• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hilltop Inn Evansville famous for Brain sandwich's!

iu

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Made me look it up, you are correct sir. Must have been because I went to moresville location first I had that in my mind.

Little insight, I'm from Mooresville, (1980 grad of MHS), grew up and lived there there until 2004, delivered beer to every establishment in Morgan County for my 1st and 3rd Beer distributors and was a sales rep for Morgan and Hendricks county for my 2nd distributor. Even though I have a Plainfield Address, I live closer to Mooresville.

Now, if Biff's Bakery (Pioneer House in the later years) was still open, it might make DDD's list, their Biscuits and Gravy along with Fried potatoes was to die for along it being the birthplace of the Bismark. That place packed in the breakfast crowd. Too bad that after Alice Hornaday (Biff's wife) passed away years after he did there was a family squabble and it never reopened. Family run business, Wife, Brpther, son, daughter, cousins all worked there at one time or another.
    Me and the late Mrs. IBM used to get breakfast there every Sunday morning. Only place that has B&G that comes close to theirs that I know of, is a place in Bloomington on W 3rd about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the 67/37 exit.

Hinkle's Hamburgers in downtown Madison, IN, is supposed to be great, opened in 1933, there's one in Bloomington also at the corner of South Adam's and W. 3rd, it opened in 1930, shut down for a little while and has been resurrected.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Rockola Café, East side of Indy.
    They own the rights and sell in the store Choc-ola. Not sure if I spelled that correctly.
    May have been the original Chocolate drink prior to Yoo-Hoo.

Anyway an old fashioned diner feel with large portions and good food.

Also surprised it wasn't mentioned already. The Ordinary in Wannamaker, known for their pizza.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Rockola Café, East side of Indy.
    They own the rights and sell in the store Choc-ola. Not sure if I spelled that correctly.
    May have been the original Chocolate drink prior to Yoo-Hoo.

Anyway an old fashioned diner feel with large portions and good food.

Located on Brookville Road, between Arlington & Ritter, across form the old Navistar/International Harvester location.
    I've eaten there a few times, with the main intent to pick up gallon jug of Choc-Ola. Good burgers and fries.

At one time a while back, Prairie Farms was selling it in Northern Indiana in half gallon jugs. Also it looks like there is a attempt to bring back the delicious chocolatey drink in plastic bottles.
    As a young teenager I remember popping open a ice cold bottle out of the 7-Up machine that was at the old Mooresville Glass Company that was across the street from the old USPS office.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    When I think of a dive.... that I actually like, I think of Sit n Bull Pub in Laotto. Used to reek of cigarette smoke and sometimes vomit, but I love their food. Not sure if it is because it is good or that I have been eating it since the early 80s. I go there any time I have a chance when I am home for the cheeseburger or breaded tenderloin.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I second Milton’s in Albany. Just seems like the good old days of restaurants in America. I also have to call attention to the Lemon Drop in Anderson. It’s tiny and quite the experience to even get inside it. Really neat.
    Nicks Kitchen downtown Huntington.
    Harry’s Old Kettle Pub in Wabash.
    Bouser’s Barn in Union City is decorated nicely.
    Sycamore Drive-in (Logansport, Monticello, and Roselawn locations) has frozen custard that is second to none (open seasonally)
    Deangelo’s Pizza in Denver
    Mrs. Wick’s in Winchester (you can get cheap factory second pies from the pie factory!!)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    When I think of a dive.... that I actually like, I think of Sit n Bull Pub in Laotto. Used to reek of cigarette smoke and sometimes vomit, but I love their food. Not sure if it is because it is good or that I have been eating it since the early 80s. I go there any time I have a chance when I am home for the cheeseburger or breaded tenderloin.
    Still there and surviving the Governors shutdown. At least it was a month ago.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I was underwhelmed by Edward's Drive-In. Cool atmosphere and decor, tenderloin was meh.
    Lots of average tenderloins out there, even Nick's in Huntington has better pies than tenderloins.
    Somebody mentioned Squealers - maybe a top 5 or 6 BPT for me, a self-professed tenderloin snob.

Gotta go to Edward's on Mondays for the $1 chili dogs. Did you get root beer? Shoulda got root beer.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Me and the Fam got into town tonight for the 1911 build class tomorrow morning. We are at Rusty Bucket waiting for our breaded tenderloins. I will follow up with a report afterwards.

Edit to follow up after dinner:
    The breaded tenderloin was good. The fries were average and the service was so so. It was a toss up between Squealers and Rusty Bucket. I had been to squealers so thought we’d try RB. Should’ve went to squealers.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I definitely agree with Squealers & Grays, two of our favorite places to go. Though I like Hong Kong better than Dong's. I also like the Gyro King down by Kroger as well.
    I had the gyro king when it first opened and it was great! But, I love gyros so it isn’t a lot of people’s thing, wife hates em. I like dongs for the buffet and crab Rangoon, but Hong Kong’s main meals are definitely better. Their pepper steak is great.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Great Idea here & Thanks. How bout some Input for Places South of Seymour? I'll start it with: Neil & Patty's Fireside, Sellersburg-Best Onion Rings around!

Top Bottom