• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smasherofall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    We can put a detective hold on a car for 72 hours if we need to process it for evidence, otherwise there's no hold.

Yeah, it sucks to pay a tow bill. It also sucks to pay a doctor because you got sick, a plumber because a pipe burst, etc. Such is life. Talk to your insurance company and see if they cover the tow.

Still not the point, but oh well, we tried.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    They have to do a “background check” on the person before they release the firearm. They have 2 civilian employees who do all the background checks and they claim that there is such a backlog that it takes 12+ months to get one done. I call BS.

NICS background checks take minutes. But IMPD won’t be able to use the system without an FFL. Employment background checks take only a few days tops. I’m sure most departments can do a criminal history check right from their laptops. Several years ago when I took a group of students to visit the Pentagon, it took 2 months for background checks on the whole group, and I’m sure those checks were more in depth. There is absolutely no reason for it to take 12 months except for obvious mishandling by the department. Hell, I could have a new suppressor in less time than that.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I can get a temporary security clearance background check done in a couple of weeks...an actual clearance in 6 months and I know that's a much more rigorous process. Lazy bureaucrats that can say no to getting out of doing their jobs will.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They have to do a “background check” on the person before they release the firearm. They have 2 civilian employees who do all the background checks and they claim that there is such a backlog that it takes 12+ months to get one done. I call BS.

Would the City have to respond to a FOIA request asking how many "background checks" are performed per day? Or even inquiring of their official SOP? Or both?

Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    NICS background checks take minutes. But IMPD won’t be able to use the system without an FFL. Employment background checks take only a few days tops. I’m sure most departments can do a criminal history check right from their laptops. Several years ago when I took a group of students to visit the Pentagon, it took 2 months for background checks on the whole group, and I’m sure those checks were more in depth. There is absolutely no reason for it to take 12 months except for obvious mishandling by the department. Hell, I could have a new suppressor in less time than that.

It would seem that the lengthy delay is done intentionally to keep citizens from getting back their firearms. There could be many reasons for this including profit and the belief that the less firearms out there the safer LE officers would be on the streets. The first is basically theft and the second, although not without a degree of logic, is not lawfully justifiable and I suspect a violation of the 4th Amendment. Something must be done about these injustices and if anything, brought out into the spotlight of public awareness.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    This is why Jeff Cooper advised people to own a copy of their carry weapon. Things take time, courts take time, wheels grind slowly. I don't think the Police are dragging their feet but it's no different than waiting for your tax check to arrive or Christmas as a child. It SEEMS to take forever.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is why Jeff Cooper advised people to own a copy of their carry weapon. Things take time, courts take time, wheels grind slowly. I don't think the Police are dragging their feet but it's no different than waiting for your tax check to arrive or Christmas as a child. It SEEMS to take forever.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Waiting a year or two years to get your property back isn't dragging their feet?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This would be different if the public servants involved in this could offer legitimate rules/guidelines/specifics on why property not tied to a crime is detained from being released to the owner. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bureaucrats can do this, because not enough Americans are willing to hold feet to the fire.
    In this case, well it's guns, so it's "okay".
    Yet if it was their car, they'd be upset.

Yet then it would be, "well, what can you do?"

The government is treated as being "big brother", or "father".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It would seem that the lengthy delay is done intentionally to keep citizens from getting back their firearms. There could be many reasons for this including profit and the belief that the less firearms out there the safer LE officers would be on the streets. The first is basically theft and the second, although not without a degree of logic, is not lawfully justifiable and I suspect a violation of the 4th Amendment. Something must be done about these injustices and if anything, brought out into the spotlight of public awareness.

It may seem that way, but honestly it isn't. In many cases, it's up to the officer to see it released. If he doesn't set himself a reminder, after the conclusion of a case, then he (or she) is most certainly going to forget it. At the beginning of the next year, the property room (at least at CPD) would send you pages and pages of property logged in under your name, and the officer had to decide if the property was to be released to the owner (depending on the status of a case). Some officers complete them promptly, some just don't make the time, and wait until they get a nasty gram from the property room over something that might have been held for a few years. Once the officer allows for the item to be "released," then it goes to back of the line with every other officer's items that have approved to be released. When you're dealing with a large PD, you can imagine that it may take a good amount of time before an owner is called to pick up their item.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This would be different if the public servants involved in this could offer legitimate rules/guidelines/specifics on why property not tied to a crime is detained from being released to the owner. :dunno:

Why don't you call the Property Room and ask? The "public servants" involved in this thread have nothing to do with the policy in place, didn't assist in writing or enacting it, and don't agree with it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why don't you call the Property Room and ask? The "public servants" involved in this thread have nothing to do with the policy in place, didn't assist in writing or enacting it, and don't agree with it.

Good suggestion!

Don't you think that call might come closer to getting an answer coming from you though?

The Property Room's specific written policies would be great posted right here.

Thank you!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I asked the firearms branch that very question yesterday. In addition to processing returns of recovered guns, they are responsible for the entire 17k+ inventory of guns that come and go through our property room each year. There are three civilians who work in there full time. That's it. Combine the volume with all the bureaucracy involved and it's easy to see why things move at a snail's pace. The gun I was checking on yesterday has been in the process of getting back to it's owner for 12+months now. The only holdup now is the recovering Officer signing the disposition form authorizing it's release. Their records show the form has been sent to the Officer twice and never returned. We are supposed to have 14 days to return those forms..... Like I said, bureaucracy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I asked the firearms branch that very question yesterday. In addition to processing returns of recovered guns, they are responsible for the entire 17k+ inventory of guns that come and go through our property room each year. There are three civilians who work in there full time. That's it. Combine the volume with all the bureaucracy involved and it's easy to see why things move at a snail's pace. The gun I was checking on yesterday has been in the process of getting back to it's owner for 12+months now. The only holdup now is the recovering Officer signing the disposition form authorizing it's release. Their records show the form has been sent to the Officer twice and never returned. We are supposed to have 14 days to return those forms..... Like I said, bureaucracy.

Thank you for the pertinent information!

Wonder how much those civilian positions pay? I think one other motivated worker and myself could process 17K guns a year. That only translates to 4.5 an hour. We could do that, save the department some money and solve a whole lot of the department's public discourse. Maybe net a bonus, for making our numbers???

Now, how are we going to motivate the recovering officers to do their jobs?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thank you for the pertinent information!

Wonder how much those civilian positions pay? I think one other motivated worker and myself could process 17K guns a year. That only translates to 4.5 an hour. We could do that, save the department some money and solve a whole lot of the department's public discourse. Maybe net a bonus, for making our numbers???

Now, how are we going to motivate the recovering officers to do their jobs?

Last year my pile of disposition forms was about 2" thick and numbered close to 300. That's 300 pieces of evidence I had to sign off to either keep, destroy or return to owner. To make that decision, an Officer has to look up the associated case and determine if it was decided or not, then what the outcome was, then if there's any current appeals. It took me several months to wade through my property forms, working in any down time I managed to come by. It is a tedious process to say the least.

Top Bottom