• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I’ve had my LTCH for years and still keep it in my wallet. Is it necessary since we don’t actually need it any longer? I don’t think it hurts to have it. Am I wrong?
    I would recommend an Indiana LTCH for several reasons. They are free. There are still States that don't have ConC that have reciprocity. There is still the school zone issue. We can have the 5 year and the lifetime LTCH. Someday when a bunch of ATF gets fired the 5 year will act as a NICS check.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    That’s pretty much my thoughts behind having my IN LTCH with me everywhere I travel.
    Interesting thoughts about the NICS check. We can only hope there are less ATF agents in the near future.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Kentucky's license to carry allows a purchase from an FFL without a back ground check, did I understand that Indiana's LTCH used to do that? If so, what changed?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Kentucky's license to carry allows a purchase from an FFL without a back ground check, did I understand that Indiana's LTCH used to do that? If so, what changed?
    Always been a bg check, it's federal law. I think years back..90s, there wasn't a bg check for shotguns. I bought a Remington shotgun at walmart in like 95 or so and didn't do any check, but it think if it was a handgun, there was a week waiting period for the bg check. Been so long..

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I’ve had my LTCH for years and still keep it in my wallet. Is it necessary since we don’t actually need it any longer? I don’t think it hurts to have it. Am I wrong?
    I've had my lifetime forever and a day. It was a common ask for old face to face deals to see the pink card as reasonable proof you were a proper person. It's just an extra security blanket as far as being in Indiana is concerned. I think we're reciprocal with several other states, so if you travel it could be useful even if only a little.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    I’ve never heard of this.
    I was with a buddy that lives in KY several months ago when he purchased a Daniel Defense. He has his Kentucky concealed carry but was still required to fill out the gubment paperwork and undergo the background check.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Always been a bg check, it's federal law. I think years back..90s, there wasn't a bg check for shotguns. I bought a Remington shotgun at walmart in like 95 or so and didn't do any check, but it think if it was a handgun, there was a week waiting period for the bg check. Been so long..
    There was always a check it’s just that on handguns in Indiana pre 1994 AWB/Brady law. Before that Indiana required a 7 day wait on handguns UNLESS you had a LTCH then you were considered good to go. the Brady required an instant check for everyone so everyone took it hom LE that day. so that made the 7 day wait obsolete and the state did away with that requirement.

If one is not covered by LEOSA (and even then I’d recommend keeping it getting a LTCH) I recommend everyone get one so what few states don’t have constitutional carry but honor Indiana license your good. Bit like you have to pay a lot or shoot a COF every few years like Illinois or others!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I let my LTCH lapse, I am quite tired of paying out money for a permission slip to exercise my rights.

29 of 50 states, some of which didn't even recognize the Indiana LTCH anyway before they went CC.

Yes Michigan is the main sticking point around here, but I don't go that way often..
    And yes there are the Aholes in Illinois, but not ever your permission slip lets you carry in that place..

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    This is correct. I've not known any period of "no check" for KY or IN my lifetime .
    If you don't get out of state much and want to free up some space.. otherwise just leave it there. it can come in handy. It's the first thing I show if ever traffic stopped at night.. starts it out right.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    I let my LTCH lapse, I am quite tired of paying out money for a permission slip to exercise my rights.

29 of 50 states, some of which didn't even recognize the Indiana LTCH anyway before they went CC.

Yes Michigan is the main sticking point around here, but I don't go that way often..
    And yes there are the Aholes in Illinois, but not ever your permission slip lets you carry in that place..
    How does a LTCH lapse? Is there a fee that I don’t know about to keep it active? I must have missed something when I got mine. I assumed it was a one time deal.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How does a LTCH lapse? Is there a fee that I don’t know about to keep it active? I must have missed something when I got mine. I assumed it was a one time deal.
    There are a few versions, I had one of the 5 year deals. It was set to expire (lapse) a few months after the date CC became effective, so i said... ehh forget renewing it..

If you got the Lifetime then your good.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    There are a few versions, I had one of the 5 year deals. It was set to expire (lapse) a few months after the date CC became effective, so i said... ehh forget renewing it..

If you got the Lifetime then you’re good.

That make more sense. I had the 5 year before the LTCH became available. I opted to get the LTCH well before Constitutional Carry went into effect. I Figure since I have it might as well keep it in my wallet.

Top Bottom