• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While I agree with the notion that "dude with a gun" was a bigger factor than race, I do take exception to the notion that CPD - or anyone in Carmel - would react differently based on the race of the guy with a gun. In fact, I think up here, people (including LEOs) would be less trigger happy* because there's just fewer shooting incidents.

Now, my purpleness perception calibration has been off all day today, so I apologize if there was purplishness involved.

*Not saying IMPD shooter was trigger happy, just saying a CPD dude would be less likely to shoot than IMPD dude because IMPD dudes generally get shot at or are in the vicinity of shooting with MUCH more regularity than CPD dudes.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    While I agree with the notion that "dude with a gun" was a bigger factor than race, I do take exception to the notion that CPD - or anyone in Carmel - would react differently based on the race of the guy with a gun. In fact, I think up here, people (including LEOs) would be less trigger happy* because there's just fewer shooting incidents.

Now, my purpleness perception calibration has been off all day today, so I apologize if there was purplishness involved.

*Not saying IMPD shooter was trigger happy, just saying a CPD dude would be less likely to shoot than IMPD dude because IMPD dudes generally get shot at or are in the vicinity of shooting with MUCH more regularity than CPD dudes.

I do typically add the "add purple where needed" and this is a time where I didn't think it was needed... I shall add that to correct this small issue. I thought the purpley implications were strong enough on their own. Then again, typed words are hard to interpret implied meanings.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not convinced that race was ever a factor in this case. Obviously only the officer knows what his thoughts were. Honestly I am speculating but here are my thoughts. Officer saw man with gun, IF he hadn't already officer drew his gun and trained it on the man with a gun. Somewhere in the mix obviously his booger finger pressed the bang button. Was it panic (felt he was behind in ooda loop and rushed to judgement or fear of ambush), or was black man with gun an issue?? Idk. Also obviously IF black man with gun was the issue the officer will probably never say it. And given training IMPD has I gotta believe it was a very unfortunate ND which may have been initiated by being surprised by the man with a gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Indy Star is saying the same. Homeowner is a vet and former MP.... he may be geared to confront threats. I imagine that is a hard habit to break for any former LEO. I know you guys lament the racial component being interjected, but as a black man, and legal gun owner, you can't help but wonder if "black guy with a gun" factored into this.

In light of what is happening in and to society right now this has to be looked at.

It sucks we have come to this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not convinced that race was ever a factor in this case. Obviously only the officer knows what his thoughts were. Honestly I am speculating but here are my thoughts. Officer saw man with gun, IF he hadn't already officer drew his gun and trained it on the man with a gun. Somewhere in the mix obviously his booger finger pressed the bang button. Was it panic (felt he was behind in ooda loop and rushed to judgement or fear of ambush), or was black man with gun an issue?? Idk. Also obviously IF black man with gun was the issue the officer will probably never say it. And given training IMPD has I gotta believe it was a very unfortunate ND which may have been initiated by being surprised by the man with a gun.

I think you're overthinking it. I'm not saying the officer is racist, nor that he made a conscious decision to shoot a black man holding a gun. I'm sure, if the facts indicate he was in the wrong, that he would feel absolutely terrible that he shot the victim. We live in nation where black people commit crimes at an astounding rate in comparison to their percentage of the population. It would be naïve to believe that with such facts, that it doesn't affect perception, and that perception affecting response. That response sometimes having dangerous consequences for those who happen to fall into that group.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kut - I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. And I agree 100% with what you said above. And a few posts up thread you mention the victim's service history as an MP and breaking the habit of being geared to face the threat. I would also agree with that assessment. But I do think a lesson here is knowing when you are better off just being a good witness instead of going to what may no longer be a threat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

No worries, the crazy weather must've messed with my purplometer. It's been out of sync all day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fox just did another piece on this with an interview of the homeowner.
    He says he was not alerted but did say he had a face full of spotlights...???

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Fox just did another piece on this with an interview of the homeowner.
    He says he was not alerted but did say he had a face full of spotlights...???

10q9is1.png

Top Bottom