• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Any desire for a Pit?

He's right around 1yo and he's a sweetheart, but the owner is changing apartments and can't have a big dog.

IMG_0406.png

He is beautiful, but it's going to be hard enough to get this past the wife without someone telling her that I've brought a menace to society into my home. Believe me, I know friends with Pits and they are great dogs, but I'm trying to avoid as much drama as possible.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for all the replies. This appears to be a bigger decision than I thought. Getting a dog is exactly like adding a member to the family. In this case, it's not like a child who was not asked to be a part of the family; this dog will be chosen. If I do decide to go with the puppy, what are some of the things to watch out for?

I want the puppy so my son (8 years old) and the dog can basically grow up together. This is sort of personal, but my son was diagnosed with ADHD (I HATE LABELS!), but I believe a dog can help him in many ways. I can't explain it and I can't articulate any science to back my assumption, but I just have a feeling it will help. He is a great student and a wonderful kid, but very active. Some of you have met him and he loves INGO! I think it's just being a boy, but I've been overruled by doctors, teachers, and mom. That's the bottom line, so what do you guys think?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Thanks for all the replies. This appears to be a bigger decision than I thought. Getting a dog is exactly like adding a member to the family. In this case, it's not like a child who was not asked to be a part of the family; this dog will be chosen. If I do decide to go with the puppy, what are some of the things to watch out for?

I want the puppy so my son (8 years old) and the dog can basically grow up together. This is sort of personal, but my son was diagnosed with ADHD (I HATE LABELS!), but I believe a dog can help him in many ways. I can't explain it and I can't articulate any science to back my assumption, but I just have a feeling it will help. He is a great student and a wonderful kid, but very active. Some of you have met him and he loves INGO! I think it's just being a boy, but I've been overruled by doctors, teachers, and mom. That's the bottom line, so what do you guys think?

The doctors and teachers are easy, mom not so much. I dog may be a very good outlet. I have a brother in law that supposedly has ADD ADHD Depression Disorders Anxiety Disorders, he is on enough uppers to make a sloth stay up for days and make meth look like a trip to the candy store and then downers to bring him to some sort of sleep at night. He came to our house for a week and didnt take any medication just helped with work around the farm and it did him WONDERS. The main thing you want to do is keep him occupied.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    boxers are awesome and great with kids/families. We have had a few and might get another, but they have a couple of "common" medical issues. One is skin problems, and our current boxer has this. The other is the main issue, and its a big one. Due to the popularity of the breed, and from that a lot of inbreeding, boxers are cancer magnets. Our first boxer died from a fast spreading malignant cancer. My parents are vets and told me this when we got the first one, so we were vigilant to watch out for any signs. We had multiple spots removed over the years which were just cysts, but the cancer that got him was almost completely internal. Once it got to a spot where we could feel it, it was to late. My dad said its normal for a boxer to only live for 7 or 8 years then get ate up with cancer. Our current boxer has never had any cancer issues but she does have skin problems (allergies).

anyway, on that note, I wouldn't discourage you from getting one as they truly are GREAT dogs, only encourage you to try and find a puppy or 1 year old. A 4 year old boxer is already on the down hill side of life.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    A well trained dog is a great benefit to anyone, especially "special" kids. Puppies can be tough to begin with, add a child with impulse issues - can get dicey. Do you have a lot of puppy experience or a local trainer? If not, I would suggest a dog that is 1 to 2 yrs old that has some of the basics. Involve your son in continuing the training.

I train companion dogs, so I could write about 5 pages. I won't. If you have specific questions either Before or After getting the dog - PM me. I'm always willing to help when I can.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For your boy, IMO, a puppy is the better way to go. I feel you grow with him, and get to know each other. But I just love puppies. :D

I wanted a Boxer, but I didn't want to deal with that over excited and hyper breed. I still love Boxers though :(

I grew up with German shepards, but I didn't want to deal with the shedding.

I went with the Rottweilers. Because my parents had one. Now they have 2, and a German Shepard.
    Having dealt with a rotty and GS, the Rotty is a much better dog.

And I'll never have any other type BUT a Rotty. But that's from my parents and my own experience.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For your boy, IMO, a puppy is the better way to go. I feel you grow with him, and get to know each other. But I just love puppies. :D

I wanted a Boxer, but I didn't want to deal with that over excited and hyper breed. I still love Boxers though :(

I grew up with German shepards, but I didn't want to deal with the shedding.

I went with the Rottweilers. Because my parents had one. Now they have 2, and a German Shepard.
    Having dealt with a rotty and GS, the Rotty is a much better dog.

And I'll never have any other type BUT a Rotty. But that's from my parents and my own experience.

I have always liked the look and temperament of the Boxer. Lovemywoods has a great boxer and she is a lot of fun. Another member has a Beagle (Chester) that I would take home today if he didn't want him. I know that all dogs are susceptible to certain ailments, but are there other breeds I should consider? I like a short-hair (no shedding), medium-sized dog, that I wouldn't be ashamed of walking down the street. No offense to anyone, but the Chiwawa (sp?) is not my kind of dog. :laugh:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have always liked the look and temperament of the Boxer. Lovemywoods has a great boxer and she is a lot of fun. Another member has a Beagle (Chester) that I would take home today if he didn't want him. I know that all dogs are susceptible to certain ailments, but are there other breeds I should consider? I like a short-hair (no shedding), medium-sized dog, that I wouldn't be ashamed of walking down the street. No offense to anyone, but the Chiwawa (sp?) is not my kind of dog. :laugh:

Consider a Brittany. Very affectionate, lots of personality. A little hyper, but definitely controllable. They can be strong willed, but are also easily trainable. They just like to push the envelope of what they can get away with. Mostly just mischief. They are not dog aggressive AT ALL. In fact, they can be the exact opposite and want nothing to do with other dogs.

All dogs shed. Even short hair dogs. They just shed lots and lots and lots of short hairs.

brittany_spaniel_h02.jpg

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I think you'd like the Rotty. Mine is tall, but my parents younger one is very short.

My offer still stands. I'll bring Barney to FNS if you want to meet him.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think you'd like the Rotty. Mine is tall, but my parents younger one is very short.

My offer still stands. I'll bring Barney to FNS if you want to meet him.

Bring him out. Speaking of FNS, that's another question. Can dogs go to the range and be around a lot of shooting without damaging their hearing?

Anyway, I really like Rott's, but they are huge.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Some of the Rescue Places are hard on the people that want to adopt the dog, it's okay but I think they can go a little overboard. Just saying so you will expect it. I got my dog from an animal shelter, it's a lab mix, great dog but a little crazy around other animals like squirrels, raccoons, and like that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Bring him out. Speaking of FNS, that's another question. Can dogs go to the range and be around a lot of shooting without damaging their hearing?

I really don't know. I DO know he's not crazy about the sound. It's either too loud or he's anti-gun...

Rotty's really aren't THAT huge. Not much bigger than a Boxer. Just more broad. German Shepards are taller, just skinnier.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    ADHD kid + ADHD dog = level headed pair.

After all the uppers they like to prescribe my daughter are to calm her down.

For the dog how about a Jack Russel Terrier. They are ADHD form what i have seen.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I really don't know. I DO know he's not crazy about the sound. It's either too loud or he's anti-gun...

Rotty's really aren't THAT huge. Not much bigger than a Boxer. Just more broad. German Shepards are taller, just skinnier.

So, your dog is anti-gun and afraid of the dark?! Where did you find him, again? :):

ADHD kid + ADHD dog = level headed pair.

After all the uppers they like to prescribe my daughter are to calm her down.

For the dog how about a Jack Russel Terrier. They are ADHD form what i have seen.

Terriers are fun dogs, but a little small for my taste.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

If you pay attention to a lot of hunting dogs you will notice they have floppy ears. It gives them some protection from loud noises. Coincidence? Maybe...maybe not.

Top Bottom