• ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Draconian?

It's down right tyrannical I can't buy a car from a dealer on Sunday too. Magna Carta Redux is just around the corner.

Damn, beat me to it.:D Draconian.... seems a bit of an extreme term to apply here.

Besides nothing will happen on this any time soon, the empty heads are more concerned about why the lights went out in the Super Dome.... idiots. Who the **** cares.:n00b:

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    This makes me laugh so much, the liquor store owner is against repealing the law because it will cost him more to open his doors on Sunday. Let me think, last I checked there was no law requiring a business to be open 7 days a week, 6 days a week or even 1 day a week for that matter. I fail to see how repealing this law will really change anything other than potentially relieving a huge inconvenience. First Sunday after I left the state I went and bought a bottle of Vodka, smiled and drank it. Wouldn't do that now, older, wiser, liver, but you know it's the little things.

I heard that argument on the radio yesterday. Ridiculous. Aside from the fact that it is just another example of some industry wanting the government to help limit competition for them, if you can't make enough money selling liquor to pay a couple of people to run the place for the day, there is something seriously wrong with your business model.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I have been mentioning this to my state Rep on EVERY "legislative survey" that I get from him.

Question for the masses: Presuming this doesn't pass (Again) in IN - could the case be made for an Unconstitutional "Blue Law" lawsuit? Same with not being able to buy a car on a Sunday...

I mean, it's pretty much historical fact that yes, it's a Blue Law, and yes, it was enacted due to some folks' ignorance of Christian theology... Therefore, wasn't / isn't it a religious law and unconstitutional?

-J-

Remember, sec 2 of the 21st Amendment returned to the states essentially plenary power over alcohol regulation. The states can do as they see fit. The ban on Sunday sales is facially neutral in regards to religion.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It is draconian to imprison people for selling refreshments on the wrong day of the week. We've just grown accustomed to living with the law and accepting it as our reality.

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Got my hopes up that someday soon Indiana will get rid of this silly law. As mentioned earlier in this thread no sales on Sunday doesn't stop anyone that wants to drink just makes it more difficult and is rather inconvenient.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Remember, sec 2 of the 21st Amendment returned to the states essentially plenary power over alcohol regulation. The states can do as they see fit. The ban on Sunday sales is facially neutral in regards to religion.

I has a sad. :-(

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The liquor stores are paying enough of the right people off to try and keep this from passing.

Right, and I understand their position. They have an unlevel playing field vis a vis supermarkets. We should do this right, allow anyone with a liquor license to sell liquor, warm or cold, and any other legal item beside it. The liquor stores are upset that the supermarkets, who can stock food items, will take the Sunday sales when people are doing weekend shopping, while liquor stores can't stock food. That's crazy.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i can't remember the tax dollars indiana loses for this. something to the tune of 80 million every year that goes to other states.

living in a border area, its literally a 10 minute drive to the nearest bar in Ohio, if even that. losing Sunday business to Ohio doesn't seem to be hurting local stores at all.

its more annoying that i can't buy cold beer at convenience stores. also legal in Ohio. big-box stores are able to sell cold beer all days as well, however no liquor sales on sunday. weird that.

repeal the law, i don't think it will hurt or harm things much whatsoever.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I would much rather be able to buy cold beer at the grocery store than buy at a liquor store on Sunday.

You can buy growlers at brewpubs currently on Sundays so we're "getting there"

I think we need fewer laws, and beer on Sundays sounds like a great way to start reducing them!

rthatchjr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Ok this is funny!!! Makes sense to me too!!

I understand why the law was originally instituted. I mean at that time the stores were all closed on Sunday and Sunday was set aside for church and family time. Today, it really isn't for the vast amount of people. And so people who want to have drinks on Sunday buy on Saturday. So might as well sell liquor on Sunday, it really doesn't stop anyone from drinking anyway. Heck, for those who still have family Sundays it might make them more tolerable!:laugh:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Right, and I understand their position. They have an unlevel playing field vis a vis supermarkets. We should do this right, allow anyone with a liquor license to sell liquor, warm or cold, and any other legal item beside it. The liquor stores are upset that the supermarkets, who can stock food items, will take the Sunday sales when people are doing weekend shopping, while liquor stores can't stock food. That's crazy.

Actually you have it wrong, and nobody wanting Sunday sales fails to see the whole picture.

You see a liquor store by LAW can not have anyone stroll into their store under 21, that means that a parent can not even bring an underage child into their premise.

Want Sunday sales. make Grocery stores and Convenience stores adhere to the same laws that liquor stores have to adhere. That means they can't have kids strolling down the beer aisle, can't buy a cold pop by the register to use in a mixed drink.

Now as a last point to me made, if you want Sunday sales, be prepared to pay more for it, because the people who supply it, will be forced to move from a 5 day operation to a six day operation. That means more overhead and cost. Plain and simple, there is no way around it, prices WILL go up because we are not going to take a loss to operate our business.

All this spew that is being touted about how much money is lost to neighboring states is plain BS.

They state that Indiana is loosing 300 to 600 million dollars in sales to surrounding states is totally false, that would mean that Indiana would ne losing between 15 to 30 million cases of beer sales a year.

Folks I hate to break the news to you, but the over all beer sales last year for Indiana was about 40 Million, there is no way in the world those numbers are right.

I think I know a "little" about the business, after all I have been employed in the business for 28 years as both a Salesman and route salesman.

This is going to be my only speaking point on this, I'm not going to get into a debate, and if the law is revised, don't biotch if you end up paying more for your beer, because it will happen.

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Can we go ahead and add to this the whole 'no alcohol on Election Day' rule. It's pretty frustrating to be out to dinner on election day and try to order a beer and have them tell you no after you already voted. But definitely Sunday. If they're worried about the church angle...limit it to after 11am. Then we all have time to grab beer and start cooking something for the Colts 1pm kickoff.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Actually you have it wrong, and nobody wanting Sunday sales fails to see the whole picture.

You see a liquor store by LAW can not have anyone stroll into their store under 21, that means that a parent can not even bring an underage child into their premise.

Want Sunday sales. make Grocery stores and Convenience stores adhere to the same laws that liquor stores have to adhere. That means they can't have kids strolling down the beer aisle, can't buy a cold pop by the register to use in a mixed drink.

Now as a last point to me made, if you want Sunday sales, be prepared to pay more for it, because the people who supply it, will be forced to move from a 5 day operation to a six day operation. That means more overhead and cost. Plain and simple, there is no way around it, prices WILL go up because we are not going to take a loss to operate our business.

All this spew that is being touted about how much money is lost to neighboring states is plain BS.

They state that Indiana is loosing 300 to 600 million dollars in sales to surrounding states is totally false, that would mean that Indiana would ne losing between 15 to 30 million cases of beer sales a year.

Folks I hate to break the news to you, but the over all beer sales last year for Indiana was about 40 Million, there is no way in the world those numbers are right.

I think I know a "little" about the business, after all I have been employed in the business for 28 years as both a Salesman and route salesman.

This is going to be my only speaking point on this, I'm not going to get into a debate, and if the law is revised, don't biotch if you end up paying more for your beer, because it will happen.

I'm willing to go for a entirely level field, and I have no problem with under 21 going into bars and liquor stores with parents. I remember my father taking me to the corner bar and having a Coke while he drank his beer, with both of us bellied up to the bar. Let everyone do compete equally and let the chips fall where they may.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This week lawmakers are discussing ending Sunday prohibition on take-home alcohol sales. Tell lawmakers to support free markets for a change.

Indiana Lawmakers Possibly Lifting Ban On Sunday Alcohol Sales, Local Liquor Stores Are Concerned

Indiana has strictest -- and likely most contradictory -- Sunday alcohol-sales law in the nation

This is actually a much LARGER issue than just Sunday liquor sales.

The REAL issue is that ANY private business should be free to choose their OWN days and hours.

And it's NO BUSINESS of the government what they are.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This is actually a much LARGER issue than just Sunday liquor sales.

The REAL issue is that ANY private business should be free to choose their OWN days and hours.

And it's NO BUSINESS of the government what they are.

:+1:

:+1:

It's not religious and it never has been. USPS is also closed on Sunday, should we sue them too? :rolleyes:

So 49 states got it wrong, and Indiana has it right? The issue here isn't what will keep prices lowest, it's about capitalism. The government is trying to do a favor to liquor stores by prohibiting Sunday sales. We've all been to liquor stores in other states, they still exist, and the prices are comparable to liquor stores here, which are already higher than grocery stores, yet they stay in business.
    Sure, prices will temporarily spike, but they will come back down.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So 49 states got it wrong, and Indiana has it right? The issue here isn't what will keep prices lowest, it's about capitalism. The government is trying to do a favor to liquor stores by prohibiting Sunday sales. We've all been to liquor stores in other states, they still exist, and the prices are comparable to liquor stores here, which are already higher than grocery stores, yet they stay in business.
    Sure, prices will temporarily spike, but they will come back down.

Let's see, state owned liquor and beer stores in a lot of states, prices higher than Indiana, I can go on and one. Also the state of Washington even admitted that they screwed up years back when over 35% of the mom and pop stores closed because of the allowed Sunday sales.

That's a lot of small business that was paying wages and taxes that won't ever be recouped.

Grocery stores want Sunday sales for one reason and one reason only, drive business towards their store.

People always say "But it's cheaper @ the grocery store".

Yep, you know why, the same reason Osco Drugs stores (when they was still around) used to sell their liquor @ a $1.00 dollar loss.

To get you in the store and rape you on everything else that you buy there all while thinking that you are getting a deal. My first job for 4 years was working the grocery business, don't ever think that they are just making a meager profit. 40% plus profit on everything they sell except for the loss leaders like beer and pop to get you in the store.

I'm just saying folks, you want Sunday sales, it will come @ a cost, and it will be @ the expense of everyone, because of the very few people who complain that they can't buy on Sunday's.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Can we go ahead and add to this the whole 'no alcohol on Election Day' rule. It's pretty frustrating to be out to dinner on election day and try to order a beer and have them tell you no after you already voted. But definitely Sunday. If they're worried about the church angle...limit it to after 11am. Then we all have time to grab beer and start cooking something for the Colts 1pm kickoff.

Where you been, that was reversed two years ago.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom