• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I am impressed. I got my P22 used as well, and I think the manufacture date is 2009, but don't remember. I love the gun. It's so much fun. Maybe the owner before me had run it more than I knew. I may need to replace some parts then.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK, this is one 22 that I never want to go against.
    [video=youtube;7h0s_62jXuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h0s_62jXuk[/video]

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I think what's even more impressive is going through a whole 500rd brick of Rem Thunderbolt with not one issue

I once managed to go through a whole box of 50 Thunderbolts without a problem.

I was using two pairs of pliers to pull the bullets out of the cases so that I could recycle them and get them off my shelf. The pliers worked every time.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I wouldn't discount the .22LR for defense if the options are 22LR or no firearm. The fact is, a typical BG can't tell the difference between a 9mm and a .22LR by looking in the heat of the moment. ANY firearm has tremendous discouragement/deterrent value, and this is not an insignificant thing.

Then there's the fact that getting shot by anything hurts. A lot.

So the only thing a .22LR gives up compared to something more powerful is the physical incapacitation aspect. It keeps all the deterrent and pyschological stopping abilities.

And let's be real-- there are no one-shot stops with any handgun if placement isn't good. And-- conversely-- if placement is excellent, then even a .22LR is more than adequate.

To me, the only LEGIT criticism of a .22LR for personal defense is the fact that it's rimfire and perhaps reliability isn't the best. Not just the ignition, but the feeding of a rimmed case and all that. And several .22LR revolvers have been known to have ignition issues from time to time.

Still, a reputable .22LR carry revolver with quality ammo could certainly be a viable defense option, one I would strongly consider for anyone who is looking for the smallest, least recoiling etc kind of option.

But then you have to ask-- why not step to a .32? Something like a 327 fed revolver gives you much more effectiveness and reliability while still keeping recoil tolerable.

I'm going to go with what Hohn has to say because his approach, pretty much, mirrors my opinion regarding .22lr for EDC.

A few years ago, my 76 y/o mother asked which gun would be a good gun for her as she went on daily walks out in the county? The brother's and I discussed it and I suggested the Ruger LCR in .22lr or .22WMR...the revolver was simple to operate (has 'pull+point-n-shoot' capabilities), was reliable, recoil was mild...and the idea that any BG would see a gun and, hopefully, simply make a quick exit as a result. If not, 6 rounds of anything, center-mass, is going to have a negative impact at some point!

Oh, and did you hear about the lady who survived a Grizzly Bear attack, while hiking in British Columbia, with just a Jet .22?
    That bear let out a ROAR and charged and she had the presence of mind to draw her Jet .22 and turn and shoot her husband in the kneecap before running!

RBeau1954

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I now have 2 22LR SA. An SR-22 and a SW 22 compact. I do go through alot of different ammo testing it all out in both guns. I have yet to have any issues with my Ruger and it likes the M-22 ammo. The SW is picky but I just got it and haven't fired it as much. i got the SW 22 compact because it is just about the size of my shield 9mm so I figured it would be a good gun to practice with however I am not fond of the SA. I love the Ruger. I am still trying different ammo in the 9mm to see if I can find a round I am comfortable with and shoot with some kind of accuracy. I do appreciate all the comments.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I was going to read through this entire thread and got about halfway through it, and then cut to the chase scene. Did get through the Lucky Gunner video and he made many valuable points about self-defense. If a .22 LR is all you have and/or all you can use, it's better than nothing. Personally I wouldn't rely on one. The (un)reliability of .22 LR rimfire cartridges doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. For all the centerfire small arms ammunition I've burned up in 21 years of Uncle Sam preceded by hundreds of .357 magnum rounds, and followed by many hundreds in various handgun calibers and quite a few 12 gauge slug shells, I've never had a misfire attributable to a bad cartridge. Not a single one. I've got a lot more confidence in centerfire than rimfire going "bang" when a proper firing pin strikes it.

Regarding cartridge calibers, I've no problem using a .380 ACP. If it was good enough for General Patton Jr. - and numerous of his WWII contemporaries - and other US Army and USAF generals up into the early 1970's, including Patton's son, it's good enough for me. Some of the WWII US Army generals used .32 ACP. Those that turn their noses up at these smaller cartridges need to be reminded that many US law enforcement officers used .32 S&W Long (aka .32 Colt New Police) for many years from the late 1890's, up through WWII. They also used the .38 Special from its inception in 1898, albeit mostly from the 1920's into the 1980's when it was displaced by 9mm pistols. The .32 ACP was heavily used by law enforcement in Continental Europe from its inception through WWII, with some .380 ACP usage. The 9mm Parabellum wasn't used much for law enforcement in Continental Europe until after WWII.

As someone else already mentioned, getting shot with any small arms caliber will hurt, and not just a little, provided it's bigger than a Kolibri. If the goal is guaranteeing a decisive and immediate end to an encounter with a Bad Guy using one round, a handgun is the wrong weapon. A center of mass hit with #4 Buckshot from a 12 gauge shotgun within 20 feet will do it with 99.999999% certainty. I'm a proponent of the .45 ACP, having carried one in the past for about 8 years. Wouldn't have any hesitation using a .357 Magnum either but over-penetration inside a typical residence is a concern. I've personally seen how far one can go through a typical house with drywall walls (wasn't my shot, it was someone else's). Was going to mention a center of mass hit from a S&W .460 Magnum would end it with nearly equal certainty as the #4 Buckshot, but it would be much worse over penetration than the .357 Magnum if you missed.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You watch enough forensic files or whatever true crime show and you see many of the murders were done with a 22, 25, or 32.

Top Bottom