• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You are wearing the new yoga pants right now, aren't you?

Pants? In the house? What nonsense is this?

Seriously, I've got no problem with hemp production. In the days of Duluth firehouse pants, I just don't think its the game changer some want it to be. We still subsidize cotton. The natural fibers market domestically is not going to be radically changed by this either way.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne

Seriously, I've got no problem with hemp production. In the days of Duluth firehouse pants, I just don't think its the game changer some want it to be. We still subsidize cotton. The natural fibers market domestically is not going to be radically changed by this either way.

Oh. Well it SHOULD BE illegal then.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I read this entire thread and haven't heard an argument yet for why hemp should be illegal, just that the legislature has better things to do than correct/eliminate laws that make no sense. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a dog in this fight… I don't smoke pot and I don't work in an industry that uses hemp, but it does sound like it has some benefits. Is there some good reason for it to be illegal, I mean besides being a threat to others in a given industry? As I have said in other threads, shouldn't liberty and freedom be the default position? Why should we accept nonsensical laws and regulations given no proof that a thing is a detriment?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I find it hugely ironic (and pathetic) that someone whose name is literally FreeMan could be so against freedom, except when it benefits you.

Freeman is my real name. I don't hide behind some screen name like some doper coward.

There's nothing about "freedom" in dope. It's just a policy argument. Make your argument, have the legislature vote.

I get it, you enjoy sharpening your lawyer talons against the field mice of INGO.

Talons? No, I prefer pistol-whipping them. Lots more blood and it leaves marks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh. Well it SHOULD BE illegal then.

To be clear, as one of us is apparently misreading the other, I see no reason for hemp production to be illegal. I also don't think it's going to live up to they hype if it becomes legal. Very little in the way of textiles is manufactured here, and clothing being replaced due to being worn out vs a change in taste or fatness is a pretty small chunk of a small chunk of the pie. If we were stocking 1800's sailing ships, fine. If we're stocking the men's pants section at Target...I doubt it.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    *sniff, sniff*

Smell that, rabbit?

Butt hurt!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you exhibit #3417. No retort or reasoning, just childish name calling.

So the other 99.7% of INGO users are "doper cowards"? If I were you, I would be embarrassed to use my real name acting the way you do.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    To be clear, as one of us is apparently misreading the other, I see no reason for hemp production to be illegal. I also don't think it's going to live up to they hype if it becomes legal. Very little in the way of textiles is manufactured here, and clothing being replaced due to being worn out vs a change in taste or fatness is a pretty small chunk of a small chunk of the pie. If we were stocking 1800's sailing ships, fine. If we're stocking the men's pants section at Target...I doubt it.

Not all rope is for sailboats, and not everything is about pants. There are hundreds of products able to made from a si gle crop. I'm not sure what else you would classify as a game changer.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    I am for hemp as a textile. My amateur research and Internet digging says it actually is a very easy to grow plant that is not really susceptible to insects or disease and does produce a fiber that has better properties than cotton.

This is may be why it was originally squashed as a viable textile..........kinda like the Tucker auto. The others feared it and ganged up on it.

I did did buy the wife a hemp shirt for Christmas and got to say, it is very soft and according to her,....one of the most comfortable shirts she owns.

Hemp as as a textile is a no brainier. This should happen.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I believe the point Freeman is trying to make is that marijuana and hemp legalization have a strong tendency to go hand in hand. I know I've never met a hemp proponent that wasn't also pro-marijuana.

You have now. I recognize that there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to inject itself into the issue and believe that at the state level it is at best an exercise in pissing in the wind when we have far more important problems, but I absolutely do not encourage drug use of any kind--I just don't think that the .gov is the correct agent of temperance, and it sure as hell isn't the correct agent of telling me what I may or may not spin into clothing.

I am not going to eradicate crime from the face of the planet by owning a gun but that isn't a valid argument that I shouldn't be 'allowed' to do so. Similarly, even if it largely remains a cottage industry, it is none of the .gov's business.

*sniff, sniff*

Smell that, rabbit?

Butt hurt!

Kirk, I really don't understand your fixation on this, especially given that you are objectively wrong, arguing against an entirely different issue. My issue is simple. Once again, I can't grow Polyester in the back yard, and I would think that the man who I remember being on the hunt for camel milk could understand the implications of this.

I am for hemp as a textile. My amateur research and Internet digging says it actually is a very easy to grow plant that is not really susceptible to insects or disease and does produce a fiber that has better properties than cotton.

This is may be why it was originally squashed as a viable textile..........kinda like the Tucker auto. The others feared it and ganged up on it.

I did did buy the wife a hemp shirt for Christmas and got to say, it is very soft and according to her,....one of the most comfortable shirts she owns.

Hemp as as a textile is a no brainier. This should happen.

Refine your research. You will find that the demonization and illegalization of hemp happened concurrently with DuPont's introduction of synthetic fibers.

Wait , what ? You mean there's one renewable , "green" resource that could literally change the way we live and break up the petrochemical industry strangle hold on our lives ? ? Naw man , we can't have that .

:yesway: Unfortunately, the petrochemical industry has the dual aces of more money than all of us to buy politicians and people like Freeman who are insistent on conflating hemp fiber with MJ for no apparent rational reason.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    » Countries growing hemp Hemp University Here is a list of nations producing hemp, some of them quite a bit of it. It's not a big game changer.

What factors are you using to draw your conclusion that it isn't a game changer in their country? I didn't read anything g in that link that said anything close to that. The synthetic chemicals that would be eliminated from products and from ultimately our water supply is a game changer. Growing one crop that yields more than others that is able to be harvested faster and used for more products is a game changer. Saving hundreds of acres of trees just for paper is a game changer. In case you haven't noticed, we are developing more and more farmland daily, and they aren't making any more land anytime soon. Bio fuels now are not efficiently made, and a lot of corn that could be used for other things gets tied up that way. Why not use hemp oil? Stronger plastics, oil-based FOOD products, inks, the list goes on. Really people, do some legwork here. It may not be the greatest at everything, but what else is even close to being that versatile? It is the glock 19 of crops. Why would it be illegal to grow? You can't get high from hemp. It is not a drug. Name ONE downside.

I don't care if most people who support hemp support decriminalization of weed, that doesn't make hemp less viable. Two separate plants.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, I really don't understand your fixation on this, especially given that you are objectively wrong, arguing against an entirely different issue.

The dopers are cowards. I'm not wrong about that.

Once again, I can't grow Polyester in the back yard, and I would think that the man who I remember being on the hunt for camel milk could understand the implications of this.

You want to grow hemp? Great, make your argument to the General Assembly.

But to say that everyone who does not share your priorities is a "coward" is simply silly. Not everyone wakes up and thinks about growing hemp.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The dopers are cowards. I'm not wrong about that.

You want to grow hemp? Great, make your argument to the General Assembly.

But to say that everyone who does not share your priorities is a "coward" is simply silly. Not everyone wakes up and thinks about growing hemp.

I, for one, have other reasons for considering our 'friends' in the leadership in the General Assembly cowards and have already addressed those adequately, resting almost exclusively on reasons that do NOT involve hemp. Now, since I do not have the money that Eli Lilly, Cummins Engine, and the Koch Brothers have, which is the only language those useless motherf*ckers speak, now how good counselor do you propose to make an effective argument when the only argument they are accepting is a sh*tload of money?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I have watched you go off on a number of childish tirades over the last few years. I find it hugely ironic (and pathetic) that someone whose name is literally FreeMan could be so against freedom, except when it benefits you. This is the most asinine argument I have seen you make though. What possible negative could allowing someone to grow an INDUSTRIAL CROP bring? Someone might burn a few bales of it and catch a contact?

Hemp isn't pot, Matlock. It lacks the THC content necessary to make it anything close to marijuana. I don't understand how you can't grasp that simple fact. Allowing FREEMEN (see what I did there?) to grow textiles has NOTHING to do with advocating for the usage or legalization of a completely different plant. You have thrown around insults and intellectual dishonesty in this thread (and many others), it gets really old. I get it, you enjoy sharpening your lawyer talons against the field mice of INGO. Good for you. But the tiny little chub you get over MJ advocates, libertarians, Ron Paul supporters, etc causes a lot of people to look at you like a fool.

I listed just a handful of the thousands of uses, none of them are drug related. What other crop can be harvested as quickly and turned into anything close to what hemp can do? Are there other products that are better in just one field ? Of course. Just because one pair of tacticool pants didn't wear out doesn't make hemp fiber less of a useful resource though. One acre of hemp produces as much as 3 acres of cotton, and it is a superior product. An acre of hemp is also worth 3 acres of trees, just for paper usage alone. Wood pulp paper lasts 50 years before it gets brittle and yellows, hemp lasts hundreds of years without doing either. The environmental aspect and land usage considerations alone make it worth "allowing" free people to choose their own crop. If you really need someone to "educate you" , maybe I'll start a Kickstarter to write "The Complete Statist's Guide to Industrial Hemp (It's Not Pot!)"

His childish trolling raises a red flag when it comes to actual representation.

I don't hire children to represent me. The intellectual dishonesty is what is so striking. So childlike.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now, since I do not have the money that Eli Lilly, Cummins Engine, and the Koch Brothers have, which is the only language those useless motherf*ckers speak, now how good counselor do you propose to make an effective argument when the only argument they are accepting is a sh*tload of money?

Well, the pro-hempers could stop whining and raise money to organize and lobby. Reassure skeptics in the General Assembly that hemp legalization is not a stalking horse for marijuana legalization. Disavow marijuana legalization if hemp reform/decriminalization is passed.

Fund a study by say Purdue about anticipated agricultural income from hemp. Devote more money for inspectors on licensed hemp farms so dope is not mixed in.

Not everyone in the General Assembly is aware of the wonders of hemp. There has been no campaign to educate them. Only the same self-entitled "give me, give me, give me" mewling of those of the the Libertarianish bent. They don't like reality intruding upon their L. Neil Smith novel fantasy. Sorry, boys, just call me the bucket of cold water of reality.:D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, the pro-hempers could stop whining and raise money to organize and lobby. Reassure skeptics in the General Assembly that hemp legalization is not a stalking horse for marijuana legalization. Disavow marijuana legalization if hemp reform/decriminalization is passed.

Fund a study by say Purdue about anticipated agricultural income from hemp. Devote more money for inspectors on licensed hemp farms so dope is not mixed in.

Not everyone in the General Assembly is aware of the wonders of hemp. There has been no campaign to educate them. Only the same self-entitled "give me, give me, give me" mewling of those of the the Libertarianish bent. They don't like reality intruding upon their L. Neil Smith novel fantasy. Sorry, boys, just call me the bucket of cold water of reality.:D

I have a better idea. Rather than raising tons of money and making a full time job out of this, address it in November. I am sure that there are others would who appreciate our votes given that the state GOP has make it perfectly clear that they don't intend to do a damned thing for the people they expect to vote for them. It probably won't change anything, but nor will anything else likely to actually work. I fail to understand how it becomes my responsibility to instruct, persuade, coax, cajole, and bribe them into DOING THEIR F**KING JOB. As you, of all people should recall, there are plenty of areas in which this is a problem issue. I would explain what I am satisfied is their principle objection to our possession of hemp fiber, but it would come dangerously close to a violation of INGO rules.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

A Purdue hemp study?

How many would you like?

Good grief you are embarrassing yourself. It is being grown right on campus! Purdue Ag is chomping at the bit!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom