IN considering ban on hand-held phones while driving.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Pull them over for crossing the double yellow, braking unexpectedly, following too closely, pulling out in front of oncoming traffic, no turn signals, etc. These are what I would stop for a DUI as well. I won't pull a DUI over without a ticketable offense, I've seen officers brutalized in court by defense attorneys for stopping their client without a law broken. Sure, you THINK they were drunk but what law did they BREAK? Why any different for any other distracted driving? I NEED driving behavior for a DUI to stick. In reality, those dangerous drivers who are texting are breaking existing laws. If they have not broken one law while texting, I'm not concerned about them. Some people ARE able to manage. We do. We are not alone in that ability. Driving while tired is more dangerous than both, WHERE'S THE LAW?????? Facts and Stats : Drowsy Driving ? Stay Alert, Arrive Alive

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    It's because the law has no teeth.

$1500 fine and 90 day loss of license + points for distracted driving is a start.
    $100 bounty for anyone providing case winning video of offenders.

That'd stop 90% of distracted driving tomorrow.

Heck, I'll be set up as a rolling bounty hunter and you can bet I won't be alone.
    I see a crash and burn of two vehicles - two distracted drivers, one on cell and the other videoing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pull them over for crossing the double yellow, braking unexpectedly, following too closely, pulling out in front of oncoming traffic, no turn signals, etc. These are what I would stop for a DUI as well. I won't pull a DUI over without a ticketable offense, I've seen officers brutalized in court by defense attorneys for stopping their client without a law broken. Sure, you THINK they were drunk but what law did they BREAK? Why any different for any other distracted driving? I NEED driving behavior for a DUI to stick. In reality, those dangerous drivers who are texting are breaking existing laws. If they have not broken one law while texting, I'm not concerned about them. Some people ARE able to manage. We do. We are not alone in that ability. Driving while tired is more dangerous than both, WHERE'S THE LAW?????? Facts and Stats : Drowsy Driving ? Stay Alert, Arrive Alive

If people were smart enough not to screw up while driving none of this would even be spoken of.
    I see more idiots every day wondering all over the road/running up on others/cutting others off/pulling out in front of others......because they are on the damn phone. Either texting/talking or surfing. Eyes down and un-aware others are close.
    Again, if we all used our brain beyond the singular function of a door stop a lot more people would be alive right now.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I see a crash and burn of two vehicles - two distracted drivers, one on cell and the other videoing.
    Oh hell, I was first on the scene of a distracted driver fatality a couple of years ago. Early morning, still dark out. Vehicle hit the rear of a semi what was stopped at red light. The car hit the rear "bumper" of the trailer. Bad part was the "bumper" height was the exact same height of the driver's head. Car submarined under the trailer and the driver's head hit the corner of the "bumper" popping it like a pimple. Nothing like walking up and seeing a driver sitting in the driver seat and only a few bottom teeth attached to the neck/lower jaw. The rest was gone. How do I know he was distracted? In his left hand, now down at his side, he was still firmly gripping the rear view mirror. The death was instantaneous, likely adjusting the rear view mirror, looking into it, not realizing there was a semi stopped ahead of him at a red light. Laws could not have prevented this crash. EDUCATION is key, not laws.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh hell, I was first on the scene of a distracted driver fatality a couple of years ago. Early morning, still dark out. Vehicle hit the rear of a semi what was stopped at red light. The car hit the rear "bumper" of the trailer. Bad part was the "bumper" height was the exact same height of the driver's head. Car submarined under the trailer and the driver's head hit the corner of the "bumper" popping it like a pimple. Nothing like walking up and seeing a driver sitting in the driver seat and only a few bottom teeth attached to the neck/lower jaw. The rest was gone. How do I know he was distracted? In his left hand, now down at his side, he was still firmly gripping the rear view mirror. The death was instantaneous, likely adjusting the rear view mirror, looking into it, not realizing there was a semi stopped ahead of him at a red light. Laws could not have prevented this crash. EDUCATION is key, not laws.

As our vehicles become smarter and so much easier to drive there is time for distractions. Hell, some of them talk to us, warn of close encounters and park themselves.
    Remembering the days of manual steering/2 speed on the tree and manual brakes. I never crashed any of those cars. Took full attention to drive them.
    I enjoy driving a full size van and 4WD truck with 2 finger and 1 toe. It is very nice. But, I find it is easy for the mind to wonder from the task at hand.......Driving 3 tons of machinery down the road at 70 MPH.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I totally agree, laws do not prevent, only punish. If given the option, too many drivers will decide to do something distracting simply because there is now a sense of immediacy in our lives. We can't wait to know how the kids/spouses day went, or the desire to hear something else on the car stereo. It really is ALL about ME, ALL the time. Except, when we are driving we do have responsibilities and not just our RIGHTS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I totally agree, laws do not prevent, only punish. If given the option, too many drivers will decide to do something distracting simply because there is now a sense of immediacy in our lives. We can't wait to know how the kids/spouses day went, or the desire to hear something else on the car stereo. It really is ALL about ME, ALL the time. Except, when we are driving we do have responsibilities and not just our RIGHTS.

Driving is not a right. Not snarky at all just hear that "SO" often.
    It is a privilege with responsibility's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Not to worry about it. Cars are coming out that are able to drive themselves, connected cars so you can use the built in phone on the steering wheel, HUD for GPS...its all good

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I totally agree, laws do not prevent, only punish.
    Yes and no. What we see is the massive amount of educating the public that comes along with some of these new laws. The education is what changes behavior for many, for some, it is the law. Seatbelts for instance. For some, they will NEVER wear one, regardless of the law. For some, they only click-it when they see an officer, and more many, it is as natural as turning on the car. I remember wearing mine long before it became law. It became a habit and I passed that habit to my kids. The law made no difference to me and I am not alone in that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes and no. What we see is the massive amount of educating the public that comes along with some of these new laws. The education is what changes behavior for many, for some, it is the law. Seatbelts for instance. For some, they will NEVER wear one, regardless of the law. For some, they only click-it when they see an officer, and more many, it is as natural as turning on the car. I remember wearing mine long before it became law. It became a habit and I passed that habit to my kids. The law made no difference to me and I am not alone in that.

I have worn my belts since they were put in cars. I have been a racer my whole life. It is 2nd nature to buckle up. It causes no grief what so ever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's because the law has no teeth.

$1500 fine and 90 day loss of license + points for distracted driving is a start.
    $100 bounty for anyone providing case winning video of offenders.

That'd stop 90% of distracted driving tomorrow.

Heck, I'll be set up as a rolling bounty hunter and you can bet I won't be alone.

Yup........:dunno:

I'll take that vs burying my kids and grandkids, killed by a distracted driver.

Incidentally, there are lots of mobile camera systems, fixtures, etc. available. An app is even mentioned up thread IIRC. There are solutions, if we'll just take them.

... EDUCATION is key, not laws.

People already know its against the law, there is no education left to give. They just do it anyway because chances are in their favor they won't get caught. If they are caught, proving distracted driving is difficult if not impossible. Even if convicted, the fine is manageable or damn near nothing.

Distracted driving is a growing epidemic. We either deal with it or it deals with us.
    Your loved ones may be next.
    :(

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Incidentally, there are lots of mobile camera systems, fixtures, etc. available. An app is even mentioned up thread IIRC. There are solutions, if we'll just take them.

People already know its against the law, there is no education left to give. They just do it anyway because chances are in their favor they won't get caught. If they are caught, proving distracted driving is difficult if not impossible. Even if convicted, the fine is manageable or damn near nothing.

Distracted driving is a growing epidemic. We either deal with it or it deals with us.

This is the real issue.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

There is a law and it does nothing to stop many drivers, why? Because they don't realize how badly it is affecting their driving. Education can come in many forms. If they SAW how they drove, or some other method that allows them to realize how it is affecting them, they'd change their behavior.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Sounds just like the anti-gun argument. Right down to think of the children.

Top Bottom