• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a bunch of issues with both Messer and Rokita, I think Braun's ads about them are spot on.

My problem with Braun is that I just don't see a way to square his current ads about how conservative he supposedly is with him voting Democrat until 2012. If he had run as a moderate Republican businessman that used to be a moderate Democrat in the Southern Indiana tradition, then I could see it, but that's not what he is doing. Plus, stories keep coming out about him using his political office to help his industry. I'm just not seeing him as an acceptable option at this point, seems more like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a bunch of issues with both Messer and Rokita, I think Braun's ads about them are spot on.

My problem with Braun is that I just don't see a way to square his current ads about how conservative he supposedly is with him voting Democrat until 2012. If he had run as a moderate Republican businessman that used to be a moderate Democrat in the Southern Indiana tradition, then I could see it, but that's not what he is doing. Plus, stories keep coming out about him using his political office to help his industry. I'm just not seeing him as an acceptable option at this point, seems more like a wolf in sheep's clothing.
    I was disappointed to hear about Braun's past too. When I first saw his ads, I thought he sounded good. Then again that's why politicians have ad people... to make them sound good. Seems like about all have some kind of skeleton in their closet and we're back to the usual process of choosing the lesser of two (or 3) evils.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    LIBERAL JOE, NO. Luke Messer NO. That leaves Braun & Rokita. Braun has better ads but he Voted Democrat until 2012. IF Braun could Convince Me that he's Not a Democrat that leaves Rokita. I'll keep watching and make the Decision after much Deliberation. Andy Horning (https://www.horning4indiana.com/) is my neighbor and a Good Guy. Reality, Good Guys Finish LAST. Marlin Stutzman was the 'Chosen' for Senator until he Offended the Indiana GOP Good Ole Boys. His GOP Cut Down gave us JOE :rolleyes:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I don't really trust Braun 100%, but I don't know that it's really accurate to say he voted Democrat. No one but Braun knows how he voted in every general election, all we know is that he chose to vote in the Democratic primary which could mean quite a number of different things depending on the make up of his district and it's electorate.

Has the one bothered to talk to the leadership of his local GOP? If he was a Democrat, I would think that people would have had something to say about it when he ran for the Statehouse.

When I met him, he seemed to really want to tell me how much he loved everything that is Trump, which makes me think he is more than a little susceptible to telling people what he thinks they want to hear.

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    TERM LIMITS FOR ALL ELECTED OFFICIALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only a limit on terms in office but total time in elected positions. Plus limit how long judges can serve, no jobs for life. And dare I say we have minimum age limits, how about maximum age you can be elected? This last election might have looked real different.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not only a limit on terms in office but total time in elected positions. Plus limit how long judges can serve, no jobs for life. And dare I say we have minimum age limits, how about maximum age you can be elected? This last election might have looked real different.
    No matter how perfect the "system", it will never be better than the people who make it up. Our government is a reflection of the society that it represents. Our current state is not a failure of the system, it is a failure of society. Term limits/campaign finance etc will not fix that. Any system can be gamed by a lazy selfish society.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm leaning towards Rokita but still not decided. I do like the not so subtle jab Rokita made at Pelosi and her comments about the tax cuts when he proposed the "Crumbs Act". Shows a biting sense of humor.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nope. He's an INGO member. A few years ago, when he was running for some office or another, he'd make appearances here. He doesn't like to answer questions.

I don't remember it quite that way, he did answer questions. What he wouldn't answer were Kirk's questions, Kirk was asking him questions that would be the equivalent of "Do you beat your wife more or less now than compared to 10 yrs ago" Answer yes or no. When he didn't answer Kirk yes or no, Kirk badgered him about avoiding the question and refusing to answer.

That is CORRECT. Braun was a Registered Democrat till 2012. He changed to GOP then because under Indiana law you can not run for a party till you voted for that party in the previous election. Another R.I.N.O. looking for a Cush Gov. job.

TERM LIMITS FOR ALL ELECTED OFFICIALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you find that he was a registered Dem? He did vote in the Dem primaries, there is a difference. Indiana doesn't register party affiliation. And can you tell me what the IC is for that law?

I don't really trust Braun 100%, but I don't know that it's really accurate to say he voted Democrat. No one but Braun knows how he voted in every general election, all we know is that he chose to vote in the Democratic primary which could mean quite a number of different things depending on the make up of his district and it's electorate.

From my understanding, it can mean two things. He either voted for a majority of Dems in the last general election, or he committed voter fraud. Now the reason he voted for a majority of Dems in the last general, could mean quite a number of different things.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I like that Braun is a relative outsider (he has held office before) but his resume seems thin regarding the 2A. Even in his ads he says almost nothing on the subject.
    Being career politicians, I have less trust for Messer and Rokita. Since the GOP and DNC leadership keep putting omnibus bills up for a vote, I'm not sure if I can use their voting record as an accurate barometer of where they stand on issues--or whether it even matters if legislators just go along with whatever the leadership puts in front of them.
    In any case, "Anybody but Donnelly" seems like an easy decision

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't remember it quite that way, he did answer questions. What he wouldn't answer were Kirk's questions, Kirk was asking him questions that would be the equivalent of "Do you beat your wife more or less now than compared to 10 yrs ago" Answer yes or no. When he didn't answer Kirk yes or no, Kirk badgered him about avoiding the question and refusing to answer.

I asked him honest and very specific questions and his answers were vague and elusive. He had no legislative agenda other than to vote "no". Even Libertarians ought to be able to espouse their plan/agenda and how they envision getting it accomplished. He either could not or would not tell me his.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    I know it is ideal to be able to discern which candidate is more aligned to your personal views on 2A and everything else that matters (immigration, taxes, pro-life, etc.), but I think the most important factor of all is who can best combat and defeat the incumbent Donnelly. The main prize is winning in November, and I may or may not like one vs. another, but what I am trying to figure out is which one has the savy and polish to go against what will be a heavily supported Donnelly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know it is ideal to be able to discern which candidate is more aligned to your personal views on 2A and everything else that matters (immigration, taxes, pro-life, etc.), but I think the most important factor of all is who can best combat and defeat the incumbent Donnelly. The main prize is winning in November, and I may or may not like one vs. another, but what I am trying to figure out is which one has the savy and polish to go against what will be a heavily supported Donnelly.

Unless we get stuck with a new Dick Luger. If that happens, we'll be stuck with him/her for decades.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I asked him honest and very specific questions and his answers were vague and elusive. He had no legislative agenda other than to vote "no". Even Libertarians ought to be able to espouse their plan/agenda and how they envision getting it accomplished. He either could not or would not tell me his.

Fair enough. But basically it sounds like he's a politician, how often can you get one of them to be specific?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Fair enough. But basically it sounds like he's a politician, how often can you get one of them to be specific?

Good question. Oh I believe Horning is a decent enough person. I follow his FB page and I agree with him on a vast majority of the things he posts about. But like it seems like with him as well as with many LP types, they're better at pontificating than they are about outlining plans for getting legislation done.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Talking with Horning got me my first and only warning on INGO...he only shows up here to shill for votes in hopeless election attempts then goes away and never talks about guns. INGO is useful to him only when he wants it to be...no interest apparently in IN gun owners until election time.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    Talking with Horning got me my first and only warning on INGO...he only shows up here to shill for votes in hopeless election attempts then goes away and never talks about guns. INGO is useful to him only when he wants it to be...no interest apparently in IN gun owners until election time.

I don't trust him at all and he will probably do something stupid like run as a libertarian....taking precious votes away from the republican nominee.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Other than the ads on tv, I know nothing about the candidates. Is Rokita as good as the ad is?

As good as the ad?!

Maybe you saw a different one, but the one I saw was nothing but overt nationalism couple with explicit love of Trump.

Top Bottom