• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cam-monkey, your new PTZ cam sounds interesting... I've been wanting to get one and play with auto track auto zoom.

We run Blue Iris and started with all analog with an Axis 4 port to ethernet box years ago.

We're all IP cams now. How well/easy does the Ring door bell integrate into your setup? I thought Ring was a 'closed system'?

B&G.

:ingo:

in short, it doesn’t. It is a closed system. However the highest end Rings can integrate with home automation, alarms, and smart locks. It doesn’t share video, but while in the ring app you can manipulate some other systems.

Are wifi cams not hackable.

they are. But you only have to worry about state actors or close (in range) neighbors. I can figure out my neighbors encryption if I can gather enough packets and use special tools to make it spit out lots and lots of a certain kind of packet. But it’s not worth it generally.

The worst you have to worry about is someone with a jamming device blinding your WiFi so the cameras stop communicating w the NVR.equivalent to somebody in a car with a strong sound system parking next to you with it turned all the way up so you can’t hold a phone conversation because there is too much noise. But that still isn’t likely.

But since you really need power to the device, why not also run network with it? Yes, rechargeable cams but that’s a PITA.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and my cams are just fixed turrets. Cover what you want to see at all times. Murphy’s law is that something is most likely to happen where the cam isn’t pointed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    in short, it doesn’t. It is a closed system. However the highest end Rings can integrate with home automation, alarms, and smart locks. It doesn’t share video, but while in the ring app you can manipulate some other systems.

they are. But you only have to worry about state actors or close (in range) neighbors. I can figure out my neighbors encryption if I can gather enough packets and use special tools to make it spit out lots and lots of a certain kind of packet. But it’s not worth it generally.

The worst you have to worry about is someone with a jamming device blinding your WiFi so the cameras stop communicating w the NVR.equivalent to somebody in a car with a strong sound system parking next to you with it turned all the way up so you can’t hold a phone conversation because there is too much noise. But that still isn’t likely.

But since you really need power to the device, why not also run network with it? Yes, rechargeable cams but that’s a PITA.

A few weeks ago I bought a relatively inexpensive wifi camera off Amazon just to play with it. I got to thinking where I might mount it and others and quickly realized I'd rather run a few Ethernet cables instead of trying to find, intercept, and install 120v circuits where I need them. (I.e. Go POE). I've also decided running the thing on a cable instead of wifi is more stable.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Skybell HD works well too. I had the Ring camera but the wifi signal didnt work to it. The skybell HD worked out better. Its has no subscription fees either.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are also bandwidth limitations with wifi. You can get 90% efficiency on ethernet. Wifi is far less efficient.

so a gig (1,000mbits) of throughput on a wired interface, as low as 30mbits on wifi. So once the cameras start adding up (especially 4+ megapixel), it gets real congested real quick.

EDIT: Repeat after me: WIFI cameras are a bad idea.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are also bandwidth limitations with wifi. You can get 90% efficiency on ethernet. Wifi is far less efficient.

so a gig (1,000mbits) of throughput on a wired interface, as low as 30mbits on wifi. So once the cameras start adding up (especially 4+ megapixel), it gets real congested real quick.

EDIT: Repeat after me: WIFI cameras are a bad idea.

Do I have to.....really.....:p

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    see the rest of the post you quoted.

plus already needing to provide power so a cable is already required... why not add Ethernet to that power cable?

Sorry, musta skipped over the foreign language part. ;)

Thank you though. After ciphering your post, it kind of explains some of my recent WIFI issues. I fear I am due to attempt to pull a very long Ethernet cable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, musta skipped over the foreign language part. ;)

Thank you though. After ciphering your post, it kind of explains some of my recent WIFI issues. I fear I am due to attempt to pull a very long Ethernet cable.

Just dont exceed 300'. That is the official maximum length of an ethernet cable.

And of course if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to assist. My brain is ripe for the picking.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just dont exceed 300'. That is the official maximum length of an ethernet cable.

And of course if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to assist. My brain is ripe for the picking.

Are you sure it hasn't fallen off the vine and rotted?

All kidding aside, is cable not a weak point?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you sure it hasn't fallen off the vine and rotted?

All kidding aside, is cable not a weak point?
    Not as weak. You need to physically touch it to interfere with it. Wireless you can stand off and affect it before you get in camera range. It is considered the strongest. If you are concerned with the cable being cut, you need a second layer of :tinfoil:.

Properly installed in a vandal proof housing, your camera and cable will remain intact.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am working on the new homestead... will be adding some cams at least on the outside.

Since it is a complete remodel and all that I guess I should start buying some cable...

Should I also run some 120 v lines to the areas I think I will be adding cameras to, or do the cams get power from the cable?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Not as weak. You need to physically touch it to interfere with it. Wireless you can stand off and affect it before you get in camera range. It is considered the strongest. If you are concerned with the cable being cut, you need a second layer of :tinfoil:.

Properly installed in a vandal proof housing, your camera and cable will remain intact.

Everything with a computer brain is able to be hacked. There is currently a way that using pulsed lasers you can hack in through a wired camera and do fun stuff like unlock the doors in a fully wired building.

I work with a lot of secure facilities, the only sure(ish) way to remain safe is to have no physical electric connection to the outside (electricity comes through a power cleaner), inside a building that is a faraday cage, with noise generators running 24/7. These buildings are often inside other buildings inside guarded compounds. For you and me at home there's pretty much no way to get to that level...unless maybe you bought one of those nuke silos for a home, but then you'd have to live somewhere miles from Minot.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I am working on the new homestead... will be adding some cams at least on the outside.

Since it is a complete remodel and all that I guess I should start buying some cable...

Should I also run some 120 v lines to the areas I think I will be adding cameras to, or do the cams get power from the cable?

The cables I have came with a power dongle. But they are BNC not Ethernet. The cameras go back to a central system which then allows me to access them via the LAN. I'd look at the system you want and see what specifically they require, running 120v to the camera locations would have actually made it harder because I'd have needed a weather proof power converter for every camera.

If I were you I'd sit down with an overhead drawing of your home and yard, see what the camera angles are and what they will cover to come up with a plan for camera placement. I have many cameras and cover all approaches to the home and doors. I have the front door covered from a couple of different angles so there are no blind spots. Good luck!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I can see that this needs to be its own thread.

Good info, thanks... I have drawings on the whiteboard for the new layout... since it changed so many times.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I always have a gun near me, either on my person or close by within easy reach when I am home. When I leave, I ALWAYS have a gun with me.
    People have become very stupid of late and I have no plans to become a victim.

My home has zero WiFi, everything is via cables. They are all tucked into the carpet or covered by a thing I got from my dad when his office closed up to keep from tripping on the cables. Yeah, they carry power but they make it a lot harder for a person to use my internet for their nefarious reasons. I suppose it is as secure as I can make it.

Top Bottom