• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I never knew what I'd *really* do until yesterday.

Turns out, the answer is GTFO of Dodge.

I took my daughter with me to run some errands including cashing my check.
    We got to the bank and I sort of parked slowly so she could finish up telling me a story she was wrapped up in about school that day. All the while parking, I noticed a guy sort of "loitering" (if you could call it that) near his own vehicle. Not really coming or going, just sort of standing there shuffling back and forth along the side of his vehicle.

We got out and made our way in and he followed us in as we entered the foyer.
    I went up to the counter, cashed my check, and the teller made small talk with me about the weather and chatted up my daughter about band (her son is in the band, too).

I assumed the man changed his mind about entering the bank because he never did show up inside and we were in there for a good 15 minutes, at least.
    When we went around the corner to exit through the foyer, there he was - standing there with his right hand shoved in the pocket of his leather coat and his left hand sort of hugging himself...
    It startled me to see him still standing there and when I made eye contact, he looked away and then ducked inside as my daughter opened the outer door.

She and I looked at each other and she said, "Well THAT wasn't weird at all! Did he give you the creeps or what?!"
    I said, "Yes! He sure did"
    She asked me if I thought the place was going to get robbed and I said, "If it is, this is NOT where we want to be because if they push their silent button, we'll see all hell break loose in a heartbeat".

I decided to pull out of the lot and head toward my next destination, while digging out my cell phone and calling the bank...just to check on the girls there.

When the teller answered, I said I had just been in there with my daughter and we both had a funny feeling about the man that came in after us and I was just calling to check if they were OK.
    She said, "Yes, we're all fine...he's a customer of ours and when he came in, he wondered if you and your daughter thought he might be up to something because of standing there so long with his hand in his pocket...but we know him and it's all fine. But THANK you for calling to check! It's nice to know somebody would do that!"

OK, so maybe my imagination was working overtime because my spidey senses kicked into high gear when my kid picked up on the same stuff I did. I don't know...all I know is that in a SHTF situation, my butt is OUT THE DOOR. Pronto. My family comes first.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I play out this scenario quite a bit. It always seems when I'm paying for fuel, misc., 50 cent always seems to appear behind me. Sketchy, jumpy, nervous, thug type fellas. If I'm to or from work, (the only time I ever stop at such a place) I CC OWB in a Fobus (not much retention). I try to side step to get my pistol out of reach of shady individual. CC, but a G22 prints like a brick. 100 different incidents could yield 100 different outcomes. Awareness and weapon security are my main points of focus.

If I was browsing in the rear of the store and it was being held up..... I really can't say what I would do. I'd like to think I could save the day, but I would probably just poop my pants. I do physical, mechanical, and live fire training, but what can one do to prepare themselves mentally for such a situation????? I'm starting to think "some people have it and some people don't".

I am pretty familiar with the laws (thank you INGO), I am 100% confident in my weapon and gear, I'd like to think my skills are at least above average. Mentally I'd be a wreck. If things progressed in such a situation like they normally do; fast and furious, I think I would be fine. If I was in the back of the store and had time to "think" about it.... I may just pocket some TP before the cops get there.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    grab_n_stab_by_deviated_septum-d30pr6f.png

This is me re-enacting the robbery I recently prevented.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I was in a situation such as the OP described. It was closing time in a Baskins & Robbins. My family was the last family in the place. Just my wife, my child, me, and one young female clerk. I saw him walk past the window, stare intently into the shop, and walk on. About 5 minutes later he entered, did his thing, and left.

I kept my mouth shut and vowed to not interfere unless it turned ugly. And then I got a little stupid. When he left, I left behind him and moved at a right angle to him in parking lot so I could see his direction of travel. I saw the make, model, and color of car he got into, made a mental note, and went back in to hold the shaken clerk together until LEOs arrived.

An hour or so later, LEO rang my doorbell and asked me to go for a ride along to ID the car and suspect. Long story short, he did a stretch and I didn't have to testify because he took a plea bargain.

This incident was one of three in my lifetime that convinced me to get a LTCH. That said, if I found myself in that situation again while carrying, I would play it exactly the same. I'm not a junior LEO protecting Baskin & Robbins profits or its employees. My only task is to get me and my family home safely. I would use a carry gun only if my hand was forced in order to protect my family.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Suppose there is another gunman you didn't see either just outside or elsewhere in the store? What if the cashier is actually in on it and IS the other gunman? Best bet here is to find cover, get the BEST description you can and be ready to let loose if it presents itself as the only option left.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Here's the rub, I can't have a gun at work (like many of the rest of you based on company policy), so am not armed when I enter the gas station. If something does break out, you'd better bet I'm going to try my best to not get into a fight. My knife isn't going to be a good tool for me in most situations...just like the old saying goes.

As of July 1st you can bring your gun to work and leave it locked in your car. Unless you work at a school

House Bill 1065

[SIZE=+1]ARCHIVE (2010)[/SIZE]
    Latest Information

DIGEST OF HB 1065 (Updated March 4, 2010 9:28 pm - DI 69)​

Various provisions concerning firearms. Prohibits a person, including an individual, a corporation, and a governmental entity, from adopting or enforcing a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from legally possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of sight in the employee's locked vehicle while the vehicle is in or on the person's property, unless the firearm or ammunition requires a certain federal license to possess. Exempts possession of a firearm or ammunition: (1) on school property, on property used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus; (2) on certain child care and shelter facility property; (3) on penal facility property; (4) in violation of federal law; (5) on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution; (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter; (7) at a person's residence; (8) on the property of a person that is subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards and licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission; (9) on property owned by a public utility that generates and transmits electric power or a department of public utilities; and (10) in an employee's personal vehicle if the employee is a direct support professional who uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities. Provides that a court does not have jurisdiction over an action that: (1) is brought against an employer who is in compliance with the prohibition against adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits the possession of a firearm in a locked vehicle; and (2) is brought to recover for any injury or damage resulting from the employer's compliance. Authorizes a person harmed by a violation to bring a civil action for damages, costs, attorney's fees, and injunctive relief to remedy a violation. Prohibits the state, a political subdivision, or any other person from prohibiting or restricting the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during a declared disaster emergency, energy emergency, or local disaster emergency, subject to exceptions that apply to the prohibition against adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits the possession of a firearm in a locked vehicle. Repeals provisions that allow certain political subdivisions to adopt emergency ordinances to regulate firearms if a local disaster emergency has been declared. Deletes an outdated reference.Current Status:

Law EnactedLatest Printing (PDF)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I read that post about the armed robber at the gas station in Avon and it got me thinking since I've been there plenty of times. If you were in the gas station(carrying a handgun) browsing in the back and one robber armed with a pistol entered and demanded the money from the clerk what do you do? The robber has his back to you and doesn't seem to notice you. And what if there are two robbers with their backs to you? And what if your with your wife/gf?

An armed robber or two? Well thats easy. In a situation like that, I would be in fear for my life, and the lives of those around me. I'd pull out my nine and bust a cap. Well, actually, its a .45, and it holds 9 rounds... unless it's a .380, then it only holds 7... so, yeah. Guy comes in, gun in hand, game over, no questions asked. Two or more, same story.

I rarely enter a gas station with my wife, and never with my kids. If I am out with one, I am out with all, and somebody covers the car and kids while the other goes inside to pay. I don't buy anything but gas at gas stations. In the unlikely event it's just me and the kids, I'm not stopping anywhere but my destination. Thats just the way we operate.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    First, I would be to try to be a good witness, anything more then that depends on the actions of the robber/s.
    Be a good witness. If you are in fear for your life, then take action. Remember, you carry as a means of personal protection. The money in the cash drawer isn't worth any heroics.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Be a good witness. If you are in fear for your life, then take action. Remember, you carry as a means of personal protection. The money in the cash drawer isn't worth any heroics.

Only problem with that is that some armed robbers don't like leaving eye-witnesses.

I think it's silly to hesitate & roll the dice on the chance that the armed robbers wouldn't hurt you & your family, especially when the stakes are literally life & death.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    My only task is to get me and my family home safely. I would use a carry gun only if my hand was forced in order to protect my family.

:yesway: It isn't worth the possible jail time for me trying to be a hero if me or my family is not in direct danger!

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Only problem with that is that some armed robbers don't like leaving eye-witnesses.

I think it's silly to hesitate & roll the dice on the chance that the armed robbers wouldn't hurt you & your family, especially when the stakes are literally life & death.
    These kinds of threads are mostly a lot of "what if" opinions by people who have never been in the situation, and never will be. Most armed robberies are just that - robberies. BG wants to get in and get out. As soon as anyone starts shooting, it gets ugly. If you've got the drop on the guy and decide to go for it, make sure his accomplice is standing behind you. How many rounds will the BG get off before going down? Keep in mind also, that you have taken the responsibility of altering the situation.

I have personal knowledge of both scenarios and the results. I stand behind my previous post.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As of July 1st you can bring your gun to work and leave it locked in your car. Unless you work at a school

House Bill 1065

[SIZE=+1]ARCHIVE (2010)[/SIZE]
    Latest Information

DIGEST OF HB 1065 (Updated March 4, 2010 9:28 pm - DI 69)​

Various provisions concerning firearms. Prohibits a person, including an individual, a corporation, and a governmental entity, from adopting or enforcing a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from legally possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of sight in the employee's locked vehicle while the vehicle is in or on the person's property, unless the firearm or ammunition requires a certain federal license to possess. Exempts possession of a firearm or ammunition: (1) on school property, on property used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus; (2) on certain child care and shelter facility property; (3) on penal facility property; (4) in violation of federal law; (5) on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution; (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter; (7) at a person's residence; (8) on the property of a person that is subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards and licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission; (9) on property owned by a public utility that generates and transmits electric power or a department of public utilities; and (10) in an employee's personal vehicle if the employee is a direct support professional who uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities. Provides that a court does not have jurisdiction over an action that: (1) is brought against an employer who is in compliance with the prohibition against adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits the possession of a firearm in a locked vehicle; and (2) is brought to recover for any injury or damage resulting from the employer's compliance. Authorizes a person harmed by a violation to bring a civil action for damages, costs, attorney's fees, and injunctive relief to remedy a violation. Prohibits the state, a political subdivision, or any other person from prohibiting or restricting the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during a declared disaster emergency, energy emergency, or local disaster emergency, subject to exceptions that apply to the prohibition against adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits the possession of a firearm in a locked vehicle. Repeals provisions that allow certain political subdivisions to adopt emergency ordinances to regulate firearms if a local disaster emergency has been declared. Deletes an outdated reference.Current Status:

Law EnactedLatest Printing (PDF)

Thanks for the info. I'm well aware of the new law. Unfortunately my employer doesn't agree with it, and requires all firearms to be unloaded, with a trigger lock, in a locked box secured to the vehicles frame, with ammunition stored separately.

So, for the time being I continue to go to work "un-armed" if you get my drift. ;)

Top Bottom