• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Let's see, state owned liquor and beer stores in a lot of states, prices higher than Indiana, I can go on and one. Also the state of Washington even admitted that they screwed up years back when over 35% of the mom and pop stores closed because of the allowed Sunday sales.

That's a lot of small business that was paying wages and taxes that won't ever be recouped.

Grocery stores want Sunday sales for one reason and one reason only, drive business towards their store.

People always say "But it's cheaper @ the grocery store".

Yep, you know why, the same reason Osco Drugs stores (when they was still around) used to sell their liquor @ a $1.00 dollar loss.

To get you in the store and rape you on everything else that you buy there all while thinking that you are getting a deal. My first job for 4 years was working the grocery business, don't ever think that they are just making a meager profit. 40% plus profit on everything they sell except for the loss leaders like beer and pop to get you in the store.

I'm just saying folks, you want Sunday sales, it will come @ a cost, and it will be @ the expense of everyone, because of the very few people who complain that they can't buy on Sunday's.

There are 18 states that have a monopoly on liquor sales. I pay the same for a bottle of vodka in Indiana as I do in Florida. Grocery stores are already cheaper, and they always will be. Liquor stores are special stores, and just like with any specialty store, you're going to pay a little more for a better selection. I flat out agreed that we would likely see a price spike, but it would come down when owners realized the Sunday Sales Doomsday scenario was way overstated.
    Despite all that, you still didn't address my main problem with prohibition on Sunday sales, ESPECIALLY if for the reason of "protecting" liquor stores. It's government favoritism of private business, and it's flat out wrong. When the government picks winners and losers in business, it's the consumer that loses every time.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    There are 18 states that have a monopoly on liquor sales. I pay the same for a bottle of vodka in Indiana as I do in Florida. Grocery stores are already cheaper, and they always will be. Liquor stores are special stores, and just like with any specialty store, you're going to pay a little more for a better selection. I flat out agreed that we would likely see a price spike, but it would come down when owners realized the Sunday Sales Doomsday scenario was way overstated.
    Despite all that, you still didn't address my main problem with prohibition on Sunday sales, ESPECIALLY if for the reason of "protecting" liquor stores. It's government favoritism of private business, and it's flat out wrong. When the government picks winners and losers in business, it's the consumer that loses every time.

You want Sunday Sales, then you lobby for it to happen and make sure it contains language so that Grocery stores have to adhere to the same laws as Liquor stores.

That means the person who runs the register has to be 21.
    The beer/liquor must be in a contained area of the store where no one under 21 may enter.
    Make each employee attend the mandatory training the liquor store employees have to.
    Require each employee to get a Indiana ABC license.
    Grocery stores my no longer operate under a pharmacy license to sell alochol.
    Plus countless other laws that must be adhered to.

Other words, level playing field, oh this would also mean lifting the banned sales of prohibited items @ liquor stores. (Candy bars, Milk, bread ect.)

Now, above you say that..

I flat out agreed that we would likely see a price spike, but it would come down when owners realized the Sunday Sales Doomsday scenario was way overstated.
    There is no overstating on this, prices will rise, just from the point of each distributor having to move from a 5 day delivery operation to a 6 day operation. People fail to realize that each circumstance, has it's consequence.

In all reality, this is sort like deregulation. Deregulation has long been touted as way to lower prices. It has had that effect to a extent, but in most instances, deregulation has done nothing more than create less competition and risen prices.

To me, it does not matter squat, I've been in this business both delivering and sales for 28 years. I'll make my money either way it goes, but I'm telling you the end result of people want to buy on Sunday where there will be no increase in sales, does not justify the added expense and cost that will ripple throughout the entire industry here in Indiana.

When the government picks winners and losers in business, it's the consumer that loses every time.

I want you to list the business where the consumer loses every time.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You want Sunday Sales, then you lobby for it to happen and make sure it contains language so that Grocery stores have to adhere to the same laws as Liquor stores.

That means the person who runs the register has to be 21.
    The beer/liquor must be in a contained area of the store where no one under 21 may enter.
    Make each employee attend the mandatory training the liquor store employees have to.
    Require each employee to get a Indiana ABC license.
    Grocery stores my no longer operate under a pharmacy license to sell alochol.
    Plus countless other laws that must be adhered to.

Other words, level playing field, oh this would also mean lifting the banned sales of prohibited items @ liquor stores. (Candy bars, Milk, bread ect.)

You can bet your bottom dollar I'd lobby for a level playing field, one that is much more level than we have now, but perhaps not in the direction you would expect. I say repeal laws requiring EVERYTHING that you mention above. No minimum age for ringing up alcohol, no minimum age simply to enter a store, no mandatory state training, no ABC license, pharmacy license should never allow for "OTC" ( :): ) sales of liquor, allow liquor stores to also sell whatever the hell they please, and repeal any other laws that create a disparity between a liquor store and a grocery store.

Now, above you say that..

There is no overstating on this, prices will rise, just from the point of each distributor having to move from a 5 day delivery operation to a 6 day operation. People fail to realize that each circumstance, has it's consequence.

There would be no "need" to make it a 6 day delivery operation. I work in a pharmacy that's open Saturdays AND Sundays and we only get product delivered 5 days a week.

In all reality, this is sort like deregulation. Deregulation has long been touted as way to lower prices. It has had that effect to a extent, but in most instances, deregulation has done nothing more than create less competition and risen prices.

Reference?

To me, it does not matter squat, I've been in this business both delivering and sales for 28 years. I'll make my money either way it goes, but I'm telling you the end result of people want to buy on Sunday where there will be no increase in sales, does not justify the added expense and cost that will ripple throughout the entire industry here in Indiana.

I want you to list the business where the consumer loses every time.

• Healthcare
    • Insurance
    • Education
    • Transportation
    • FIREARMS

To name a few general areas where government regulations increase pricing. Not to mention banking, where the government has continually bailed out banks, and unfortunately even created the Federal Reserve, whose policies have driven inflation up.

papadog97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Doesn't make much sense when you can cross the border and get in Michigan. Not much of a deterrent, is it?

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I'd rather not have alcohol sold on sunday rather than have vehicle inspections done. They are saying our air quality is the worst in the country right now (which I hardly believe), they are saying this during this legislation right now. Coincidence? They'll screw you over just to have something else.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So, has the alcohol lobby ever sat down with the Sunday sales lobby and exchanged the ideas laid out by Beerman? I haven't heard that they have. I could be wrong. On the surface, it would appear that those requests aren't at all out of the question. Other states have mini-liquor stores in their supermarkets and drugstores. Do the Sunday sales folks reject such measures and if so, why?

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let's get this law changed! It's about time my family can buy beer when it's getting groceries on Sunday. It is one of the busiest shopping days of the week!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    most of the people on here sound the same as "pro backround checks for gun" folks...think it sounds like a great idea but have no idea how the system works and think with the stroke of a pen all problems will be fixed. First, fix the draconian laws under which liquor stores operate under. Outrageous license fees, sales restrictions (they can't sell playing cards, cold drinks, candy, etc.) and countless other restrictions placed on them. The state already gives prefrence to grocery stores for alcohol sales, so can you blame the local liquor store for fighting it?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    It seems to work fine in the other 49 states. Addressing the restrictions on liquor stores is important, but not doing it first is not going to drive them out of business. If that was the case, then Indiana would be the only state with liquor stores. The article was wrong, Indiana is not the only place you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. There are many places that have dry counties that prohibit take home alcohol sales ever day of the week, Calloway County in Kentucky is one I have been to. I bet they don't have any liquor stores in dry counties. Lets get rid of dry counties, Sunday regulations ( alcohol, car, and horse sales ), and keep vehicle inspections off the books.

Well actually, one good thing about vehicle inspections, those silly trucks that blow black exhaust smoke out of their chrome bed stacks, all over us drivers behind them, will be forced to comply! They do it on purpose too, I have driven behind a truck that floors it, so it smokes screens me.

I never saw a truck with something that stupid, before moving here from CA where we have regular inspections, and smog tests. I couldn't believe my eyes.

But at the same time, we would all have to have cats on our cars, and I would have to take the breather off of my PCV valve and put the fume recycling tube back on,

• Healthcare
    • Insurance
    • Education
    • Transportation
    • FIREARMS

To name a few general areas where government regulations increase pricing. Not to mention banking, where the government has continually bailed out banks, and unfortunately even created the Federal Reserve, whose policies have driven inflation up.

Yep, especially the airline industry (transportation). How did deregulation decrease competition and increase prices?

Last edited:

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Now as a last point to me made, if you want Sunday sales, be prepared to pay more for it, because the people who supply it, will be forced to move from a 5 day operation to a six day operation. That means more overhead and cost. Plain and simple, there is no way around it, prices WILL go up because we are not going to take a loss to operate our business.

This is going to be my only speaking point on this, I'm not going to get into a debate, and if the law is revised, don't biotch if you end up paying more for your beer, because it will happen.

With respect to your experience in the industry, I call BS, sir.

I lived in Colorado for a while. Liquor stores could sell on Sunday, grocery stores sold liquor, and gas stations could sell cold cold beer. They all did fine.

Your comment about increased costs ignores the very real probability of increased revenue. If you can sell on Sundays, people WILL (probably) buy on Sunday. Therefore you have the very real possibility of covering your costs with sales. Hell, you might even make a profit.

Sorry, but I don't buy the increased costs argument. (No pun intended.)

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    apples to oranges

How do you figure?

They both ha to comply with the same laws, had the same limits (can't sell between midnight and 8 am), had to have someone 21+ to ring up alcohol sales on the register, etc.

How is this apples/oranges?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    How do you figure?

They both ha to comply with the same laws, had the same limits (can't sell between midnight and 8 am), had to have someone 21+ to ring up alcohol sales on the register, etc.

How is this apples/oranges?

a permit for a package liquor store in indiana is a commody, unlike most states there is a far more expensive and restrictive permit process than you local Kroger.

Also, the way in which the stores are allowed to operate different state to state...did you know liquor stores in can't sell playing cards?

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    a permit for a package liquor store in indiana is a commody, unlike most states there is a far more expensive and restrictive permit process than you local Kroger.

Also, the way in which the stores are allowed to operate different state to state...did you know liquor stores in can't sell playing cards?

So, you're saying it's an apples/oranges thing because there are different laws for liquor stores vs. grocery stores?

That, then, reinforces my point: when liquor stores and grocery stores are playing by the same rules (as they did in Colorado... I could buy chips, limes, playing cards, beef jerky, etc. in a liquor store in Denver, if the owner choose to stock/sell such items), there's no conflict.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So, you're saying it's an apples/oranges thing because there are different laws for liquor stores vs. grocery stores?

That, then, reinforces my point: when liquor stores and grocery stores are playing by the same rules (as they did in Colorado... I could buy chips, limes, playing cards, beef jerky, etc. in a liquor store in Denver, if the owner choose to stock/sell such items), there's no conflict.

But see that's the problem here, Grocery/Convenience/Drug stores do not want to play by the same rules.

They want to operate under the cheaper to purchase Pharmacy License, they want to be able to continue to let underage clerks ring up the product and each one not have to hold a IABC Sales permit.

They want to be able to continue letting underage people be able to stroll down the aisle's and not have to resort to a separate area for sales. They want all the perks, but do not want to have the burden placed upon them that dedicated liquor stores are bestowed with.

The above is just a smidgen what differences there is.

You even out the playing field, sorta like buying a firearm @ Wal-Mart, they have to follow the same laws and regulations that a LGS does. No if's, and's or but's about it, then I might agree to an extent about changing the law.

Might I add, what everyone is seeing in the IndyStar about this matter, is being slanted the same way that the Gun Control is being reported, it is not factually correct.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Draconian?

It's down right tyrannical I can't buy a car from a dealer on Sunday too. Magna Carta Redux is just around the corner.

Well when Hoosier Vatican II comes about, I hope they'll remove other impediments to natural selection like having to put little kids in car seats and making drivers wear a seat belts.

Top Bottom