• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Let me start with some appreciation, at least churchmouse understands.

Second: From Dean Crail and he is at least part accurate.
    1) I bought a no name knife that resembles a Microtech Whale Shark that is a very well made clone. The grip is orange and there is no name or markings on the knife and still is high quality. I also don't try to pass it off as original.
    2) Some Spydercos are made in China, for example, Tenacious, Persistence and all others in that low budget line are China made. These are solid knives made overseas for $100.00 and less bought here in the US. Some of Buck's lower end are made in China. Just read some reviews. That is just to mention two. They are legitimate.

On the high end knives made here like Microtech, where is the steel coming from? Very little steel is produced
    in the US anymore because of all the government regulations put on the companies here. Same would apply to other parts of the knife, is it all US original? Again, the same would apply to firearms, is all the steel and parts of the firearms US made or how about the modifications a lot of people make? Are you sure and how can you be?

My point is simple, I buy and use what works for me, I like Glocks best, and if that upsets some people I just don't care at my age anymore. So be it. Thanks to all for hearing me out.

1.) I do not care what you intend to do with the knife, the fact of the matter is people who do not know any better have been suckered by people selling fakes as the real deal. Most custom Whalesharks did not have any marking on them anyways so the marking issue is moot. My major concern as stated above is that people who are not really familiar with the products can be easily fooled by these fakes. The Fake will never be able to touch the Microtechs quality wise as well they are some of the best folders ever made IMHO.

2.) On the topic of Chinese made knives, they do not bother me as long as they are marked as such and not trying to rip off other peoples designs through stealing. I have never stated that there is anything wrong with legitimate Chinese knives such as the value Spyderco, and Kershaw lines or even the "high end production" stuff currently made by Reate. Honestly the Chinese Spydercos and whatnot are a good thing for the companies because they help turn people on to knife brands and help get people into the hobby.

3.) Microtech uses for the most part ELMAX steel made by Uddeholm in Sweden its a kick ass steel, and in the past they used the Crucible S series of steels made by Crucible in New York. And yes everything else on Microtechs is USA made, they even custom mill all of their own proprietary hardware in house at the factory. Strider I know 100% are sourced and made in the USA as well.

To state again the basic key points, I care that the fakes hurt the original makers reputation and can fool people into buying them accidentally. I do not care about other legitimate Chinese made knives such as Kershaw and Spyderco. No one cares about the "quality" of the fake, its the fact the knife is a direct copy of a popular model made by Microtech that the thieves just ripped off. Hope this was simple enough to understand.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    1.) I do not care what you intend to do with the knife, the fact of the matter is people who do not know any better have been suckered by people selling fakes as the real deal. Most custom Whalesharks did not have any marking on them anyways so the marking issue is moot. My major concern as stated above is that people who are not really familiar with the products can be easily fooled by these fakes. The Fake will never be able to touch the Microtechs quality wise as well they are some of the best folders ever made IMHO.

2.) On the topic of Chinese made knives, they do not bother me as long as they are marked as such and not trying to rip off other peoples designs through stealing. I have never stated that there is anything wrong with legitimate Chinese knives such as the value Spyderco, and Kershaw lines or even the "high end production" stuff currently made by Reate. Honestly the Chinese Spydercos and whatnot are a good thing for the companies because they help turn people on to knife brands and help get people into the hobby.

3.) Microtech uses for the most part ELMAX steel made by Uddeholm in Sweden its a kick ass steel, and in the past they used the Crucible S series of steels made by Crucible in New York. And yes everything else on Microtechs is USA made, they even custom mill all of their own proprietary hardware in house at the factory. Strider I know 100% are sourced and made in the USA as well.

To state again the basic key points, I care that the fakes hurt the original makers reputation and can fool people into buying them accidentally. I do not care about other legitimate Chinese made knives such as Kershaw and Spyderco. No one cares about the "quality" of the fake, its the fact the knife is a direct copy of a popular model made by Microtech that the thieves just ripped off. Hope this was simple enough to understand.

Also said by Deal Crail Quote "The Chinese Counterfiters have upped their game......
    UPDATE ! Microtech expert & able to spot a fake vs a real one? | The Outdoors Trader (and the members there didn't even know if it was fake or not too!) "

You don't seem to be able to make up your mind. I did not say that the quality was the same, I said that the clone I bought was a very good knife and there are some different points compared to the real deal. After the abuse that the clone I bought has been put through and the edge it holds I'm very pleased.

I was also sure the Microtech was not 100% US made, as you said so yourself.

I don't mind a debate, but not a fan of circular thinking. If you want we can get together and we can look at the differences. I did before I bought the clone so I would know what I was buying and I'm in no way disappointed.

Some people don't mind spending $4000.00 on a pistol or $2000.00 on a knife and I'm glad for them, but that is not in my wheelhouse. I would love to meet and discuss it with you over a meal or something similar. :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Also said by Deal Crail Quote "The Chinese Counterfiters have upped their game......
    UPDATE ! Microtech expert & able to spot a fake vs a real one? | The Outdoors Trader (and the members there didn't even know if it was fake or not too!) "

You don't seem to be able to make up your mind. I did not say that the quality was the same, I said that the clone I bought was a very good knife and there are some different points compared to the real deal. After the abuse that the clone I bought has been put through and the edge it holds I'm very pleased.

I was also sure the Microtech was not 100% US made, as you said so yourself.

I don't mind a debate, but not a fan of circular thinking. If you want we can get together and we can look at the differences. I did before I bought the clone so I would know what I was buying and I'm in no way disappointed.

Some people don't mind spending $4000.00 on a pistol or $2000.00 on a knife and I'm glad for them, but that is not in my wheelhouse. I would love to meet and discuss it with you over a meal or something similar. :)

This is the third time that I have had to point out in this thread/discussion, that it's not about where the item is being manufactured, and it's not about buying USA products. This discussion is about fakes, counterfeits, and clones that are damaging the knife world. The blatant attempt of these thieves who use someone else's design and hard work to profit off of it is the issue. Your attempt to make it an “USA made” issue to justify buying fakes, clones, and counterfeits is baseless.

“Microtech not 100% US made”???....seriously? You will stand alone, as nobody in the knife world would agree with you on this. Again, your attempt in deflecting the discussion off of the real issue has no merit.....your grasping at straws and splitting hairs trying to support your argument. Basically what you are saying is, if the raw material didn't come from the US, then it's not a US made product. With that mentality, it means, companies, like Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, and many others that use raw materials that don't come from the USA, are not 100% US made......BS. I'm about sure that if this is the case, companies that are stating "USA Made", and are not, would have the FTC coming down hard on them.......again you stand alone.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I just bought a Gerber "Bear Grylls" folder at Walmart for $16.95 and it's every bit as good (if not better) than a Microtech or any other multi-hundred dollar blades.

Just want to see if it will actually make a sound if Brad and Dean's heads simultaneously explode.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I read through this thread, every post, and came to the conclusion that I would be incredibly unwise to pay more than $30 for a knife. I can buy, use, abuse, and lose a batch of knives for the price of one the original high-priced blades. Bill Cosby, jerk that he was/is, used to joke that he would take out a disobedient child and "make another just like" the kid. I see that as a wise course in knife selection.

The thread indicates even expert, judicious shoppers can be fooled by the fakes, and many of the fakes perform well over the long haul. Being only a casual knife user, it would be a long time before I could master the difference between real and fake. It is not as simple as looking for the JM stamp on a Marlin barrel to authenticate/separate the real from the counterfeit or junk with the same name.

So, next time I need a blade to replace my latest contribution to our beloved TSA personnel I will just head back to Walmart. Cheap; functional; easily replaced. No great problem when it breaks, dulls, rusts, or disappears with all those missing socks, either. :twocents:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I read through this thread, every post, and came to the conclusion that I would be incredibly unwise to pay more than $30 for a knife. I can buy, use, abuse, and lose a batch of knives for the price of one the original high-priced blades. Bill Cosby, jerk that he was/is, used to joke that he would take out a disobedient child and "make another just like" the kid. I see that as a wise course in knife selection.

The thread indicates even expert, judicious shoppers can be fooled by the fakes, and many of the fakes perform well over the long haul. Being only a casual knife user, it would be a long time before I could master the difference between real and fake. It is not as simple as looking for the JM stamp on a Marlin barrel to authenticate/separate the real from the counterfeit or junk with the same name.

So, next time I need a blade to replace my latest contribution to our beloved TSA personnel I will just head back to Walmart. Cheap; functional; easily replaced. No great problem when it breaks, dulls, rusts, or disappears with all those missing socks, either. :twocents:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Fan of Hi Points too I assume?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    This is the third time that I have had to point out in this thread/discussion, that it's not about where the item is being manufactured, and it's not about buying USA products. This discussion is about fakes, counterfeits, and clones that are damaging the knife world. The blatant attempt of these thieves who use someone else's design and hard work to profit off of it is the issue. Your attempt to make it an “USA made” issue to justify buying fakes, clones, and counterfeits is baseless.

“Microtech not 100% US made”???....seriously? You will stand alone, as nobody in the knife world would agree with you on this. Again, your attempt in deflecting the discussion off of the real issue has no merit.....your grasping at straws and splitting hairs trying to support your argument. Basically what you are saying is, if the raw material didn't come from the US, then it's not a US made product. With that mentality, it means, companies, like Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, Chris Reeve, and many others that use raw materials that don't come from the USA, are not 100% US made......BS. I'm about sure that if this is the case, companies that are stating "USA Made", and are not, would have the FTC coming down hard on them.......again you stand alone.

Stand alone? Really not hard when you are right.

As to what I buy, I explained my reasons and some of the differences in the knife itself. I don't pass it off as authentic and would never pay the prices the high end demands (which I have also said several times now) so I hurt no one. Like I said, at my age I don't care and now have another from the same vender on the way to keep in the truck. Flame suit is on and you and others can rage on. To each his/her own. :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

The buck was a "good" fake, but if you look at the Microtech is was very very wrong no real Microtech has the slider on the front side of the handle they are always on the side. Getting back to the level of closeness the thieves are able to replicate is a VERY VERY bad thing, that will make it so even people who are fairly knowledgeable are suckered into buying a fake instead of the real deal. Because while the knives may look similar the quality of the materials and fit/finish will never be the same. In the end no matter how it works out someone always gets screwed when fakes are involved but that's just my two cents.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

I agree. In fact, Im going to stop carrying my glock. You know in case it gets lost or damaged. Im going to just start carrying a stick, or a pocket full of rocks. They can still help defend myself, and cheap. Glad I read this thread. It sure is going to save me a lot of money.

Cant believe I own a Strider when I could have got the same thing at Walmart! To the classifieds it goes!

(Insert purple as needed.)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I agree. In fact, Im going to stop carrying my glock. You know in case it gets lost or damaged. Im going to just start carrying a stick, or a pocket full of rocks. They can still help defend myself, and cheap. Glad I read this thread. It sure is going to save me a lot of money.

Cant believe I own a Strider when I could have got the same thing at Walmart! To the classifieds it goes!

(Insert purple as needed.)

Careful bringing a Glock into this thread. The ones who a thousand one a knife (yeah, I don't get it either) are the ones who will spend thousands on a 1911. :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Careful bringing a Glock into this thread. The ones who a thousand one a knife (yeah, I don't get it either) are the ones who will spend thousands on a 1911. :)

DONT JUDGE ME!!!!!!!!!
    0vutbdzh.jpg

Top Bottom