• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    This year at the fair, it was the year of the farmer. This year at the indy 1500, it was the year of the fake microtech ultratech. I seen multiple booths selling these "lifetime waranty" OTF's. I even seen some fake halo's. I personally wouldn't buy one, but i seen people snatching them up. I'm just wondering how many break before they get home? Anyone willing to admit they bought one and willing to give a review?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They are a different brand, just copies of microtechs design. They don't brand them as microtech but its obvious that is who they copied the design from

That's different from counterfeits that are sold as actual Microtech (or other brands). Imitation is a far cry from fraud.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    What are they branded as?

Design copyrights get kind of tricky. Like when Apple tried to copyright the rectangle. :n00b:

Or when Smith copied the glock. Or when Chrysler made a car that looked like a Bentley. From a distance.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They are a different brand, just copies of microtechs design. They don't brand them as microtech but its obvious that is who they copied the design from

Gotcha. Counterfeits can be harder to detect unless you're pretty knowledgable about what you're looking at.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The number of fakes, counterfeits, knockoffs and knives that are being misrepresented has exploded in the knife world. I see this just about every weekend at the gun and knife shows I attend. Companies like Ravencrest, World Class Blades, and others will tell you that their products or the parts, are USA made, when in fact they are China made knives with China made parts. Basically what these companies do is buy cheap China made knives, then add their logo and possibly a few other cosmetic details to the knife, and then they are less than honest (misrepresenting) about what they are selling. I call this sales tactic “re-branding to misrepresent”. Usually the prices on these re-branded knives can be three to five times more than what you can buy them for before they have been re-branded. The internet is no different, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of companies/people re-branding cheap knives, and then misrepresenting what they really are.

Here is a an example of where to buy these fakes on line Microtech - Wholesale High Quality Microtech Pocket Knife | DHgate Remember these prices are what anyone can buy these fakes, counterfeits, and knockoff for. As a dealer buying in large quantities, the prices are much cheaper.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I would be curious to hear a review of the knock offs. I saw a knife that looked just like my microtech utx70 at the shipshe show. Only it was like $25 instead of $200+. It did look a little cheaper and i didnt even open the blade. My fiance pointed it out and said isnt that just like yours, to which i responded yeah except a crappy fake, and the guy gives me a crappy look as if im the one selling crappy knives... i guess the most annoying part is having to explain why i have to pay so much for something that looks the same. She knows i buy once, cry once though. weather it be knives or guns or tools or whatever.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I worded that wrong, by fakes i was meaning imitations not counterfeits.

Another word would be 'clones'. I've bought some clones from China and I have not had any problems with them at all. They have good steel, work very well, and at a fraction of the costs. I'm not in a profession that requires a genuine Microtech Whalesharp at $500.00 to fill the bill and bought a clone for $66.00 that works just fine for what I need. Saw several YouTube videos that showed the difference and still feel better about the clone.

One odd thing, nobody makes an original Moses Browning 1911 today and all the 1911s on the market are clones, soooo.... you understand.

I'm not trying to insult anyone or anything like that, it's just the world we live in, that's all.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Another word would be 'clones'. I've bought some clones from China and I have not had any problems with them at all. They have good steel, work very well, and at a fraction of the costs. I'm not in a profession that requires a genuine Microtech Whalesharp at $500.00 to fill the bill and bought a clone for $66.00 that works just fine for what I need. Saw several YouTube videos that showed the difference and still feel better about the clone.

One odd thing, nobody makes an original Moses Browning 1911 today and all the 1911s on the market are clones, soooo.... you understand.

Except that John Moses Browning never actually manufactured the 1911, the design is owned by Colt so every colt made is a JMB gun and Colt prides itself on following the original schematics and tolerances very very closely. Now then that particular misconception has been dealt with on to the topic of the fakes.

If you bought a Microtech Whaleshark "clone" and it is marked Microtech then it's an illegal fake just saying. Not super surprised the fakes are as popular as they are, not everyone can appreciate the attention to detail and materials that go into a knife of microtechs caliber. Me personally I would rather support an American business with my money and not some Chinese thieves who profit off of other people hard work and ingenuity.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Dean, Colt, nor anybody else, makes an original Moses Browning design 1911 today. Please check your history, the closest you will find is a 1911A1, not a Browning original, sorry.

A lot of clones coming out of China are very well made https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv1-&p=youtube whaleshark clone&type= , the Whaleshark included (the name Microtech is not on the knife). I sometimes use it in farm work and it has done very, very well. Spyderco, Buck, and others has a lot of their knives made in China and the phone or computer you are using is China made, again sorry.

It's just the world we live in.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I would much rather have a real microtech halo v, but anytime I seem to find one I don't have the cash for it, and vice versa, $500 dollars for a knife, however close it may be to the value of some of my knives already, is a large chunk of change without the availability, so if I can get a clone to play with for $60 bucks until I can get a real one, than I don't see the harm

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Nothing positive comes from counterfeits, fakes, clones, or copies whether they are marked with a company's name/logo or not. The fact that the they (China) strive to manufacture knives that look exactly like the real deal is an obvious, and blatant attempt to cash in on someone else's design and hard work. Counterfeits, fakes, and clones devalue the “real” designer/manufacturer brand, and are not good for the knife community as a whole. IMO, people that purchase these are no better than the people that manufacture them, because they are supporting businesses that are less than ethical in their practices, and taking away from designers/manufacturers that actually have the ingenuity, and skills to design and manufacture.​

Last edited:
    Top Bottom