In wake of shootings has anyone changed what they EDC???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Nope. I have upgraded my Shield to 9+1 and switched to a hardshell appendix carry holster in the last year in a successful effort to carry it over the J-frame more, but that was not due to active shooters.

Active killer is a tactics problem, not a firepower problem. Saying "I'll do everything the same except throw twice as many bullets downrange" is a loser strategy IMO.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Started carrying an AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmore on single point chest rig with a 100 round double drum mag and 10, 30 round back up mags, a Maverick 12ga shotgun, 1 in the chamber and 7 in the tube (alternating slug 00 buck) slung across my back and 50 extra rounds, my 1911 with 1 in the tube and 8 in the magazine, 10 loaded mags and an extra 200 rounds of Hornady critical duty.

​Actually no.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Which recent shootings we talking about? Really recent? Kinda recent? Recent in geologic time scales? Does it have to be a shooting? Stabbings OK?

Shoulda just said "no", I guess.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In the wake of the recent shootings (ARs, Body armor, etc...) have any of you changed your EDC? I watched a video recently where Tim Kennedy was talking about switching to the FN57 to account for body armor. Its definitely something that would help. Im just not sure how concealable that handgun would be for me in the summer. Sometimes i bring my OH S*** bag with me. It can have a rifle and some spare mags. However its not always on me and sometimes i leave it in the truck. Is one of the options to carry a small SBR or "pistol" in a rifle caliber in a backpack? One that is easily carried and doesn't draw suspicion? Vert'x actually has some nice options, and a few of my rifles would probably fit no problem.

Being a father, its something i think about when i leave the house. Really curious what some of you have changed, if anything.

Thanks.

You could go old school and get a Tokarev in 7.62x25. It will penetrate Level III body armor.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No changes here. Typically a G23, G30 or .40 P07 on a daily basis with a spare mag when out in public or a G27 when working in the yard. If I’m heading into the city, there may be a P938 in the pocket while out walking.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    No changes to what I carry. I was already carrying a full size pistol with a reload. The best thing I can do beyond that is improve my skill with it. In regards to Tim Kennedy carrying a FN 5.7, I'd like to see how reliably they penetrate armor, especially III+. I'm betting the results won't be consistent penetration. What will matter in the end is this, can you put rounds where they need to be?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    An accurate shot to the forehead will beat body armor every time. So, I have to agree with more practice. My accuracy is not anywhere near good enough so that is why I plan on many classes coming in the future.

That's a good plan in general, but the forehead is a bit higher than optimal shot placement. It's also the hardest part of the skull to penetrate due the thickness and curvature.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I added a duty size 9mm to my edc. Was only carrying a 38 special snub. Since the snuby is so small and light I just added a duty pistol.

BLindzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2019
    Mishawaka
    My carry changes with the activity of the day. Back and forth to work jut carry my shield. If I’m out at say the mall or a movie where we have larger crowds I will take my Glock 19 or Sig 320 and an extra mag.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I watched a video recently where Tim Kennedy was talking about switching to the FN57 to account for body armor.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of carrying something with worse terminal ballistics vs the near-infinitely more common unarmored opponent so as to potentially have a better effect on the armored-but-not-too-armored bad guy. Why wear soft armor if you aren't worried about concealment? Is the FN57 going to penetrate hard armor? Well, my plates are rated for 3 hits of .30-06 armor piercing so I'm going to guess "no" to that.

Failure drills would seem a better answer to me. Head shots if possible, pelvis/thigh shots if not. Remember the head is not only a smaller target but a more mobile one. A pelvis shot isn't likely to be an instant physical stop but there are some major blood vessels there that can start the timer to bleed out pretty well and getting shot near the groin has had some pretty significant psychological stop effects. I've seen hardened thugs who'd been shot before and weren't real concerned with death be super concerned about their...groin.

If you can break a femur you can probably anchor him. Anchoring via a broken hip isn't going to happen with a handgun. Even if a handgun did manage to break the hip, that causes pain but not loss of mobility. Elderly people walk on broken hips quite frequently, yet somehow it's entered common gun mythology that a broken hip is why you target the pelvis.

And to answer the question, no, no changes. If you were to change something due to mass shootings, extra tourniquets would be the most likely to make any difference at all.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm not sure I follow the logic of carrying something with worse terminal ballistics vs the near-infinitely more common unarmored opponent so as to potentially have a better effect on the armored-but-not-too-armored bad guy. Why wear soft armor if you aren't worried about concealment? Is the FN57 going to penetrate hard armor? Well, my plates are rated for 3 hits of .30-06 armor piercing so I'm going to guess "no" to that.

Failure drills would seem a better answer to me. Head shots if possible, pelvis/thigh shots if not. Remember the head is not only a smaller target but a more mobile one. A pelvis shot isn't likely to be an instant physical stop but there are some major blood vessels there that can start the timer to bleed out pretty well and getting shot near the groin has had some pretty significant psychological stop effects. I've seen hardened thugs who'd been shot before and weren't real concerned with death be super concerned about their...groin.

If you can break a femur you can probably anchor him. Anchoring via a broken hip isn't going to happen with a handgun. Even if a handgun did manage to break the hip, that causes pain but not loss of mobility. Elderly people walk on broken hips quite frequently, yet somehow it's entered common gun mythology that a broken hip is why you target the pelvis.

And to answer the question, no, no changes. If you were to change something due to mass shootings, extra tourniquets would be the most likely to make any difference at all.

Well-reasoned thoughts from the man with experience, fortunately gained by seeing the results of it happening to (many) others.

A reasonably effective setup coupled with consistency in carrying and training is more important than trying to find the optimal setup for today. Preparedness is being reasonably equipped for what you are likely to encounter, bearing in mind that almost any event requiring an armed response is, fortunately, rare.

I bolded the one part of BBI's post, as I realize there is where I'm deficient. Tourniquets are also handy for other traumatic events besides gunshots, such as power tool accidents.

Top Bottom