• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I would have told the manager I was there for banking business not unwanted advice from a security guard.

And I did that exact thing to another officer who told me that I couldn't carry at all into the credit union. I told him he was wrong.

In this case, the branch manager asked him to say something. I have worked security. It's what I do now, though I start at Brinks very soon. :) I understand that he was doing as he instructed. He has seen me carry countless times into this building. He is always very polite, and smiles and nods at me. Never said anything about the gun.

If the manager asked him to do it, I don't blame him for doing it. I was never asked for my LTCH, I was never asked to disarm, I was never asked to leave. The manager straightened everything out, and said that as long as I'm properly licensed, there is no issue with open carry.

The cop was just doing his job, right up until the point where he tried to tell me that concealed is better. I just quit listening at that point. I told him I didn't agree, and left it at that.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    But it's a family restaurant
    But it's a doctor's office
    But it's a bank
    But it's a children's park

Okay, and?

Make sure to tell that to the criminals, that way they know too.

ETA: Why are you cashing your check in rolled coins? You better not be taking all the silver, save some for me! I do like the brinks rolled stuff because you can just look at the edges through the plastic. But I think Brinks filters the silver out, always seem to get less in the plastic rolls? I still am very proud of myself for getting a 2008 Silver Proof Dime from a roll :D I am not, however, proud of myself for getting plastic and Canadian coins. I always feel the need to take out the plastic and Canadian coins and replace them with U.S coins, otherwise I feel like I am ripping off the bank. I have a nice pile of Canadian pennies :D

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    But it's a family restaurant
    But it's a doctor's office
    But it's a bank
    But it's a children's park

Okay, and?

Make sure to tell that to the criminals, that way they know too.

ETA: Why are you cashing your check in rolled coins? You better not be taking all the silver, save some for me! I do like the brinks rolled stuff because you can just look at the edges through the plastic. But I think Brinks filters the silver out, always seem to get less in the plastic rolls? I still am very proud of myself for getting a 2008 Silver Proof Dime from a roll :D I am not, however, proud of myself for getting plastic and Canadian coins. I always feel the need to take out the plastic and Canadian coins and replace them with U.S coins, otherwise I feel like I am ripping off the bank. I have a nice pile of Canadian pennies :D

No, no, no. I cashed my check and some rolled coins. I save up my change, and when my bucket gets full, I roll them and cash them. Don't trust the counters...

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    As a member of a credit union, you are an owner. You have more than a contractual interest in the property, you have ownership as your account is "shares" of the union.

Tell the manager he shouldn't be telling his boss what to do.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    As a member of a credit union, you are an owner. You have more than a contractual interest in the property, you have ownership as your account is "shares" of the union.

They won't be bothering me anymore. I told them that I will not cover up. She understands that, the security understands that. She never said I had to, just asked that I did. She didn't argue when I said no. She was very professional.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012

How far does that power extend as far as trespassing goes? Or carrying without a license?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Me thinks you are being a bit stubborn. Sure you have a right to carry openly--no one is arguing that point--but---in this day and age with all the shootings going on---you are hurting all of us gun owners. Consideration for others---especially when entering a bank or credit union---is certainly warrented. Just my opinon--

You are wrong, try again.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Not Indiana, but back in the day, one could carry openly w/o a license in CA. The Black Panthers did so & made some folks nervous, who complained to their legislators who in turn made it illegal to carry a loaded gun in a town/city/etc.
    Fast forward to the early 21st century. People could only carry UNloaded guns in cities in CA. Some folks did just that & made some folks nervous, who complained to their legislators, who in turn made it illegal to open carry even unloaded guns. Now one must get a CCW if they want to carry in CA.
    I'm not generally against OC, but I rarely do it. I do not want to give up whatever tactical advantage I may have.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Not Indiana, but back in the day, one could carry openly w/o a license in CA. The Black Panthers did so & made some folks nervous, who complained to their legislators who in turn made it illegal to carry a loaded gun in a town/city/etc.
    Fast forward to the early 21st century. People could only carry UNloaded guns in cities in CA. Some folks did just that & made some folks nervous, who complained to their legislators, who in turn made it illegal to open carry even unloaded guns. Now one must get a CCW if they want to carry in CA.

The inverse is also true. In Wisconsin and Illinois, just a few years ago, you couldn't carry anything. Look what happened.

Also, California isn't America. I don't care what rules a foreign entity has enacted upon its subjects. There are far more restrictions on gun owners there than not being allowed to open carry.

I'm not generally against OC, but I rarely do it. I do not want to give up whatever tactical advantage I may have.

I have a HUGE tactical advantage. I am visibly armed, which deters almost every attacker. I'm not an undercover cop or a criminal. I have nothing to hide.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    From reading the OP, the off duty officer was not demanding, but SHARING his opinion. The only way for any idea (opinion) to gain any following would be to share them with others. Because his opinion that concealed carry is superior to OC does not make him any more wrong than those that believe the opposite. There wasn't any threat if the OP didnt comply, the security guard sounded like he followed proper protocol in handling the situation, so wheres the beef?

Sounds like the entire situation played out in an amicable agreement, and despite the security guard's opinion, the OP was allowed to OC on the credit unions premises.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    From reading the OP, the off duty officer was not demanding, but SHARING his opinion. The only way for any idea (opinion) to gain any following would be to share them with others. Because his opinion that concealed carry is superior to OC does not make him any more wrong than those that believe the opposite. There wasn't any threat if the OP didnt comply, the security guard sounded like he followed proper protocol in handling the situation, so wheres the beef?

Sounds like the entire situation played out in an amicable agreement, and despite the security guard's opinion, the OP was allowed to OC on the credit unions premises.

Sharing? Sounded more like insisting to me

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

So, your implication is that you shouldn't exercise your right because if you do, someone might complain and you might lose it? If you don't exercise it, isn't that the same having already lost it? Your logic is confusing.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Should one expect to have the security guards opinion forced on themselves when they go to a Bank/CU to do business?
    I would not think the Bank execs would expect their customers to endure this.
    It is obvious from the OPs interaction the security officer really didn't know CU policy and was talking out his butt. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of bothering the CU customers.

Top Bottom