Indiana Knife Law: stop the misinformation!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You can own them, can't you? Just not carry?

C'mon guys, the OP posted the entire CODE!

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    If this is law then I will just build a "Switch" to move to the side and auto open it that way.

Is a button a switch. haha

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Oh sheesh Evan! "OWN" is not in there. I'd read once that possess means, or intends to mean "carry on one's person".

What you do inside your home is usually not included in most laws except for drugs and such.

I don't know, if you have a knife at home, is it considered to be displayed? Not if you have no audience I guess.

I'm just asking because it's not 101% clear. Just about 99.8%.

Sorry!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm just asking because it's not 101% clear. Just about 99.8%.

No kidding. Indiana knife laws are like that. :n00b: ;)

According to Merriam-Webster, 'possess' is defined as "to have and hold as property : own b: to have as an attribute, knowledge, or skill".

The way I read it, they're trying to define every possible thing you CAN'T do with an auto knife, except destroy it. :D

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Ok gotcha. Damn that sucks. Why are they like that in IN? Why can't it be legal to buy and sell, but not carry or have on one's person or vehicle? Make some sort of C&R thing or whatever it would take to be able to own one and keep it at home so you can go click-clack while surfing INGO?

SBS and auto knives. WTF seriously?

Hey, it keeps me from spending $450 that I don't have!

Wait, who sells to these guys that sell at the gunshows?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    SBS and auto knives. WTF seriously?

I don't get it either. Here I can carry an SBR (assuming I paid my $200) fully-loaded in my trunk without any kind of permit or license, but I can't even own an SBS. :n00b: I can carry a loaded handgun concealed on my person almost everywhere I go, but I can't own a knife with a blade that flips out when I push a button. :n00b:

Wait, who sells to these guys that sell at the gunshows?

People that don't live in Indiana, I assume. :dunno:

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah, careless out of state guys that don't know better. At least with firearms and a lot of other things, sellers are aware of laws and abide by them. I guess it's not illegal for them to sell to IN as long as they aren't in it when selling. wow.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    15-20 years ago there was a Martial Arts store in Washington Square mall. That's where I bought a "throwing star". The fact that it wasn't sharpened into blades at various angles might have been the loop hole.

I bought a few from the same store. I probally still have one in an old shoe box some where.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't get it either. Here I can carry an SBR (assuming I paid my $200) fully-loaded in my trunk without any kind of permit or license, but I can't even own an SBS.

You need a LTCH, the state defines it as a handgun.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I don't know about that one Carmel. It DOES fall into that definition but then when it falls into a more particularly described AND more serious definition, that second definition probably holds to be the truest. And since that is defined by the ATF as a rifle, AND you'd have your tax stamp, I may think it could be carried in your trunk without a LTCH.

Then again, I don't remember who trumps who- State or Federal when being more particular. I don't think it's the same as who is right when something is illegal. This is different.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't know about that one Carmel. It DOES fall into that definition but then when it falls into a more particularly described AND more serious definition, that second definition probably holds to be the truest. And since that is defined by the ATF as a rifle, AND you'd have your tax stamp, I may think it could be carried in your trunk without a LTCH.

Wrong.
    The state and federal law work in parallel. The federal definition doesn't mean diddly in applying state law, and the state definition doesn't mean diddly in applying federal law.

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    15-20 years ago there was a Martial Arts store in Washington Square mall. That's where I bought a "throwing star". The fact that it wasn't sharpened into blades at various angles might have been the loop hole.

I used to think that was the coolest place ever when I was a little kid. :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So if I carry a knife on school property, does the state have to prove "intent to use it as a weapon" to get a conviction?

I carry a knife all the time. My only intent ever is to use it as a tool, never a weapon.

What do you think? (I know what I think, I'm just checking.)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So if I carry a knife on school property, does the state have to prove "intent to use it as a weapon" to get a conviction?

I carry a knife all the time. My only intent ever is to use it as a tool, never a weapon.

Since I was a young child I was always taught that knives are tools. The weapon is the person who wields said tool.

Does that mean I can not go to schools... :D

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

you milage WILL vary from location to location. personally, i have had a knife on me everytime i have been to a school. and i have used it in front of the school superitendent of no less than three different school districts. but i'm not saying you won't get into trouble. because, in the end, they can dictact what they class as weapons, and how they class people. threat or not a threat.

my advice? just don't be flashing around the fact that your carrying a knife... don't spit in the eye of the school, and be professional. they tell you to put it in your car, put it in your car. in any case, they shouldn't even KNOW you have a knife. but i don't unclip my knives when entering. i don't do anything but walk in, just as i am from the street.

again, this can be deemed illegal. YMMV. the law is the law.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Does Indiana law make any distinction between single edged and double edged knives? I couldn't find anything on it. I did find this, which is pretty interesting: http://www.doe.in.gov/isssa/pdf/FBI-weapons.pdf

Kicking around ideas the other day and was wondering if the "CIA letter openers" are considered blades. They are a polymer knife-like object with a fiberglass core that is intended to be used as a stabbing utensil. I question their actual usefulness in any situation, and it would probably look pretty terrible if one was found on your person during a search. Wouldn't be too brilliant to try to smuggle one into a courthouse or an airliner, but what about just carrying one on your person, or in various other places where firearms and knives are prohibited? This is aside from private property, I mean places where it is unlawful to carry a knife. In the end I think an empty bottle would be more useful, but they are cool in a way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom