remain hidden until they leave. If they do shoot the clerk, two against one is not the best odds, so I may choose to remain in place.

In all instances, I hope to be able to remember pertinent information to describe him/them to the police when they enter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Browsing in the back? Be a good witness. I'll be the first to admin: I'm no hero.

Up front, where SHTF? Lord, I need more training (maybe with Lovemachine). Let the perp focus on the cash while I back away (and draw). I'd still prefer to be a good witness.

My wife hasn't set foot in a convenience store since we have been married. Soda and snacks is my job!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is this a trick question, with a "gotcha" outcome? Is one of them an undercover cop working his way up through the criminal organization? Are they both cops running some kind of bizarre training scenario? Did I fail to see the other 3 guys with their AK-47s flanking me? Did I miss the guy across the street holding the clerk's 5-year-old son hostage, and now you'll say I'm responsible for the kid's death? Are they wearing bomb vests under their coats with dead-man switches?

If I shoot them both in the back, how are you going to say "gotcha?"

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I'll take "shoot them in the back of their head" for a thousand Alex.
    I've got a question, can you be charged with anything for shooting someone in the back of the head during an armed robbery, spraying the person their robbing with AID infected blood and brain goo, and they get it...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's why I'm dying to take a Force On Force class! I think that is one of the best classes anyone can take.

I heard that this scenario (or one very similar) was played out during one of Mindset Labs' FoF classes. Perhaps Lars can chime in, as I believe he was in the class.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I stop at a local gas-station every morning to get a cup of coffee on my way into work. Part of my routine is to mentally approach the entire situation as if there was a potential armed robbery in process when I walk in the door.

I know which local store you stop at in the morning. ;) Let me say thank you for preparing yourself and watching out for the employees. Somebody needs to look out for those gals, they are basically obilivious to what is going on around them. And interestingly enough they often open and close the store by themselves. Just so happens that I made a comment to their management about three weeks ago that I didn't think that was a good idea. The answer to this was that the store gives free coffee to the local PD to encourage them to come inside. Maybe what the store really needs is few more armed customers. The store manager would probably have a stroke if he knew people had guns in his store. But I am pretty sure his boss would not give it much thought.

Top Bottom