• ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I think you're forgetting what's under the hood FREEBSD :rockwoot:

:n00b:

So they should by a macbook (which is mopre expensive, mostly due to the OS that's installed) just so they can install a different, free OS?

:rolleyes:

Mac is based o Unix (which is BSD), but FreeBSD has nothing to do with OSX.

Last edited:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I've been very happy with Dell laptops. I switched one time about 5 years ago and got a Sony Viao on short notice. That was a piece of crap. Went right back to Dell and been happy with it since then. I won't switch again. Dell just works!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    So they should by a macbook (which is mopre expensive, mostly due to the OS that's installed) just so they can install a different, free OS?

:rolleyes:

Mac is based o Unix (which is BSD), but FreeBSD has nothing to do with OSX.

According to the Apple Developer libaray, OS X has parts of NetBSD and FreeBSD - you must realize all of these are simply spin offs from the core BSD license ( all unixes are ).

OS X does have FreeBSD's virtual file system, network stack, components of its userspace and many others.

Reference: Mac OS X Developer Library

Chalk me down for +1 internets.

Also, you get a well-crafted product with Apple, their logic boards are not "ordinary hardware" and they have a rather great quality control on their products.

Battery life far surpasses that of any other manufacturer I can think of AND they have an excellent warranty - did I mention beautiful aesthetics... oh ya and FreeBSD! :rockwoot:

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    ORLY - can you back that up?

Resources for Newbies

Unix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what you what other than the descriptions of each OS.

Free BSD and MACOS are both based heavily from Unix, but they are completely different operating systems.

Mac can have the best quality control over...but since they're using Intel boards, it's Intel that's putting out the quality product.

Mac OS can use parts of Free BSD...but just because I can pull parts out of my sandwich, that doesn't make this pickle a sandwich.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Resources for Newbies

Unix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what you what other than the descriptions of each OS.

Free BSD and MACOS are both based heavily from Unix, but they are completely different operating systems.

Buddy.. this is a losing battle - you must realize how project spin off with other goals - this doesn't change the fact that the kernel is *nix.

So trying to say FreeBSD is different than BSD is like saying Linux is different from Slackware, or Red Hat.

Distro's are "flavors of unix", you have many difference compliance standards POSIX, System V etc but they're still UNIX!

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Riiiiight...and Windows 7 and Windows 2000 have the exact same capabilities, because they're both based off Windows NT? :rolleyes:

Yes, the kernel spun off with different goals, which yielded different operating systems.

MAC OS can bastardize the same parts from Unix as Free BSD does, but FreeBSD is it's own operating system.

Just because they are based off the same kernel does not make them the same thing. They are different operating systems with different capabilities, and MACOS simply does not provide the same level of compatibility with third party devices that Windows does. Any Mac Program you want to run, you can find a windows equivalent that will do the job just as well. Any windows program I want to run (especially new games, as they come out) I'm SOL unless I want to dual boot or port windows. Or wait months while they decide whether or not they want to make a MAC OS version.

I provide support for Windows, MACOS, and Linux, and I can tell you right now that MACOS has networking issues - they don't want to use network drives as a time machine destination unless it's actually from Apple (or you go through the pain of creating your own sparse bundle disk image); those Airports with USB ports just don't work with dozens of USB drives, or just about any third party product; permissions issues when connecting to NAS devices (Windows or Linux) because they don't seem to like it when another OS uses AFP, so you have to connect, as a guest, using AFP - I could go on?

I deal with this on a daily basis - despite the fact that Apple is only 21% of the market share, they're about 80% of the people who call me for support because it isn't working.

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Riiiiight...and Windows 7 and Windows 2000 have the exact same capabilities, because they're both based off the NT kernel and have similar underlying structure. :rolleyes:

I don't know where you're going with the windows thing - I'm not sure you understand how software distributions work, this argument is futile if you ask me.

It's cool you're an admin and all, albeit talk to me when you've actually wrote kernel code for *nix - or even read "The design of the BSD Operating system".

Then I'll listen - I don't know how this got into a pissing match over OS' BUT Apple makes a great product, people just get too butthurt over the price tag.

And like I said, just because Apple using a FREAKING CHIPSET doesn't mean INTEL is manufacturing the boards dude. Apple engineers these machines from the GROUND UP and just happen to put the INTEL chipsets in them. They have other companies simply producing the parts to spec, what's so hard to understand about this?

So you're telling me when they were using PPC chips, Motorola should have gotten all of the cred for it? I suppose you could be anti AIX unix too because IBM overcharges for their stuff too but guess what PEOPLE USE IT for a reason.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    It's cool you're an admin and all, albeit talk to me when you've actually wrote kernel code for *nix - or even read "The design of the BSD Operating system".

Then I'll listen - I don't know how this got into a pissing match over OS'

Right, I agree, a bit off topic here. I'll admit, you want *nix, you do NOT come to me. Agree to disagree, then.

Sorry everyone; let's return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Laptop...desktop...brands...

More confused than ever! Sheesh!

This is more difficult than determining which gun to buy!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Laptop...desktop...brands...

More confused than ever! Sheesh!

This is more difficult than determining which gun to buy!
    If you're going the desktop route (in addition to getting a netbook/laptop) have someone build you one and pick out the components yourself. Or do it yourself. Motherboards.com usually has some great prices and good boards with processors. Just add in the rest of the stuff and a case/power supply and you're good to go. It'll certainly last a lot longer than one of the pre-builts.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Build it myself? Surely you jest! :laugh:

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

Swapping out a hardware bit is about as involved as I get!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Build it myself? Surely you jest! :laugh:

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

Swapping out a hardware bit is about as involved as I get!
    Get someone to put it together then. I've seen shops do it for their basic labour rate. It's really not too hard. Easier than putting a semi-auto pistol back together. :D

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    After getting my macbook pro I can say that I probably won't buy a pc again. That being said since you don't want an apple product I would suggest getting the simplest desktop with more ram than average with just what you need on it. The more stuff you have on a PC it seems the slower it goes. I have always had to turn the desktop effects and special effects off on my pc to make it move atleast average speed when having multiple windows and programs open. My macbook pro operates at full speed with a bunch of programs open and all special effects on. Good luck on finding something that fits you. And yes its easier to pick a gun

Top Bottom