• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So it seems a few folks know our OP. It also seems he is deeply involved in the shooting sport/passion.
    I am to understand that out in the real he is a stellar individual.
    Why is it that the anonymity of a set of keys sends folks into a rage.

People, think about what you post. Please.

let's be fair, I'm talking about many people in this thread...and at the range.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This will be my final post on this forum as it is apparent that idiocy, testosterone, Snowflakiness and macho egotism have made INGO a site that allows idiots and imbreads to try to be as astute as people who have experienced life in the shooting sports for over 50 years.

I've been a shooter for over 50 years. Shot 3 gun, high power matches, FNS, Bowling pin, 22 BSA camp matches, PPC, NRA National Match,
    Silhouette, IPSC, skeet, trap, five stand, clays, bullseye, NRA nationals, etal.

His profile says he was born in 1972 (45 yrs old). Maybe the level of irritation caused exaggeration or gross rounding of numbers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So it seems a few folks know our OP. It also seems he is deeply involved in the shooting sport/passion.
    I am to understand that out in the real he is a stellar individual.
    Why is it that the anonymity of a set of keys sends folks into a rage.

People, think about what you post. Please.

I don't know the OP by username, but like a lot of other INGOers have likely crossed paths more than once.
    I have at least a small handful of friends that have sadly (but deservingly) been banned from INGO. One is a good friend.

CM is right on with this. Some folks need to treat the keyboard as if it was face to face.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well.....I had no intention of referring to you in this as I tend to agree with your post. Folks that get confrontational over these issues and such.
    My post was about the OP.

I was kinda kidding....I know, out of character.

As to KMaC's observation, I regret that I'm 5 months late in wishing "Happy 45th"!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So if I was to shoot my .700 nitro express on a public range I would take an end lane and inform the people present.
    Then set up my Bigfoot target!

Is that correct edict?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I only saw a few people make assertions or agree with the assertions along the lines of "get over over it." They weren't overtly rude or confrontational from what I read. There certainly weren't any "attacks" that would warrant that kind of reaction. My opinion is that the OP overreacted dramatically due to a few people who did not offer comments supportive of his feelings.

If in fact he is only 45 years old, that does make me even less sympathetic after a claim of being in the shooting sports for over 50 years.

On the actual topic, I am curious if those who are averse to others shooting near them with muzzle brakes have ever been in a carbine class with more than a few students. If not, it's common to be on a line with all kinds of muzzle devices (many of them loudeners!) that are often pretty close to you. It's a little disconcerting to be among that, especially when moving and firing as a group, but you get used to it. Granted, an AR or AK with a brake is less crazy than a .338 Lapua, but it's likely you're in closer proximity in such circumstances than people are typically in lanes on a public range.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...If in fact he is only 45 years old, that does make me even less sympathetic after a claim of being in the shooting sports for over 50 years.

I don't know, but it makes me even more anti-abortion than I was before. The fetuses and even the glimmer in daddy's eye appear to have the ability to fight back.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know, but it makes me even more anti-abortion than I was before. The fetuses and even the glimmer in daddy's eye appear to have the ability to fight back.

I have no idea what your intended message is, but that's irrelevant if you're not directly addressing me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I shoot at Atterbury on a regular basis. The 100 yard lanes are right in the middle of the range between the pistol and rifle lanes. There is really no escaping people who choose to shoot their big toys there. This is definitely not the only 338 that has been there, I have felt uncomfortable from 3 lanes to the right when shooting pistols. The same guys then pulled out something with a silencer after rocking all of us with their bench cannon... :dunno: I shot through both and figured it was good training. The people that really bug me at Atterbury are the constant "don't touch the bench offenders" the guys with the cannon and the silencer would go to their bench during cease fire every time... All that equipment and they still could not grasp no one on the benches during cease fire. I don't think there is any good reason to shoot 338 or larger at atterbury. It is a packed range with a lot of concrete and only 100 yards, but that is managements decision. I don't feel the need to get mad at people who are following the rules, but I can sympathize with the OP.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I vote there Sunday as well, this was my first trip there in a few months as I've been going to cloverdale. I wasn't there when this happened but I think I'm done with atterbury. Not to detail here but the RO was a pompous a** on a power trip. I understand staftey being number one but lecturing everyone for 20 minuets every cease fire is bs. Especially when we're paying by the hour. And on top of the he'd expect you to stop what you're doing during a firing session so he can talk for another 5 to 10 minutes.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Silencers help everything regardless of gun it's put on, internal volume counts for a lot. 50BMGs are often hearing safe while shooting suppressed (bolt guns are quieter too just because there's no blowback coming through the action, and no action noise in general)

338s would be no different. 139db or less, plus you're not redirecting the blast out the side or slightly back, you're containing it and what else is there is being directed forward.

It would actually make a huge difference to nearby shooters.

The issue of interest is the pressure waves directed laterally and to the rear toward other people by the ports of the muzzle brake. A silencer would not affect the noise created by the supersonic projectile's motion, but it would eliminate the gases being directed to the sides and rearward and would significantly reduce the sound created by the muzzle blast (the rapidly expanding gases and combustion of unburnt propellant outside of the barrel).

Thank guys for the info. I understand that the brake magnifies things, just didn't think the suppressor would actually appreciably help with a 338 (obviously understand that the supersonic crack would not be alleviated as that is beyond the capability/design of a suppressor. Also understand the bolt gun containing the gas/blast at least in the action.) I understood it would help some, but just didn't think it would be significant.

I'd have never thought it would make one of these guns no protection hearing safe.

Last edited:

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    That is ridiculous, range courtesy is of utmost importance especially if they plan on coming back. Any time I’m shooting a rifle with a brake I try to stay away from others.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Something I will point out, not everyone is familiar with what a break does or how it effect things. Especially us new shooters. If I bought a gun with a break on it, prior to the INGO Open House the other weekend I would have had no idea what that meant or did, other than look cool.

Even now, I am not sure I have a full understanding of everything about a break.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something I will point out, not everyone is familiar with what a break does or how it effect things. Especially us new shooters. If I bought a gun with a break on it, prior to the INGO Open House the other weekend I would have had no idea what that meant or did, other than look cool.

Even now, I am not sure I have a full understanding of everything about a break.

Except that even when I told you it was going to bother you it was still an experience sitting next to me when I let a few go down range.
    They are far more disruptive to those next to the shooter than the shooter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Except that even when I told you it was going to bother you it was still an experience sitting next to me when I let a few go down range.
    They are far more disruptive to those next to the shooter than the shooter.

And we all survived. We took turns like adults and nobody got butthurt. We didnt pitch a hissyfit, and you didnt get uppity. You didnt dominate the bench for box after box after box, and wrapped up when you were ready in a reasonable amount of time. Its all good.

Haven, a brake redirects the gasses of a high power rifle backward (and sometimes up) to control the kick. it uses the gasses like a rocket to help drive the rifle forward to reduce the felt recoil. Thats how you can shoot a 50BMG without dislocating a shoulder. Some also direct some gasses up to control muzzle rise. They are awesome for the shooter, not so for neighbors on the line.

Top Bottom