In wake of shootings has anyone changed what they EDC???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Seems like you're still considering Rule #1 of gun fighting-bring a gun.

Good luck with the interview, this has been a long road for you, and you're do a break!

Indeed! Reduced gear by my standards is still probably more than most others EDC! I may stash some loaded mags in the vehicle to bolster my emotional comfort when I am carrying only one spare mag on my person.

The thing I miss the most in business attire is being able to easily carry and IBD, gauze, and a TQ as I normally do in my pockets. I just realized while typing this that I could carry a brief case. Duh.

Thank you for the good luck! It went very well and I am cautiously optimistic.

Quick prayer sent for you.

Thank you, sir!

Sending some positive Marianne W energy your way for good luck Rhino... :yesway:

And thank you as well, sir!

In the context of handgun bullet diameters, no, they don't. The body isn't a bucket of water. It's more of a hydraulic system with limited self-sealing capability wrapped in sponge. If sponge is damaged, not much leaking. If a low pressure line is ruptured, some leaking until it's sealed off or loses all it's fluid. High pressure line ruptured, lots of leaking and harder to self-seal via swelling and redirection of blood flow.

Unless you go up to a 4 bore. Or the 30mm cannon on an A10. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttt!

The only thing that has changed with my EDC recently is that I've committed to carrying more often and taking training classes.

:yesway: and :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I just realized while typing this that I could carry a brief case. Duh...

mac10.png

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I am not meaning to turn this thread into a 9MM/45 Debate but per the thread title my answer is the same. I still carry a 45, 44 or .41. I knew that I would get all the reasons why I am a dinosaur. That's okay but I feel I should explain my actions. I have never shot a human. I have not even done it on TV. I do carry for defense. My total experience with ballistic results have been growing up on the farm and the taking of game with handguns here in North America. From putting down large farm animals, coyote, rabid dogs, varmits, along with deer, turkey and wild boar and small game the large caliber handgun has been my go to tool. Sure I have used many rifles as well but this is an EDC thread. So turning to EDC I use the same handguns as I never bought into the NATO kindler and gentler cartridge idea. I know the many benefits that was sold to the masses back in the day. Many of them are valid. Most sound like excuses to me. Perhaps if the round was more American it might help. However the German invented round is anemic to me for my purposes. I never wanted something almost dead or a little dead or dead 17 times with high capacity. Never when I have wanted to kill something have I wanted to do it by increasing the hangtime to lethality by using sub caliber unless it was on game that I did not want to ruin the meat. Now I know many younger gun owners think that the 9mm is the standard. For them it may be. I never drank the Koolaid in spite of all the scientists, gel blocks, bullet manufacturers, armchair gunwriters or police blotter information. I may be wrong but I will stay with has worked for me since 1967. I know the 9mm is a muti billion dollar segment of today's gun owner and for me it has it's place in the shooting sports and BUG applications but that's all I will give to the German round. If God forbid I am to be taken out because of ballistic failure because I only had 8 rounds of 45 or 6 rounds of 44 or 41 then I plan on taking a few with me. In todays world of high capacity war zones on our streets we would have to be armed far more than anything you can carry on your belt anyway. IMHO mastering your equipment for bullet placement is far more important than high capacity misses. Taking paronoid classes about how to shoot weak handed while you are on a pay toilet at the airport before you have perfected your shot placements under stress is like staying home tomorrow cause it might rain. Find what works for you and master it...sooner than later.

They can put Steel American Equipment and big XSS holes on my stone but that fits me just fine...

Good luck to all Indiana Gun owners!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Was that bullet a LRN or FMJ?

FMJ. Don't see much LRN .45 in the wild.

I respect your knowledge and opinion. However, These forensics may be right and terminal results correct but for me as long as I can handle the larger calibers accurately I will be at peace with myself using sub calibers for the games and BUG.

Dying Breed.

There's nothing wrong with the cartridges you listed and I'm not trying to sway you from them. Just correcting the rather common misconception that bigger hole = more bleed out. I have to admit I was resistant to the notion the first time I read it in a terminal ballistics book, but eventually I had to admit my old biases weren't holding up to real world observations, what ER docs were telling me, etc. I'm fine carrying any of the common "duty" calibers, including the common duty revolver rounds, ASSUMING quality bullet construction. 9mm HST or .45 Colt silver tip, it's still about getting the bullet into something that matters and disrupting that something, and they can both do it if you do your part.

FWIW, I have a few boxes of quality carry ammunition for .45 Colt and .44 Magnum as I don't believe in having a firearm I can't press into defensive service if required. If I owned a .41 mag, I'm sure I'd be sourcing a few boxes of Silver tips as well.

The real lesson to that story, which reinforces what I said above about "9mm HST or .45 Colt silver tip, it's still about getting the bullet into something that matters and disrupting that something, and they can both do it if you do your part.":
    [FONT=&amp]‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’ ”

and also a rebuttal of:

[/FONT]
    However the German invented round is anemic to me for my purposes. I never wanted something almost dead or a little dead or dead 17 times with high capacity.

[FONT=&amp]
    There's nothing "anemic" about a proper 9mm round. We're not talking about bulk 115 gr that sheds it's jacket and starts fragmenting as first contact, but something like a 147gr HST? A heavier 9mm that retains it's mass? It'll do what needs to be done. Break bone, keep trucking through a forearm, punch through a windshield, etc. Bullet construction matters more than caliber at this stage in the game.

This conversation does remind me of two guys going back and forth at the Coroner's office during an autopsy, though. They were cutting up a fellow who'd sustained quite a bit of damage. Split sternum, severed spine, fractured skull, etc.
    Assistant: Don't get much deader than this.
    Coroner: They are all the exact same amount of dead.
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unless you go up to a 4 bore. Or the 30mm cannon on an A10. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttt!

I think you'll find I anticipated your shenanigans with the qualifier: In the context of handgun bullet diameters, no, they don't.
    :):

A severed brachial artery can't get more severed, but a missing arm results in many more damaged blood vessels....

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    FMJ. Don't see much LRN .45 in the wild.

There's nothing wrong with the cartridges you listed and I'm not trying to sway you from them. Just correcting the rather common misconception that bigger hole = more bleed out. I have to admit I was resistant to the notion the first time I read it in a terminal ballistics book, but eventually I had to admit my old biases weren't holding up to real world observations, what ER docs were telling me, etc. I'm fine carrying any of the common "duty" calibers, including the common duty revolver rounds, ASSUMING quality bullet construction. 9mm HST or .45 Colt silver tip, it's still about getting the bullet into something that matters and disrupting that something, and they can both do it if you do your part.

FWIW, I have a few boxes of quality carry ammunition for .45 Colt and .44 Magnum as I don't believe in having a firearm I can't press into defensive service if required. If I owned a .41 mag, I'm sure I'd be sourcing a few boxes of Silver tips as well.

The real lesson to that story, which reinforces what I said above about "9mm HST or .45 Colt silver tip, it's still about getting the bullet into something that matters and disrupting that something, and they can both do it if you do your part.":
    [FONT=&amp]‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’ ”

and also a rebuttal of:

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    There's nothing "anemic" about a proper 9mm round. We're not talking about bulk 115 gr that sheds it's jacket and starts fragmenting as first contact, but something like a 147gr HST? A heavier 9mm that retains it's mass? It'll do what needs to be done. Break bone, keep trucking through a forearm, punch through a windshield, etc. Bullet construction matters more than caliber at this stage in the game.

This conversation does remind me of two guys going back and forth at the Coroner's office during an autopsy, though. They were cutting up a fellow who'd sustained quite a bit of damage. Split sternum, severed spine, fractured skull, etc.
    Assistant: Don't get much deader than this.
    Coroner: They are all the exact same amount of dead.
    [/FONT]

Very well said. Thank you. I do love the .41 Mag.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Very well said. Thank you. I do love the .41 Mag.
    Jim- I wasn't implying you are a dinosaur earlier, either. I'll out and say it!
    (I'm joking, at least regarding calibers)

There's nothing wrong with the calibers you've chosen. If I can swing it, a .41 Henry and revolver combo sounds pretty nice. Been on my list for probably 5 years.

Shot placement is the key. And even if I can make more holes, or place them better (probably not, you've got more time shooting than I've on this Earth), shot placement, from a properly controlled firearm, is the key.

As I tell my friends when I have a good day during our friendly competitions- I still wouldn't volunteer stand in front of you and hold the target!

(Plus, I don't recommend everything in that article- twin 33rd backup mags seems the slightest bit over the top)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you'll find I anticipated your shenanigans with the qualifier: In the context of handgun bullet diameters, no, they don't.
    :):
    A severed brachial artery can't get more severed, but a missing arm results in many more damaged blood vessels....

Acknowledged. But you've forced me to build the first 4 bore handgun on a TC Encore frame.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Jim- I wasn't implying you are a dinosaur earlier, either. I'll out and say it!
    (I'm joking, at least regarding calibers)

There's nothing wrong with the calibers you've chosen. If I can swing it, a .41 Henry and revolver combo sounds pretty nice. Been on my list for probably 5 years.

Shot placement is the key. And even if I can make more holes, or place them better (probably not, you've got more time shooting than I've on this Earth), shot placement, from a properly controlled firearm, is the key.

As I tell my friends when I have a good day during our friendly competitions- I still wouldn't volunteer stand in front of you and hold the target!

(Plus, I don't recommend everything in that article- twin 33rd backup mags seems the slightest bit over the top)

Understand maybe see you Sat at Wildcat.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nope, no changes in gear. Perhaps some changes in outlook, though.

I do tend to be more aware of my surroundings and work to keep my head-on-a-swivel, especially in parking lots...mental note of barriers (sometimes), and put effort(s) into where I park, access points, etc., at night!

No recent changes for me. I changed up to better address the modern day terrorist threats along with long gun toting thugs a few years back.
    Always did think having a long gun around didn't cost much vs needing one and not. :twocents:

Ditto...the modern-day-thug is more of a daily concern to me than a terrorist shooting at Wally's...I have, however, switched to Federal's HST ammo when carrying a 9mm, their 124 grain stuff shoots really tight groups.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I've switched to 124gr 9mm, and will be going HST for my carry ammo as soon as I can afford to pick up enough for reliability testing, mags filled, and an extra box or two. I also sold my single stack for a double stack (two actually but only keeping the one).

All of that was spurred by the issue hitting closer to home following the more recent church shootings, along with the non-school public shootings. I first started carrying a spare mag consistently, then realized I'd rather have the same sized gun, the same number of mags, and double the capacity.

Single stack subs aren't really as slender nowadays unless you truly need the concealment. And I don't enjoy shooting the pocket micros, handy as they can be. I found the biggest gun I can carry everyday, even when I don't want to deal with the potential hassle. 25 rounds total.

Top Bottom