Indiana Knife Law: stop the misinformation!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Does Indiana law make any distinction between single edged and double edged knives? I couldn't find anything on it. I did find this, which is pretty interesting: http://www.doe.in.gov/isssa/pdf/FBI-weapons.pdf

Kicking around ideas the other day and was wondering if the "CIA letter openers" are considered blades. They are a polymer knife-like object with a fiberglass core that is intended to be used as a stabbing utensil. I question their actual usefulness in any situation, and it would probably look pretty terrible if one was found on your person during a search. Wouldn't be too brilliant to try to smuggle one into a courthouse or an airliner, but what about just carrying one on your person, or in various other places where firearms and knives are prohibited? This is aside from private property, I mean places where it is unlawful to carry a knife. In the end I think an empty bottle would be more useful, but they are cool in a way.

there is no "double edged" rule.

2: DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO CARRY A WEAPON INTO A WEAPON RESTRICTED ZONE. if you do. don't get caught. if you don't, have a plan.

the nonmetallic knives and objects are very useful and comforting to certian people and professions. know your laws, rules, regs, and rights in any situation you carry a weapon into. be prepared for the consequences if you are found in the wrong.

that being said: the nonmetallic knives are generally made and DESIGNED to be a much better weapon than a bottle. never seen a bottle fit a hand like it was designed to in a life or death situation. and those long necks are poor stabbers.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    there is no "double edged" rule.

2: DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO CARRY A WEAPON INTO A WEAPON RESTRICTED ZONE. if you do. don't get caught. if you don't, have a plan.

the nonmetallic knives and objects are very useful and comforting to certian people and professions. know your laws, rules, regs, and rights in any situation you carry a weapon into. be prepared for the consequences if you are found in the wrong.

that being said: the nonmetallic knives are generally made and DESIGNED to be a much better weapon than a bottle. never seen a bottle fit a hand like it was designed to in a life or death situation. and those long necks are poor stabbers.

In the end, I agree with you, but.... An empty bottle would appear to most people not knowing the motivation for it being carried as a just a citizen concerned about the environment, looking for a recycle bin. You aren't going to poke someone in the brain stem with a broken bottle, but you aren't going to get tossed in the clink when a search uncovers it. I guess in the end all this is a moot point, because anyplace you go that would strip you of nail clippers and Swiss army knives is probably going to have something to say about glass containers.

I absolutely agree with your point No. 2, and that was the intent of my question. Is a fiberglass boot knife really considered a weapon? The .pdf I linked to showed not only the "CIA letter openers," but also "lettuce knives" as being weapons. I don't know how long it would take you to saw into something vital with the lettuce knife, but apparently even foam swords and toy light saber meet the FBI's criteria for a weapon...... :dunno:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    In the end, I agree with you, but.... An empty bottle would appear to most people not knowing the motivation for it being carried as a just a citizen concerned about the environment, looking for a recycle bin. You aren't going to poke someone in the brain stem with a broken bottle, but you aren't going to get tossed in the clink when a search uncovers it. I guess in the end all this is a moot point, because anyplace you go that would strip you of nail clippers and Swiss army knives is probably going to have something to say about glass containers.

exactly. the "weapon" is just a vehicle to you destination. you can bludgen someone to death with a tricycle. its still a tricycle. but if you bludgen them with a spiked club, its a spiked club.

some people buy nonmetallic weapons for the "cool" factor. some people actually stake their lives on them, legally. but need something low key as to not make others around them, which they may be protecting, edgy and uncomfortable. and you can carry them in indiana, legally. think about the jogger who wants a LIGHTWEIGHT defense tool, designed for that purpose... you can toss it around your neck, not even feel it, run and not care. no RUST, it won't SLICE you if it falls out.... some kids finds it if you lose it, they won't cut themselves open.... probly just think its some "toy" and toss it or bury it in their toybox... a STEEL knife?? can you talk to Timmy's mom.... she just got back from the ER and is miffed....... :draw:

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    just because its not legal doesnt mean they are not available ( swap meets some gun shows small knick knack shops) the officer talking to you doesnt care that you bought it down the street or not.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Huh, I got throwing stars easy when I was a kid. My grandfather made a deadly one out of huge nails and huge metal washers for me lol.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    wow then the LEO's need to step it up at the 1500 then cause there was a booth selling auto openers and throwing knives and throwing stars and the LEO's just walked right on by.

I saw one guy near the Marine Corps League table with several. He said it was "OK" since he's from Michigan and the he was only offering the knives to law enforcement....

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    To fit the definition of an illegal automatic knife does it have to have a button? I have a Lone Wolf Double Action that you can open manually with a thumb stud or auto by moving the scale to the side, I doubt anyone would figure it out unless they were familiar with it, but is it legal?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    To fit the definition of an illegal automatic knife does it have to have a button? I have a Lone Wolf Double Action that you can open manually with a thumb stud or auto by moving the scale to the side, I doubt anyone would figure it out unless they were familiar with it, but is it legal?

As long as the LEO doesn't find the hidden button or tang opening device! Ha!!

So NO,it's verboten in der Indiana

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    WOW !!
    Am I reading this right ... a knife like a Kershaw assisted is illegal to own in INDIANA???

NO! its an ASSISTED knife. you begin the action, and the spring "assists" the opening. its not mechanically accoplished. a BUTTON, bolster, or anything thats a "release" is a mechanical "automatic" knife.

assisted open knives are completely legal in indiana.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Just getting some clarification, i have started carrying a smaller folder, and also carrying either a Dozier Arkansas Toothpick or a Strider SA, both under 4" concealed IWB, is this legal?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Just getting some clarification, i have started carrying a smaller folder, and also carrying either a Dozier Arkansas Toothpick or a Strider SA, both under 4" concealed IWB, is this legal?

yes. there are no restrictions on fixed bladed knives. BUT: all this goes out the window if you have unlawful intent, break the laws, or anything else which puts you in possession of a weapon while commiting crimes.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Thanks, thats just what i wanted to hear, i switched my folder carry from an SMF to either an SNG, xm-18 or large Sebenza and the small fixed blade and I was hoping I was legal

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thanks, thats just what i wanted to hear, i switched my folder carry from an SMF to either an SNG, xm-18 or large Sebenza and the small fixed blade and I was hoping I was legal

Great knife selections by the way, I wish I had those to choose from when I'm selecting my EDC blades....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom