• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    How about one more "what do you think?" thread from Indy_Guy_77!!! Woo hoo! :rockwoot:

My wife & I will probably be in the market for a replacement computer here in the near future.

We'd like a laptop for space savings & portability.

This would be a replacement for an almost 10-year old Dell Dimension. A computer that, I might add, still works GREAT and is mostly adequate for our needs. But, being that old, we never know when it'll finally give up the Ghost.

Major uses for computer:
    Web surfing / email
    Light word processing / Excel work (I do have Office '07)
    Skype so the grandparents can see our baby
    Photo-processing

Of the above mentioned, photo processing in my old version of Photoshop REALLY taxes the current machine. Just not enough RAM to handle the multiple 6mb+ files that I like to process at a time. (Fine line between opening fewer files for faster performance vs. more files open, decline in performance & getting all files done)

Wants in a new machine:
    -"enough" RAM to have multiple programs + image files + several browser tabs open at once.
    -Adequate HD space (we have two external drives, 500gb and 1tb)
    -Fast enough processor / BUS to run what I'd like & to take advantage of the RAM
    -on-board keyboard MUST have a separate number pad (not a deal-breaker as USB number pads can be added easily)
    Average-sized screen (most computer use will be done with external 21" monitor hooked up)
    -on-board wireless access
    -plenty of USB ports
    -SD memory slot
    -MUST be a PC. Will NOT buy an Apple product due to cost.

All for a decent price!

We're "bargain shoppers"...looking for high quality at a decent price.

Toshiba Satellite laptops come to mind... Others?

Or should we just nix the laptop idea all together & just invest in another desktop?

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I always recommend Desktops unless absolutely necessary because of the life of them. Usually you start to have issues with laptops around the 3 year mark.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Toshiba Satellites are nice and seem to have a good reputation. My girlfriend just got one a few months back and it's still running strong. Not the sleekest looking laptops but they would definitely fit the performance aspect you're looking for.

If you don't go with a Toshiba, I'd suggest an Asus. They're a better looking Toshiba Satellite, for the most part. They seem to be a little cheaper than Toshiba's, as well. Either way, you'll find what you're looking for with either brand, as they both have a lot of options for their laptop lines.

Gateway seems to be making a comeback. I have a Gateway netbook that's about 8-9 months old that's doing great. Another option.

Look into getting one of those new Intel Core 'i' series processors too. i3, i5, or i7. I've heard good things. Any laptop with the i7 is a pretty penny though..

Oh, and stay away from HP. Nothing but problems with their laptops AND desktops, for me and my girlfriend both.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, I know better than to buy an HP!

10 years ago, HP = OK. Today's market, no way! Funny how things change like that.

I AM leery of the long-term lifespan of a laptop as well, like OBV8 mentioned. I'd probably not even have the battery in it most of the time, but the thing would still be running. I wonder if one of those "cooling pads" would increase longevity.

I've been spoiled by the Dell we have. I hate to think that I couldn't run a $5-6-7-800 dollar laptop for 10 years of moderate use. Same with a desktop.

*sigh*

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Cooling pads do help, and if I remember correctly not having the battery in it will cause problems because its used to regulate the power coming in somewhat kind of like a big capacitor.

best thing to do is just run it dead on the battery once a week or so. And definitely get a cooling pad. And also as much RAM as possible

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Photoshop is your major stumbling block. It is very much a processor/memory intensive program. Sounds like you need a new home machine and the wife needs a portable internet surfing machine. If getting just one laptop get on of the new models that features the "Sandy bridge technology" they are not really for bargin basement buyers. It will run photoshop real well.

The laptops I have setup that I got the most long term worry free use out of were Panasonic Toughbooks. They are not bargan shopper items. I set them up for field use and many were never heard from again untill 7 years later when we would bring out a new one to replace the old. I have seen one die after being run over with a fork truck, one left out on the top of a moving auto for a short while and one that got dropped a good 30 feet to the ground. Other than that I never see them back. I think in your case they would get you the ten years service.

Eagle micro computers in castleton builds my custom configurations, heck they have been around for a couple of decades in castleton IN.

You look to need a new desktop for photoshop. Then a portable internet machine for the road. Portable internet machines like the new blackberry playbook. If you have a blackberry phone then this is going to be they way to go. A apple like device without apple. SUPPORTS FLASH, 7 inch screen, hdmi out, push tech from phone, wi,fi 3g/4g and front and rear cameras for skype. It is a pocket computer instead of a laptop. 499,599,699 price.

BlackBerry - PlayBook Pre Order Tablet PC - Pre Order BlackBerry Tablet at Best Buy

or find a better way onto the internet after you get a photoshop desktop.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    If you don't go with a Toshiba, I'd suggest an Asus.

^^^This.

I would recommend Asus as well. I don't work for them or anything, but their hardware is solid, and you'll usually get more features (BIOS features on the motherboards and such, for advanced users) than you will in other places. They've won by business over and over building systems (both desktops and servers) and I really don't think you can get a better system in that price range.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    What is your budget?

Unless you know what you are doing, just look at the weekly staples and such ads and pick the one that best suits you.

For what you look to be doing don't worry about the processor that much, just get as much RAM as you can afford in the machine. Get a display size that suits you and a hard drive ~500 gigs. That should keep you good for the next few years.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    -MUST be a PC. Will NOT buy an Apple product due to cost.

-J-

Macbook pro :rockwoot:

:whistle:

As far as budget... Don't rightly know. I'm fairly certain that my dad & step mom want to "help" with the purchase. So their "help" + what we'd spend normally might push us over into the "pretty darned good laptop" category as opposed to "It'll do" category. OR perhaps we'll buy a laptop AND an inexpensive desktop. *sigh*

-J-

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    :whistle:

As far as budget... Don't rightly know. I'm fairly certain that my dad & step mom want to "help" with the purchase. So their "help" + what we'd spend normally might push us over into the "pretty darned good laptop" category as opposed to "It'll do" category. OR perhaps we'll buy a laptop AND an inexpensive desktop. *sigh*

-J-

Without a solid $$ figure can't really suggest a "good" model. The more you pay, the more you get. Also, don't get an extended warranty. Unless you are willing to live without your computer for a few weeks, it is usually cheaper/easier in the long run to have either someone you know or a business you trust to fix it for you than do warranty work.

Look at the Staples or Office Max ad and choose something that fits your price range. Post a link here so you can get an honest opinion of your choice.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    With whatever laptop you decide to go with, buy a laptop cooler and never use your laptop on your lap so to speak. Make sure there is always plenty of airflow. I have laptops that are 8 years old and work fine because I do not allow them to get hot.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Spend less and get more...buy a desktop. Unless you just have to have the portability, the desktop is going to be the way to go. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of photo editing. Get a multi core processor and as much RAM as you can. 32 bit Windows can only see 3 GB of RAM. I hate Lenovo junk, Gateway junk, and would never buy a Toshiba because I used to service them. They are fabulous laptops until they break then good luck getting it fixed. I have had the best luck with Dell and HP computers.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Spend less and get more...buy a desktop. Unless you just have to have the portability, the desktop is going to be the way to go. Especially if you plan on doing a lot of photo editing. Get a multi core processor and as much RAM as you can. 32 bit Windows can only see 3 GB of RAM. I hate Lenovo junk, Gateway junk, and would never buy a Toshiba because I used to service them. They are fabulous laptops until they break then good luck getting it fixed. I have had the best luck with Dell and HP computers.

Please explain why lenovo is junk.

Top Bottom