Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Didn't law enforcement come around after the summer study discussion?

LEOs are not to be confused with the leadership of entities such as the Indiana Sheriff's Association, the FOP, Police Chief's Association, etc. The latter are the ones (along with the ISP entity that runs the bureaucracy that is the LTCH program) who all came out against ConC. Not one pointed to anything substantial or anything other than the anecdotal (if it saves one life...)

I'm still waiting for that person who chose not to take the criminal path in life because of the LTCH program.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    House bills not up yet. Senate Bill 33 is titled "Houses of Worship and Firearms. Abstract: Houses of worship and firearms. Permits a person who may legally possess a firearm to possess a firearm on school property if the person possesses the firearm: (1) as an employee or volunteer of a house of worship located on the school property; or (2) while attending a worship service or religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship located on the school property

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/senate/33#document-8b6ff3d9

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    House bills not up yet. Senate Bill 33 is titled "Houses of Worship and Firearms. Abstract: Houses of worship and firearms. Permits a person who may legally possess a firearm to possess a firearm on school property if the person possesses the firearm: (1) as an employee or volunteer of a house of worship located on the school property; or (2) while attending a worship service or religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship located on the school property

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/senate/33#document-8b6ff3d9

AAAAND - although "not clearly labeled" - SB33 has its OWN THREAD here on INGO:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nt/446653-can-get-any-better-than-hb1022.html

(yeah well I try to keep the discussion organized oncest in a while, in the cob-webs of my brain).

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No HB 1022 on the General Assembly site. Anybody got any SA on it?

Unimonster1964

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    I thought the good old days were when one could walk into the hardware, plop down some cash, and walk out with a rifle and a few boxes of cartridges for the same (without ever having shown any sort of card).

Oh well... baby steps back in the right direction ;)

No, the good old days were when you opened your Sears catalog or that month's copy of Guns and Ammo, saw a firearm you liked, ordered it, and waited for the mailman to bring it to your door!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No, the good old days were when you opened your Sears catalog or that month's copy of Guns and Ammo, saw a firearm you liked, ordered it, and waited for the mailman to bring it to your door!

Welcome to INGO! I see you got your fist post in before the 3 year mark, pacing yourself?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    No HB 1022 on the General Assembly site. Anybody got any SA on it?

In case any one is wondering - the bill IS FILED (deadline for filing was yesterday 1/9 before 2 PM) ... I asked JL on his FB page ... we're just waiting on it to get listed ...
    We know the number ...

Might want to call BOSMA ... I'll try later if I get more than a spare second. my monster project reared its head this week, again.

The real problem is that we only have until MONDAY, FEB 5, 2018 for this to have its 3rd reading to move on due to the short session.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In case any one is wondering - the bill IS FILED (deadline for filing was yesterday 1/9 before 2 PM) ... I asked JL on his FB page ... we're just waiting on it to get listed ...
    We know the number ...

Might want to call BOSMA ... I'll try later if I get more than a spare second. my monster project reared its head this week, again.

The real problem is that we only have until MONDAY, FEB 5, 2018 for this to have its 3rd reading to move on due to the short session.
    I saw gaps in the sequence so I figured it was some kind of House procedural stuff. Operation CALL BOSMA can run concurrent with Operation ARC LIGHT BOSMA.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1-800-382-9841 is on the IGA site as the contact number. This is everyone's number at the IGA. Is this the only one?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    THE LINK, IT IS UP:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/house/1022

DIGEST
    Right to carry a handgun. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Specifies that the unlawful carrying of a handgun is a Level 4 felony when a person: (1) is less than 23 years of age; and (2) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC 35-47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon). Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Provides that a reciprocity license is valid for five years. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing handgun licenses. Makes conforming amendments.

PULIC POLICY COMMITTEE (As Expected) -
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/committees/public_policy_1600

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The way is Reciprocity added before license [STRIKE]to carry handgun[/STRIKE], throughout the actual bill, It looks as though we might at least have to pay for a new credential.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The way is Reciprocity added before license [STRIKE]to carry handgun[/STRIKE], throughout the actual bill, It looks as though we might at least have to pay for a new credential.
    IANAL, but from https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/house/1022#document-d5858999

11 (b) The law enforcement agency which accepts an application for a
    12 handgun reciprocity license shall collect the following application
    13 fees:
    14 (1) From a person applying for a four (4) five (5)year handgun
    15 reciprocity license, a ten dollar ($10) application fee, five dollars
    16 ($5) of which shall be refunded if the license is not issued.
    17 (2) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun reciprocity
    18 license who does not currently possess a valid Indiana handgun
    19 reciprocity license, a fifty dollar ($50) application fee, thirty
    20 dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the reciprocity license
    21 is not issued.
    22 (3) From a person applying for a lifetime handgun reciprocity
    23 license who currently possesses a valid Indiana handgun or
    24 reciprocity license, a forty dollar ($40) application fee, thirty
    25 dollars ($30) of which shall be refunded if the reciprocity license
    26 is not issued.

So, it looks like you can get a lifetime reciprocity license for $40 if you currently have a license. If not, you can get it for $50. Sounds like a ripoff to me. I already paid for a lifetime license. I'm not dead yet.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1-800-382-9841, asked to leave a message for the Speaker. I was then transferred to his assistant Morgan. Very polite (both of us) conversation, I asked for his support on HB 1022. Operation CALL BOSMA has begun!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So, it looks like you can get a lifetime reciprocity license for $40 if you currently have a license. If not, you can get it for $50. Sounds like a ripoff to me. I already paid for a lifetime license. I'm not dead yet.

That is a holdover from the old law and refers to already having a valid 4 year when applying for a lifetime.

I see the possibility that we may need to cough up $20 for a new card that says Reciprocity License, but I am probably mistaken.

I am sure that Major White would appreciate the income.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for posting this link (on another thread) Hawkeye. Sheriff Rogers gets it and is speaking my language. After the first bold/underlined (by me) part yell out BOOM! I did.

The state police are concerned about losing revenue in processing the licenses. Chiefs and sheriffs also receive revenue for firearms-related training and for the purchase of ammunition and firearms. Lucas said he would work to address the funding issue. As a sheriff that publicly supports constitutional carry, the financial benefit is not a good enough reason to continue with what many believe is a right that should not be licensed by the government. Concern was expressed about increased risk to officer safety, yet no facts were given to support these concerns. The proponents produced facts from 13 other states with constitutional carry proving that officer safety is not affected by constitutional carry, and shows that good guys don’t shoot cops. Vermont, which has never had a handgun license since 1791, is considered the safest state in the nation.

Constitutional carry will not allow prohibited people to acquire/purchase or carry a hand gun legally. If a prohibited person does so after constitutional carry passes, it will still be against the law, as it is now. Constitutional carry is only for carrying a handgun, not for the purchase of a handgun. Many criminals still carry a handgun today, even though it’s against the law (felony) to carry as a prohibited person. The process to purchase a handgun is unchanged in this proposed legislation.

ASK THE SHERIFF: Sheriff answers questions on constitutional carry | Local News | goshennews.com

Top Bottom