• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm sure there'll be more details come out. If it's true that she was carjacked and he ran out after with a gun then he set himself up for this.

I hope the guy makes it and I hope he turns down the lawyers who'll be contacting him very soon.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'm sure there'll be more details come out. If it's true that she was carjacked and he ran out after with a gun then he set himself up for this.

I hope the guy makes it and I hope he turns down the lawyers who'll be contacting him very soon.

He made an idiot choice to not drop the gun and it got him shot. Who's not to say he was panicking and didn't notice the sirens? I'm not saying it's 100% the cops fault, this guy set himself up to get shot, but they shouldn't have shot because he had a gun in hand. I don't know all the details, but to assume he shouldn't sue them is not right...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Something isn't adding up here. It takes a while for the police to show up...by the time they get there isn't the perp already gone? The report says he's still at large - meaning he's no where to be found. So WHY was this guy still outside and handling his firearm? I'm not second guessing the poor guy because I wasn't there and know little to nothing about the situation. It seems, from the information given, by this time his firearm should have been reholstered and he inside consoling his wife by then.

Sometimes we are across the street, or one block away when a run comes out. It doesn't always take a long time to arrive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Unfortunate. This guy is more than likely going to get a payday.... well, if he lives.

From what I am told about how things are done down there, I think you're probably right. However, there are a lot of facts that still haven't seen the light yet.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He made an idiot choice to not drop the gun and it got him shot. Who's not to say he was panicking and didn't notice the sirens? I'm not saying it's 100% the cops fault, this guy set himself up to get shot, but they shouldn't have shot because he had a gun in hand. I don't know all the details, but to assume he shouldn't sue them is not right...

Then why assume he was shot just because he had a gun in his hand?

I know absolutely nothing about this case. I'm off work and wasn't aware it happened until seeing this thread. So, nothing I say is relevant to this particular incident and is speaking in generalities only.

Anyway, this has come up on INGO multiple times about not dropping the gun when ordered to by police. I've seen many posters say they wouldn't do it for various reasons. This is why you do. Even plain clothes/off duty police officers are trained to comply and drop the gun. You know why? Because the uniform guy arriving doesn't know what you know by some magical telepathy. You have NO IDEA what the cop was told by dispatch, what description he has, etc. I've *been* the plain clothes guy on a hot scene, and I try to get on the radio and put out my own description prior to arrival if possible just for this reason. I don't want to be watching a house with a burglary suspect inside and another officer sees a creeper with a shotgun behind a tree watching another cop on the corner of the house...

If a cop is looking for an armed robber, sees a person with a gun in the area, and that person is non-compliant or turns toward the officer with the gun to "explain the situation", what do you expect? What would YOU do if an unknown contact turns toward you with a gun while you were looking for someone that just carjacked your wife? Assume he's another good guy trying to help? Comply with commands, get it sorted out when guns are pointed at people.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From what I am told about how things are done down there, I think you're probably right. However, there are a lot of facts that still haven't seen the light yet.

Yeah, I'm sure there are tons of things that we don't know about. But general rule of thumb, in the govt injures you, and you aren't doing anything wrong (and stupid isn't the same thing), you get paid.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyway, this has come up on INGO multiple times about not dropping the gun when ordered to by police. I've seen many posters say they wouldn't do it for various reasons. This is why you do. Even plain clothes/off duty police officers are trained to comply and drop the gun. You know why? Because the uniform guy arriving doesn't know what you know by some magical telepathy.

Cops don't have magical Jedi powers that allow for mind reading?

Boy, are there going to be some disappointed judges across Indiana when they learn this!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    They see me rolling, they hating.

4vst1c.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Cops don't have magical Jedi powers that allow for mind reading?

Boy, are there going to be some disappointed judges across Indiana when they learn this!

Well, we still gotta hear how this story plays out. Was the homeowner aware of the police presence and not complying, or was it a case of somebody yelling "police, drop your gun!" guy turns around with gun still in hand, and is then dropped. Think about that for a moment, in an excited state, someone behind you yells "Police" and orders you to drop your weapon. Would people just drop their weapon w/o confirming it actually is the police... hell would they even be thinking in a sound state, after just being the victim of a violent crime? This is just me thinking aloud, but there a number of avenues this instance could have played out.... but I'm not so quick to condemn the officer, nor the homeowner. Sometimes everyone does everything right, and it still ends up a **** sandwich.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From the WTHR website, quote from homeowner's niece:
    "He called the police. He is the one who called the police and he opened up his garage and he just made eye contact and immediately he got shot. No warning, no nothing," said Kamaria Howard, the victim's niece.

Not vouching for the veracity (obviously) but it does provide a possible detail.

ETA:
    BTW, this scenario also potentially plays out badly for LEOs. Armed homeowner sees dude walking around his darkened windows, homeowner says, "Stop!" then sees dude reach for a weapon....

Just to paraphrase KF's mantra, investments in exterior lighting pay off huge dividends.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I hope he wasn't in his garage when he was shot.

I'll continue to withhold judgment, even if that's true. It sounds like it was originally dispatched as a residential robbery (paraphrasing). In which case, first on the scene sees an armed guy in a garage, small logic skip to think it was the perp.

And just because niece didn't hear anything doesn't mean officer wasn't saying anything.

(Wait. I think there are too many negatives in that sentence, but you get the idea.)

Top Bottom