Impd's new glock 17 having issues already?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You'd think by Gen 5 they'd have gotten their **** together, guess not. #GlockNade
    In many ways, this new gun is a scaled up version of a G43/G42. If you are familiar with the internals of those guns you will know the differences. There can be growing pains when doing this. Again, I think this has been made a much larger deal than it really is. I'm not saying it's nothing, but new models sometimes do this. Much like 1st year car models. Many say never buy the 1st year of a body change...guess what, LE always does. ISP had fielded an untested Sig model that had a hiccup. Sounds like it was addressed department wide and they like it now. We will likely be the same way. For all I know, it's figured out by now. Our next chance to field these new guns will likely not be until spring now.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I don't see how anything could be a larger deal than a officer drawing his weapon when his life or another's life is in danger and it's slide comes off! Imo if this were any other gun manufacturer it would not be treated as new models can have issues. I would never trust any gun that could have a slide come off that easily and a manufacturer that didn't know it would or could happen.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't see how anything could be a larger deal than a officer drawing his weapon when his life or another's life is in danger and it's slide comes off! Imo if this were any other gun manufacturer it would not be treated as new models can have issues. I would never trust any gun that could have a slide come off that easily and a manufacturer that didn't know it would or could happen.
    Indeed, I understand THAT is a big deal. I'm saying that it could easily be as simple as the wrong spring rate for the coil spring under the slide stop (its not like the old leaf springs). Not saying this it what the problem is, I have no idea. Rather, that this seemingly large issue could have a rather easy fix. And only a few had this issue.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If the Internet had been around in say 1911 I'm sure the Colt Peacemaker guys would've been piling on this new fangled thing with no cylinder. Respectfully of course since Mr. Browning developed the lever-action Winchester.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the Internet had been around in say 1911 I'm sure the Colt Peacemaker guys would've been piling on this new fangled thing with no cylinder. Respectfully of course since Mr. Browning developed the lever-action Winchester.

Well, since Browning designed the 1911 I am uncertain that analogy applies. As well, John Browning actually shot his guns ensuring they would function.

Because, you know, his name was . . . . JOHN MOSES BROWNING!:D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Standard Business for some, build up brand loyalty by producing great product, once established start using less expensive components, or at least this is what I was taught in my Marketing Class.

It's called reputation mining. Like real mining, there's only so much there before you're out, but it can be quite profitable in the short term.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't see how anything could be a larger deal than a officer drawing his weapon when his life or another's life is in danger and it's slide comes off!

Provided the officer in question had loaded his pistol before coming to work, it would not have happened. I know of at least one pistol which went out the door, was fired 250-300 rounds without issue and was discovered to have this issue when brought back out to be turned in.

As Denny has mentioned, this has been blown way out of proportion. My opinion is that it is the coil spring under the slide lock but I'm not an engineer. It's anyone's guess if Glock provides the info on what the issue turns out to be but my contacts at Glock were of the same opinion I have on the issue.

Last edited:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Okay, resurrecting this thread. Did the issue ever get resolved with the Glock 17's or did the department decide to stay with the 22's.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Okay, resurrecting this thread. Did the issue ever get resolved with the Glock 17's or did the department decide to stay with the 22's.

I'm almost positive that they made the switch. I'm not super clear on if they switched to the Gen 4 or the Gen 4.5/5 guns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Kyle Lamb has a great article in Guns & Ammo this month. He made some critical comments about the Glock a few months ago and has been just savaged by the fanboys ever since. So he decides to insult everyone. He compares the Glock Fanboys with the way the 1911 fans reacted last generation to the Glock.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The issues appear to be resolved and the switch is occurring as officers go to fall in-service. Some have been issued already, and by the end of the year everyone should be issued the 17M.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Kyle Lamb has a great article in Guns & Ammo this month. He made some critical comments about the Glock a few months ago and has been just savaged by the fanboys ever since. So he decides to insult everyone. He compares the Glock Fanboys with the way the 1911 fans reacted last generation to the Glock.

I read that. I thought about starting a thread about it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So far they are running like tops. These are NEW guns, the ones we had last year are gone forever. LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Ameriglow sights that come with them. Shoots very nice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So far they are running like tops. These are NEW guns, the ones we had last year are gone forever. LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Ameriglow sights that come with them. Shoots very nice.

Are you sure those are Ameriglos and not Trijicon HDs? I haven't gotten mine yet, but I shot one and they sure looked like Trijicons to me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are you sure those are Ameriglos and not Trijicon HDs? I haven't gotten mine yet, but I shot one and they sure looked like Trijicons to me.

They do look a lot like the Trijicon HD sights but they are in fact manufactured by Ameriglo. The specifications for these were developed by Glock/FBI while coming up with the design/specs for the 17M.

Top Bottom