• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    To make a simple example - think about your alarm system. What do you think is the bigger deterrent? The alarm system itself or the little door/window stickers and yard signs they put in with the system?

ok, but I always wonder if somehow that gives it away. like if you were a professional burglar, why not specialize in knocking off one company's typical setup? if you got good at it then you could go around cherry picking people with XYZ signs. you get my point, maybe, that countermeasures are more effective when un-advertised

I would venture to guess the signs are a great deterrent while the alarm system itself is purely reactionary.

I am ok with reactionary. people call me that all the time. LOL

each person weighs good choices. me, I think about how bad guys will have a harder time defending against guns they dont know about then the ones they see.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    ok, but I always wonder if somehow that gives it away. like if you were a professional burglar, why not specialize in knocking off one company's typical setup? if you got good at it then you could go around cherry picking people with XYZ signs. you get my point, maybe, that countermeasures are more effective when un-advertised
    You really need to take this to the thread previously linked. Your thought process has already been discussed dozens if not hundreds of times.

If a burglar is good enough to circumvent my alarm system, they would do so regardless of whether the signs were posted. At the end of the day it's best to be pro-active and avoid than it is to be reactionary and 'surprise'.

I'd rather my alarm not go off at all than find out it went off after they busted my door open.

So you would prefer to respond to a threat than to prevent or avoid it?

Do you also prefer to put your hand on a hot stove for 10 seconds and then react by taking care of the burns or do you think it's smarter to avoid getting burnt in the first place?

If you shoot somebody - even if the shoot is justified - you're going to find yourself in civil court defending yourself and losing tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would prefer to be pro-active and avoid that. My ultimate goal is to go to my grave [naturally] having never used my firearm for defense.

each person weighs good choices. me, I think about how bad guys will have a harder time defending against guns they dont know about then the ones they see.
    Again, discussed dozens if not hundreds of times over here -> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

But burglars DON'T specialize like that.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    But burglars DON'T specialize like that.
    Some do - but they're not the ones after your $500 TV or $900 laptop. The ones that specialize to this level tend to go after much larger targets.

The average burglar, however, will hit a house without an alarm sign before they will one with it.

Put two houses that are identical side-by-side. One clearly states it has a state of the art alarm system, the other does not. As a burglar - if you had to pick one of the two to break into ... which would you choose? The one that might have an alarm [but doesn't show it] or the one that almost certainly does?

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county

thanks for the link, I took a quick look at 100+ pages and I'm not interested in that. I was interested in discussing a cu branch that I have gone into plenty of times

as for deterrent, I dont worry about crime too much any more. I used to a lot more in the past. of course you never know when lightening strikes but seems like OC, from what i have read of it here, not having done it myself, seems like OC generates a lot of unwanted contacts with strangers. I tend to like to move unnoticed like a fish in the water. dont like to stick out. In fact I dont even show my pocketknife anymore, I shove it way down in my pocket so people wont see it and get wierded out by me or ask annoying questions.

You guys like educating people, that probably has a net social positive effect on people that you do this, however, I am not a patient person, I am a little shy, and I will say thank you and leave you all to that task.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    thanks for the link, I took a quick look at 100+ pages and I'm not interested in that. I was interested in discussing a cu branch that I have gone into plenty of times
    You're welcome to discuss that - but I would stay out of OC vs CC. We already know what you have to say and have heard it hundreds of times.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    You're welcome to discuss that - but I would stay out of OC vs CC. We already know what you have to say and have heard it hundreds of times.

its great that you can read my mind, and are telling me to clam up, before I even say something. that is magical!

i didnt know this was any kind of issue before today. your provacative attitude informs me, however, that I am indeed probably in the CC camp if there is such a thing.

Its not much of a choice for me anyways, since I wouldnt carry around a full sized piece becasue they are too heavy, and I dont need one, I wear a suit or blazer to work and oftentimes a blazer when at leisure, so I guess I have a hard time imagining what it would be like to walk around with my comp piece strapped on with every fool eyeballing me. Personally, that would freak me out, I am pretty close to not concerned at all about crime deterrence anyways, and it would make my pedestrian transactions a big pain in the neck. But I realize other people may find good reasons to OC though I would not. Thankfully it is a matter of preference in our great state of Indiana, most places at least.

I am surprised however that this matter is so contentious. Thanks for a stimulating conversation.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    btw, for those who may not know, the not like the ireland road branch of tcu is in a bad neighborhood. it isnt. I would bet a cup of coffee that not a single bank has been knocked off on ireland road in the past ten years.

whereas, there are streets in so bend where bank robberies are almost literally quotidien. like LWW in so bend from dtsb to airport. but then again, I never stop anywhere on LWW in so bend between downtown and the airport, maybe if I had to visit this unpleasant environs, I would want to go about cowboy style too.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    its great that you can read my mind, and are telling me to clam up, before I even say something. that is magical!
    I said what I said based upon your prior posts in this thread, not based upon what I think you may or may not do in the future.

I just offer friendly advice - post what you want.

i didnt know this was any kind of issue before today. your provacative attitude informs me, however, that I am indeed probably in the CC camp if there is such a thing.
    I can't/won't classify you - that's up to you to decide.

Its not much of a choice for me anyways, since I wouldnt carry around a full sized piece becasue they are too heavy, and I dont need one, I wear a suit or blazer to work and oftentimes a blazer when at leisure, so I guess I have a hard time imagining what it would be like to walk around with my comp piece strapped on with every fool eyeballing me.
    I've OC'd every day for well over a year - and nobody eyeballs you. If anything nobody even notices. The ones that notice are kids and then it's always, "Is that real?" and things of the like.

As with anything - nobody gets on here and posts how they went to the bank, the store, to their sister-in-law's, then out to dinner, and home all the while OC'ing without nary a contact. What you will see is posts when contact does happen [because it's out of the ordinary, not because it happens a lot].

Personally, that would freak me out
    It would? Because a visible weapon can jump out of a holster and shoot you while that same exact firearm covered by an insignificant amount of cloth is suddenly tamed and unable to fire itself?

I am pretty close to not concerned at all about crime deterrence anyways
    Then why even carry? Am I to understand your mindset to be, "I don't care to prevent crimes affecting myself and would rather deal with the consequences of said crime occuring."?

and it would make my pedestrian transactions a big pain in the neck.
    It really doesn't - and I think you would be surprised. That said - I don't care if you CC every day for the rest of your life, do what works for you.

But I realize other people may find good reasons to OC though I would not. Thankfully it is a matter of preference in our great state of Indiana, most places at least.
    It's 100% up to the carrier. There are no places where it's legal to CC but not OC or vise versa in Indiana.

I am surprised however that this matter is so contentious. Thanks for a stimulating conversation.
    You saw the 100+ page thread and you're surprised this discussion is contentious?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    btw, for those who may not know, the not like the ireland road branch of tcu is in a bad neighborhood. it isnt. I would bet a cup of coffee that not a single bank has been knocked off on ireland road in the past ten years.

whereas, there are streets in so bend where bank robberies are almost literally quotidien. like LWW in so bend from dtsb to airport. but then again, I never stop anywhere on LWW in so bend between downtown and the airport, maybe if I had to visit this unpleasant environs, I would want to go about cowboy style too.

I like my coffeee black.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/64936-tcu_robbery_south_bend_in.html

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/ND_Federal_Credit_Union_robbery_suspect_sought_162116405.html

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-07-12/news/32652542_1_robbery-wednesday-afternoon-credit-union-robbery-cases

Just a 2 minute search turned up 3 . One at your TCU. One next door at the Norte Dame Credit Union and one at the Check-N-Go across the street.

There's more, too. I know that the ND one has been hit at least twice in the last couple of years, the check cashing place at least twice, the Speedway across the street...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LSB ya got me on that holdup thing. LOL. wtf. you guys keep it up with the OC then, scare the bejeezus out them would be felons.

Generally, criminals do not check each group of victims out. Theynwalk into a store, maybe look a little, thats it.

Most people are JFCers. (Just f'n carry).
    They don't care how others carry.
    Some will argue all day.
    And on that sticky..... all you need to read is probably in the first few pages.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    The neighborhood is not a bad neighborhood but is a great one for a quick get away. The TCU was the victim of an armed take over a couple years ago and that is why cops are there. The First Source next door has been robbed several times as has the Notre Dame Credit Union across the street. The check cashing place has also been robbed countless times.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The biggest issue I have with this statement is conditionally carrying. "This is a bad neighborhood, I wish I had my gun." or "This is a great neighborhood... I shouldn't need a gun." Crime can happen anywhere at any time. You are either prepared and aware, or you aren't.
    I like my coffeee black.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/64936-tcu_robbery_south_bend_in.html

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/ND_Federal_Credit_Union_robbery_suspect_sought_162116405.html

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-07-12/news/32652542_1_robbery-wednesday-afternoon-credit-union-robbery-cases

Just a 2 minute search turned up 3 . One at your TCU. One next door at the Norte Dame Credit Union and one at the Check-N-Go across the street.

There's more, too. I know that the ND one has been hit at least twice in the last couple of years, the check cashing place at least twice, the Speedway across the street...
    Strange how that works, isn't it?

LSB ya got me on that holdup thing. LOL. wtf. you guys keep it up with the OC then, scare the bejeezus out them would be felons.
    I can only hope that if somebody goes to rob the bank while I'm there that they see my firearm and simply don't do it [i.e. pick another bank]. Chances are they would just wait for me to leave and then rob it anyways - but this is all assuming they see my firearm to begin with.

If they come in to rob it and they don't see my firearm... Well I can't say what I would or wouldn't do - the situation would dictate my actions or inactions.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I wouldnt carry around a full sized piece becasue they are too heavy,

Too heavy compared to what ?

TEK said:
    and I dont need one,

I wish I had access to your crystal ball that would let me know for certain when/where I actually need to carry my full size piece and/or extra mags.

Sometimes I carry my full size pistol, sometimes I carry my KelTec P11, sometimes I only carry my pocket .380. Whichever gun I'm carrying, I am ALWAYS carrying an extra magazine "in case I DO need it"

Just trying to get your mind thinking outside the box a little by pointing out some contraries to what you're posting (I certainly have no stake in what or how you carry. You're carrying and that's enough for me. Just make sure you evaluate how much ammo you can comfortably carry with you 'in case' you might need it)

TEK said:
    I wear a suit or blazer to work and oftentimes a blazer when at leisure, so I guess I have a hard time imagining what it would be like to walk around with my comp piece strapped on with every fool eyeballing me.

You'd be surprised at how many fools DON'T eyeball us (that OC).. It's like having a cell phone on your hip or anything else. The sheep are ignorant to their surroundings most of the time.

TEK said:
    Personally, that would freak me out,

Why ? :dunno:

TEK said:
    I am pretty close to not concerned at all about crime deterrence anyways,

I'm willing to bet you another cup of coffee that you lock your doors when you park your car :D (that is a deterrent FYI)

TEK said:
    and it would make my pedestrian transactions a big pain in the neck.

How so ? :dunno:

TEK said:
    But I realize other people may find good reasons to OC though I would not. Thankfully it is a matter of preference in our great state of Indiana, most places at least.

You should try it sometime.. Get that cherry popped .. you'll see there's nothing to it and you'll notice it more than the sheep :D

TEK said:

Go read a few pages of that thread that was linked previously. That'll explain a bit more why it's such a hot topic around here :)

Most of us don't mind how others choose to carry. We just get tired of the same horse getting beaten. It's making for some very poor tasting bacon :laugh:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Too heavy compared to what ?

images

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tactical advantage... pul-leeze

If concealing your weapon is so damn great and gives you the ultimate drop on bad guys why wear a unif ii rm and a badge? Why drive a marked police car at all? All police officers from here on out will be plain clothes with badges on neck chains driving unmarked flat top patrol cars...

Top Bottom