• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    People are going to make mistakes in the process of enforcing the law. By nature, those mistakes are going to be more grave than a mistake made during other processes.

Minimizing the number of laws being enforced will also serve to minimize the grave mistakes that take place.

It's all connected.

can't rep you

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    They say you should never support a law unless you would have it enforced against your grandma.

Why?

Every law, every warrant is an invitation to send a SWAT team after someone. Every single time that happens, a chance exists for destroying someone's life. You have to expect that government is going to be full of violence and incompetence.

So, we better be able to justify the reasons we think it is worth the risk.

Pills? Am I willing to risk killing grandma over pills? No way. That's what brought this on and it can't be ignored.

Someone who appreciates small government wants to minimize the number of excuses that the police can interject into people's lives. The Drug War instead gives tens of thousands of excuses to send police after people every year. And there are never a shortage of Drug War horror stories.
    I am amazed that you are all but ignoring that an INNOCENT person got charged and arrested in favor of rambling on about your political cause...

Do you think the innocent guy sans house/job/etc is more ticked off that he got hammered for having the wrong name or about the war on drugs?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I am amazed that you are all but ignoring that an INNOCENT person got charged and arrested in favor of rambling on about your political cause...

Do you think the innocent guy sans house/job/etc is more ticked off that he got hammered for having the wrong name or about the war on drugs?

Personally, I'd be more pissed about the war on drugs. People goof up. People make mistakes. Especially government bureaucrats. Asking the government to enforce something as vast and arbitrary as the drug war and then expecting them to not make mistakes is absurd. It would be like handing my 3 year old a 12-gauge and asking her to take care of an ant problem in the kitchen. ****s gonna get wrecked.

I'd give a good tongue lashing to whichever bureaucrat nitwit made the mistake, too. And hope that he/she got fired. But campaigning against government incompetence is.... redundant.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    People are going to make mistakes in the process of enforcing the law. By nature, those mistakes are going to be more grave than a mistake made during other processes.

Minimizing the number of laws being enforced will also serve to minimize the grave mistakes that take place.

It's all connected.

This is exactly where I was going with the questions regarding percentage of charged crimes that involved drug charges. Not the real crimes done in connection, but the actual drug charges (possession, intent to distribute, etc).

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Personally, I'd be more pissed about the war on drugs. People goof up. People make mistakes. Especially government bureaucrats. Asking the government to enforce something as vast and arbitrary as the drug war [STRIKE] and then expecting them to not make mistakes[/STRIKE] is absurd. It would be like handing my 3 year old a 12-gauge and asking her to take care of an ant problem in the kitchen. ****s gonna get wrecked.

I'd give a good tongue lashing to whichever bureaucrat nitwit made the mistake, too. And hope that he/she got fired. But campaigning against government incompetence is.... redundant.

+1

:)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Yes, sometimes the victims/survivors have things to say about the reasons they were targeted by the government. It is pretty short sighted to ignore the legal basis behind what happens.

If a guy bet on a football game and a SWAT team came and gunned him down in his home, would we call for more responsible government home invasions? Or would we ask why the hell that is illegal in the first place?

"One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results." Milton Friedman

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If a guy bet on a football game and a SWAT team came and gunned him down in his home, would we call for more responsible government home invasions? Or would we ask why the hell that is illegal in the first place?
    EXACTLY. None of this **** would be happening if people weren't so gung-ho to run other people's lives for them.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So, you think there have been no screwed up warrants for Robbery, Theft, or Burglary?
    I may be wrong, but hasn't the "frontal assault" style of policing come about pretty much entirely as a result of the war on some drugs? I mean, I'm sure there's other factors, but from my POV that's the major impetus.

ETA: Never mind, I thought we were in the other thread.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Mistakes happen in every aspect of policing. That is one of the reasons to drastically limit the opportunities for the government to enter our lives. If there is a person being victimized then most people will agree that intervention is acceptable. That is much less the case when the laws are about micromanaging people's lives.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Mistakes happen in every aspect of policing. That is one of the reasons to drastically limit the opportunities for the government to enter our lives. If there is a person being victimized then most people will agree that intervention is acceptable. That is much less the case when the laws are about micromanaging people's lives.
    Do you realize that for every drug arrest warrant issued there are probably 20+ issued for failure to appear in misdemeanor court?

IME arrest warrants for drug offenses (which normally only issue upon filing of a new charge where there isn't an outright arrest) make up a tiny percentage of warrants issued. Hell, there are vastly more civil body attachments open at any given time.

But let's keep ignoring that and that errors get made in those too... Instead let's focus on the political!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Do you realize that for every drug arrest warrant issued there are probably 20+ issued for failure to appear in misdemeanor court?

IME arrest warrants for drug offenses (which normally only issue upon filing of a new charge where there isn't an outright arrest) make up a tiny percentage of warrants issued. Hell, there are vastly more civil body attachments open at any given time.

But let's keep ignoring that and that errors get made in those too... Instead let's focus on the political!

In 2011 there were 1.5 million arrests for drug charges, according to FBI statistics. No small quantity. A whole lot of opportunities for abuse and downright murder.

We can discuss other regulations that shouldn't exist. I've never shied away from those discussions.

We've also discussed holding these people accountable for their mistakes.

I really have no idea what point you're trying to make.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

And one of the major reasons people are getting summoned to misdemeanor court is... drugs!

In 2011 there were 1.5 million arrests for drug charges, according to FBI statistics. No small quantity. A whole lot of opportunities for abuse and downright murder.

That number only counts federal and state-level arrests. It EXCLUDES all prisoners in county and city jails (untracked statistic). The overall number is estimated to be several times higher.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009

We can discuss other regulations that shouldn't exist. I've never shied away from those discussions.

We've also discussed holding these people accountable for their mistakes.

I really have no idea what point you're trying to make.

My point is that bad warrant service is a problem in itself regardless of what the warrant is for.

Legalizing drugs will NOT make it go away as a very small percentage of arrest warrants issued are for new drug charges.

Top Bottom