• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No tax dollars at all are used for this suit then?

I'm assuming contingency because if the model is the tobacco lawsuits, there are a few lawyers who became multi-millionaires from the settlement, a couple, possibly even billionaires. Hourly work doesn't get you that. Even assuming contingency, likely costs of litigation would be billed to the city along the way. These include, essentially, everything expended on the lawsuit, but not attorney fees.

...but it depends on how you look at it. Assuming that the city has been damaged in some way by these manufacturers and has had to expend funds to deal with the crisis, the lawsuit, ostensibly, would be to recoup those damages....which were paid for by tax dollars. In other words, the money is already gone. Since government never has any money of its own, no new taxpayer money may be spent, but anything recovered is really the taxpayer's money...that they will never see.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So it's the pharma companies fault for making the drugs?

No, it's their fault for failing to take reasonable precautions. This is not a sudden problem, and it's not a decision that was made overnight or even solely by this administration.

The city has tried to work with pharmacies, etc. for years without a law suit or new legislation. Asking for things like jump-proof counters in pharmacies as just one small example. The companies have not been responsive. IMO, because it's cheaper to lose the pills than to work to prevent robberies and thefts. The result is increased crime, overdoses, funding of organized crime, etc. Then your tax dollars get to pay for all that mess while the pharmaceutical companies shrug their shoulders.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wonder if they will sue Lilly? That would be a clash of the titans in the economic/political power in Indy. About like suing the Simons.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Tobacco lawsuit 2.0!

we promise to only spend the money on healthcare and education again like last time :rofl:

Yup.

This is not about people jumping counters to steal pills or overdosing on anything. This is about re-routing the flow of money, just like the tobacco settlement.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, it's their fault for failing to take reasonable precautions. This is not a sudden problem, and it's not a decision that was made overnight or even solely by this administration.

The city has tried to work with pharmacies, etc. for years without a law suit or new legislation. Asking for things like jump-proof counters in pharmacies as just one small example. The companies have not been responsive. IMO, because it's cheaper to lose the pills than to work to prevent robberies and thefts. The result is increased crime, overdoses, funding of organized crime, etc. Then your tax dollars get to pay for all that mess while the pharmaceutical companies shrug their shoulders.
    Are they suing the pharmacy, or the manufacturer?

From the sound of it, they are annoyed that the manufacturer doesn't say "this is addictive" enough times. Which is strange, because a) it is plastered all over every piece of paper you get, and b) addicts don't read that stuff anyway.

Example:
    https://www.oxycontin.com/patient/index.html
    One sentence about what the drug is for. The rest of the page describing all of the ways it will kill you.

Side note: do druggies really jump the counter so much that it actually contributes to the epidemic? I thought narcotics and such were locked up in the back, anyway?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Are we talking about the pharma companies that make the drugs, or the end point retailers? Suing the manufacturers is not going to do anything to change how pharmacies handle their security, unless I am missing something I don't know about the pharma industry.

And I don't know the stats, but I'm betting that pharmacy robberies are not the major factor in the widespread proliferation of these drugs. Seems that over-prescribing would be the big culprit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe this is stinky shoe's way of extorting campaign cash from potential big donors while paying off campaign debts to the law firm.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe this is stinky shoe's way of extorting campaign cash from potential big donors while paying off campaign debts to the law firm.

I would guess that the firm came to him and sold him on filing suit...but that's just pure speculation. No inside information, just spitballin'.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are we talking about the pharma companies that make the drugs, or the end point retailers? Suing the manufacturers is not going to do anything to change how pharmacies handle their security, unless I am missing something I don't know about the pharma industry.

And I don't know the stats, but I'm betting that pharmacy robberies are not the major factor in the widespread proliferation of these drugs. Seems that over-prescribing would be the big culprit.

The manufacturers are beyond my pay grade. Efforts to work with distributors and retail is all I know anything about.

...and you'd be surprised on the pharmacy robbery end. We've tamped it down quite a bit, but we lead the nation in pharmacy robberies and you can get thousands to tens of thousands of pills per hit, two to three hits per day...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well they exist because prescribing laws made FP docs stop doing it. That would be a bit disingenuous to then sue them for doing what they do.

how about not suing anyone and just moving forward with evidence-based pain management regimens that limit log-term opioids to very few conditions? Also open up MJ and CBD as options.

Why not go after the "pain clinics" that have been over prescribing for years?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well they exist because prescribing laws made FP docs stop doing it. That would be a bit disingenuous to then sue them for doing what they do.

how about not suing anyone and just moving forward with evidence-based pain management regimens that limit log-term opioids to very few conditions? Also open up MJ and CBD as options.

OK, you're going to have to explain to me how that gets plaintiff's lawyers and politicians money.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Maybe after we ban guns, we can ban things like heroin, meth, oxy, etc. Or at least heavily regulate them. Ya know, so they aren't abused.:coffee:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That we know of so far .

Ok sure, maybe he was buying stuff off the street. Also possible he was huffing cooking spray. Gotta sue those manufacturers too just in case.

My money is on this info being from the state controlled substance tracking website using pharmacy data.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IMPD not enforcing drug laws: If, as the news report states, we have too many prescriptions for opioids in Indianapolis, then, many of those prescriptions must be written to supply addicts with recreational drugs and not written for a legitimate medical need. Those prescribers should be arrested and prosecuted.
    Apparently, IMPD and the prosecutor are not doing this.
    So, rather than go after the criminals misusing the product, they are going after the manufacturer of the product.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have to wonder if big pharma will just pick up the phone, call the swamp and demand immunity.

Top Bottom