In wake of shootings has anyone changed what they EDC???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well-reasoned thoughts from the man with experience, fortunately gained by seeing the results of it happening to (many) others.

A reasonably effective setup coupled with consistency in carrying and training is more important than trying to find the optimal setup for today. Preparedness is being reasonably equipped for what you are likely to encounter, bearing in mind that almost any event requiring an armed response is, fortunately, rare.

I bolded the one part of BBI's post, as I realize there is where I'm deficient. Tourniquets are also handy for other traumatic events besides gunshots, such as power tool accidents.

Since I've been going on job interviews (a big one this afternoon!), I've had to dramatically limit my normal complement of carry gear for the hours I am dressed for the interview. I don't like it, but at least I have my backup gear in my vehicle. Not optimal, but better than nothing.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Since I've been going on job interviews (a big one this afternoon!), I've had to dramatically limit my normal complement of carry gear for the hours I am dressed for the interview. I don't like it, but at least I have my backup gear in my vehicle. Not optimal, but better than nothing.

Seems like you're still considering Rule #1 of gun fighting-bring a gun.

Good luck with the interview, this has been a long road for you, and you're do a break!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Having your EDC, and prepardness plans, based solely on a particular scenario seems like a bad idea.

What if the next attack is a crazy person driving a large truck ...

The-Truck-in-the-Nice-attack-754457.jpg

Or a bomb ...

_88900795_top-crop.jpg

If you planned to face a crazy dude wearing body armor and carrying a long gun you will only look for that.

You won't pay attention to the unarmed dude walking towards his truck.

Or the dude carrying a backpack at the local airport.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thats why I carry a 45 or 44.

I've seen .45 ride the skull. Haven't seen .44 magnum do it, but I have *very* few .44 magnums used in the real world. Bullet shape matters more than caliber once you hit common duty calibers as far as penetrating the skull vs riding it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I've seen .45 ride the skull. Haven't seen .44 magnum do it, but I have *very* few .44 magnums used in the real world. Bullet shape matters more than caliber once you hit common duty calibers as far as penetrating the skull vs riding it.

Let me be the first to say that if a .45 rides my skull I do not think I will "walk it off" and return unscathed to my previous misguided behavior.

Having 230 grains of lead and brass grate over the old brain housing group would tend to make me reevaluate...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...my concern is a common street thug, or tweaker. I'll stick to concerning myself with the 90% likely scenarios.

What if your street thug or tweaker listened to the dems talking of/advertising the "weapons of war," killing machines? What if the thug drags out a long gun?

Having your EDC, and prepardness plans, based solely on a particular scenario seems like a bad idea.

What if the next attack is a crazy person driving a large truck ...

The-Truck-in-the-Nice-attack-754457.jpg

Or a bomb ...

_88900795_top-crop.jpg

If you planned to face a crazy dude wearing body armor and carrying a long gun you will only look for that.

You won't pay attention to the unarmed dude walking towards his truck.

Or the dude carrying a backpack at the local airport.

You really have to be able to see things that stand out. Things out of the norm.

Couple days ago I went into the bank for a quick deposit. The geniuses at this bank closed the drive up years back and brought everything inside.

There was a white van parked sideways in front of the main entrance. Hispanic gent on the phone, in the driver's seat.

I told myself that a smart guy should just bail here. I needed the deposit in the account though, so I cautiously proceeded. One eye on the van, the other on a teller line not moving due to language barrier.

I know its hard to believe :n00b:, but I had to pipe up and get a little attention to the staff about the line not moving while there was a suspicious vehicle blocking the view out the front doors.

They got real interested, to say the least. Supervisor told the teller to lock something. The language barrier folks got pushed aside and my transaction was handled quickly as they watched over my shoulder.

As I left, a second fellow was loading boxes from the side door of the van. Strangely, that gent was abnormally chatty to me. I did bail then, squirting out through the quickest exit.

I'm sure that was nothing, but I was the only one even slightly suspicious, until I brought it to the staff's attention. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Uncle Sam insisted that I carry an M60 as my EDC for years, now since I wear shoes instead of boots not only does he not want me to, but he tells me I can't!

I am beginning to think he doesn't love me anymore...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Bigger holes leak more fluid. When I feel overgunned I drop down to the .41.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Quick prayer sent for you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Was that bullet a LRN or FMJ?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Sending some positive Marianne W energy your way for good luck Rhino... :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bigger holes leak more fluid. When I feel overgunned I drop down to the .41.

In the context of handgun bullet diameters, no, they don't. The body isn't a bucket of water. It's more of a hydraulic system with limited self-sealing capability wrapped in sponge. If sponge is damaged, not much leaking. If a low pressure line is ruptured, some leaking until it's sealed off or loses all it's fluid. High pressure line ruptured, lots of leaking and harder to self-seal via swelling and redirection of blood flow.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In the context of handgun bullet diameters, no, they don't. The body isn't a bucket of water. It's more of a hydraulic system with limited self-sealing capability wrapped in sponge. If sponge is damaged, not much leaking. If a low pressure line is ruptured, some leaking until it's sealed off or loses all it's fluid. High pressure line ruptured, lots of leaking and harder to self-seal via swelling and redirection of blood flow.

I respect your knowledge and opinion. However, These forensics may be right and terminal results correct but for me as long as I can handle the larger calibers accurately I will be at peace with myself using sub calibers for the games and BUG.

Dying Breed.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I started carrying my g17 instead of the 43 but it is mainly for the local thugs and not active shooters. We've had several robberies where there were multiple armed dudes and 7+1 didn't seem like enough.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Top Bottom