IN LTCH holder shoots and kills robber in Chicago.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I suspect you're correct, to a point: no DIRECT affect on the gangs. However, if and when more people legally carry, and with a few more perpetrator ventilations, such as this one, behavior gets modified. However, it is a slow process.

In my little corner of Morgan County, a halfway nice weekend afternoon sounds like you are just outside a shooting range. I suspect because it is well-know that most homeowners in this area are armed, we have a relatively low burglary rate.

On the other hand, maybe knowing the victims are more likely to be armed will increase the risk-taking and aggressiveness of the gang-bangers' attacks.

I just fear for the kind of difficulty the victim in this case will suffer, because, Chicago.
    Sounds like my part of Porter County. There are few nice days where you can't hear gun fire.

The biggest issue I see with the gangs is they have no respect for life, their's or anyone else's. That is the majority of their murder(shooting) problem.

Hopefully more people carrying will help with the everyday muggings, carjackings and such.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Geez and Rice....Why even put yourself and family in that area?
    Job? Money? Why would you want to live like that?
    What do you tell yourself? Odds are good I'm not going to get killed today?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

I guess you have never been in that area of the city in the last 10 years or so. It is considered a pretty safe area. There is a store that sells uniforms, and equipment for police about a block away and it is common to see police cars parked nearby. If someone was robbed at a mall in an area considered to be safe near you would you not ever go to that mall again?

The word is getting out, here is a cops take on it Second City Cop: Indiana CCL

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I guess you have never been in that area of the city in the last 10 years or so. It is considered a pretty safe area. There is a store that sells uniforms, and equipment for police about a block away and it is common to see police cars parked nearby. If someone was robbed at a mall in an area considered to be safe near you would you not ever go to that mall again?

The word is getting out, here is a cops take on it Second City Cop: Indiana CCL

Comments are great on this one.

"If they charge him, he needs to have his lawyer look up all the times when two ****heads have shot at each other, and the state declines to prosecute because they were mutual combatants. Democratic enforcement of the law. Truly the dumbest people on the planet."

Is this for real?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Comments are great on this one.

"If they charge him, he needs to have his lawyer look up all the times when two ****heads have shot at each other, and the state declines to prosecute because they were mutual combatants. Democratic enforcement of the law. Truly the dumbest people on the planet."

Is this for real?

There are so many cases in Cook County, Illinois that the threshold for prosecution is completely different than any county in Indiana.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Second City Cop has this comment in an earlier post about the incident:

This would put Concealed Carriers exactly one single shooting behind the Chicago Police Department, with a week left in the year. That should be a national headline.

Interesting.

Second City Cop: Another CCL Shooting?

Putting all the stories and SCC comments together, sounds like Hoosier was initially cuffed and held, but then released without charges.

ETA: SCC post comparing SD shootings with CPD shootings: Second City Cop: New Statistic Category

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

That area? It's University Village/Little Italy. Just a few blocks south of where I lived (Mid-Loop). It is a great place to work and live, and many do.

Only a fraction of Chicago is the "wild west". There are 7 or 8 areas that are rough. The rest of Chicago is gentrification on steroids.

The homicides are concentrated=>One-third of US homicide spike last year came from 5 Chicago neighborhoods

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That area? It's University Village/Little Italy. Just a few blocks south of where I lived (Mid-Loop).

Only a fraction of Chicago is the "wild west". There are 7 or 8 areas that are rough. The rest of Chicago is gentrification on steroids.

The homicides are concentrated=>One-third of US homicide spike last year came from 5 Chicago neighborhoods
    It is spreading some Kirk. The worst of the gang shootings are in those areas, but the rest of the city is not immune.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is spreading some Kirk. The worst of the gang shootings are in those areas, but the rest of the city is not immune.

You have the same concerns in any city. We could go on at length about bad things happening is great neighborhoods, including the murder in my own, all over Indiana.

Chicago is not the barren waste from Mad Max that the media portrays it. If Chicago would allow the good people (and there are many) to fight back against the bad people (they are few), then Chicago would not have the reputation that it does.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I enjoy Chicago's opportunities for fun, yet have avoided the beautiful city because of their politics for the last few decades...

Sound like a great job of protecting himself and (unfortunately) a test case for the next decade.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You have the same concerns in any city. We could go on at length about bad things happening is great neighborhoods, including the murder in my own, all over Indiana.

Chicago is not the barren waste from Mad Max that the media portrays it. If Chicago would allow the good people (and there are many) to fight back against the bad people (they are few), then Chicago would not have the reputation that it does.
    I didn't say or think it was. I work downtown, so I see it a lot more than I would like.

The politics there are horrible. I am surprised they are not losing more population than they are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Well, not just "allow".
    Too many of the "good" have been brainwashed their entire life that self defense is wrong.

Top Bottom