• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A colleague and good friend of mine had his mother harping on him to NEVER take any narcotic for pain relief, because she was worried about addiction. His injury: HE WAS SHOT, with one round passing through his side and another blowing out his elbow. The attitudes like your FIL's are widespread and persistent, and do not help.

well, the bullet wasn't in there anymore, so what was causing the pain? I learned from westerns that once you dive in and get the bullet out people do much better, if they survive your invasive search for an inanimate object

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    no, I think her temp was around 98.3, but she normally runs 97.4 so that's a fever for her. You show me the attractive narcotic dependent patient who has traveled the country seeking help for migraines and I'll hand you excaliber.

hough... is that a valid argument in med mal cases, that we missed a "fever" of 98.6 because they normally run 97.2? :rofl:

It's not an invalid argument (I could work with it)...but I assume the issue isn't necessarily "fever", but infection...and I would ask if there were other signs...to which you will answer "no" and ensure that the records agree...ensure that the records agree. Are we clear?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    well, the bullet wasn't in there anymore, so what was causing the pain? I learned from westerns that once you dive in and get the bullet out people do much better, if they survive your invasive search for an inanimate object

You're right! Since both rounds went through the victim, given the examples shown in the westerns, he should have been just fine. No need for for the incredibly invasive search with the dirty, unsterilized gigantic Bowie knife!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You're right! Since both rounds went through the victim, given the examples shown in the westerns, he should have been just fine. No need for for the incredibly invasive search with the dirty, unsterilized gigantic Bowie knife!

Everyone knows you dribble whiskey on the knife.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    here's a fun tidbit: methadone clinics need to have you test positive for opioids before they can begin therapy for your addiction.

We had a patient who was buying methadone on the street and it does not flag urine drug screens positive for opioids so they couldn't get him started. They told him to go out and buy a few Percocet, take those, then come back and be tested so they could treat him. What a system.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    here's a fun tidbit: methadone clinics need to have you test positive for opioids before they can begin therapy for your addiction.

We had a patient who was buying methadone on the street and it does not flag urine drug screens positive for opioids so they couldn't get him started. They told him to go out and buy a few Percocet, take those, then come back and be tested so they could treat him. What a system.

So, is there a black market for methadone too?
    Must be a reason they do not give it to just anyone.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, is there a black market for methadone too?
    Must be a reason they do not give it to just anyone.

oh yeah. Heck, there's a black market for antibiotics to treat the skin infections you get from injecting.

I see people on methadone or suboxone who simply skip a day or two so they can shoot heroin, then go back on the treatment meds.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I lost 2 brothers to opiate use. They are both still alive, but they are lost.
    Watching the progression of it all it did not seem to be such a big deal, back when we would get together often, especially in the summer time. I knew something was wrong, but not sure what.
    Now I see them once a year at best, moms at Christmas. When you do not see them for a while and then see what has changed with them over a year, it is sad.

Top Bottom