• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't even know there was a racial element to it until you mentioned it. I'd just assumed both people involved (cop and homeowner) were white.

But now that you mentioned this, I can see the eggshells lying around that I couldn't see before.
    Why would you assume anything about their race?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why would you assume anything about their race?

"Assume" probably the wrong word... I just "imagined" the scenario, didn't really think of what race either person was, as it's a highly unimportant detail. But then some people made it an important detail... and at that point I got tired of the story because that's all it was going to be about from then on.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So the Washington Post headline of this event?

"A black homeowner called 911 to report a carjacking. He wound up getting shot by police."

Such an absolutely bull****, pot-stirring headline. The comments in the Reddit thread, as expected, are ****ting all over the police and "rules of engagement". Good lord this is stupid now.

Media takes a local news story that shouldn't have made it further than the Indy Star... and turns it into another "cops hate black people" thing.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    I know the homeowner, not exceptionally well but as a coworker. Not sure he'd approve of the way they're trying to spin it. Bad situation for all involved.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    "Assume" probably the wrong word... I just "imagined" the scenario, didn't really think of what race either person was, as it's a highly unimportant detail. But then some people made it an important detail... and at that point I got tired of the story because that's all it was going to be about from then on.
    Gotcha!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been trying to follow this but the info has been muddled up with the ****ing race card.
    This is getting so old.

Spouse and I both would like to know the real deal here.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had this story running through my mind last night...

We got a call from the alarm company that my FIL burglar alarm was going off. We told them to dispatch the police and asked them to give a description of my vehicle. We got there and the police hadn't arrived, so I parked in the alley, left my lights on, and turned my interior lights on. A few minutes later, a police officer walks around the corner pointing a taser in my general direction (he was using it as a light). I stayed still with my hands on the wheel until he came up to the window to talk to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had this story running through my mind last night...

We got a call from the alarm company that my FIL burglar alarm was going off. We told them to dispatch the police and asked them to give a description of my vehicle. We got there and the police hadn't arrived, so I parked in the alley, left my lights on, and turned my interior lights on. A few minutes later, a police officer walks around the corner pointing a taser in my general direction (he was using it as a light). I stayed still with my hands on the wheel until he came up to the window to talk to me.

Approaching LEO with a handgun (any gun really) especially in these troubled times is just not a good idea.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have been trying to follow this but the info has been muddled up with the ****ing race card.
    This is getting so old.

Spouse and I both would like to know the real deal here.

It's hard not to get it muddled. People who claim police shoot innocent black people too often are going to seize on this type of stuff, and ask why are black people not even accused, or known, to be committing a crime being shot? And ask how often white people in similar circumstances are shot. If one can't illustrate some sort of parity in these accidents/unfortunate misunderstandings, then it's difficult to say these stories are "muddled."

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kut - I agree some people will certainly jump on the "why are black people not accused or known to be committing a crime being shot" band wagon. And maybe there are pockets of truth in what they see. But I agree with churchmouse, what are the facts of what happened? It has been muddled with speculation because of race issues, and a lack of a clear explanation of events. I would add that as best my memory serves, accidental shootings by LE are very rare. So my perspective is we need the air cleared. What are the facts of what happened? And how can LE and us armed citizens learn from this unfortunate situation?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Based on the reports:

Armed carjacker reported.
    Officer arrived quietly so as to not scare away the bad guy to find an armed man in the garage (where a car would be, thusly a carjacker is expected to also be)
    Officer probably startled the homeowner who instinctively moved toward the officer's direction with gun in hand (not necessarily advancing, big diff) thinking the officer is the BG. (after all, no lights/sirens yet so cops arent there)
    Homeowner and officer both believed they were dealing with the BG and bad things happened.

On the surface I dont fault the officer at all. Now if more details come out my opinion may change. (caller told dispatch her husband was outside with a gun, etc)

I hope if my analysis is accurate the homeowner gets out in front of this and nips the faux race issue in the bud. We dont need that kind of nonsense out there when it doesnt exist. Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar. :dunno:

Oh, and I like that we hoosiers (even the hood rats) are sane enough to not doing stupid human tricks like rioting.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Based on the reports:

Armed carjacker reported.
    Officer arrived quietly so as to not scare away the bad guy to find an armed man in the garage (where a car would be, thusly a carjacker is expected to also be)
    Officer probably startled the homeowner who instinctively moved toward the officer's direction with gun in hand (not necessarily advancing, big diff) thinking the officer is the BG. (after all, no lights/sirens yet so cops arent there)
    Homeowner and officer both believed they were dealing with the BG and bad things happened.

On the surface I dont fault the officer at all. Now if more details come out my opinion may change. (caller told dispatch her husband was outside with a gun, etc)

I hope if my analysis is accurate the homeowner gets out in front of this and nips the faux race issue in the bud. We dont need that kind of nonsense out there when it doesnt exist. Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar. :dunno:

Oh, and I like that we hoosiers (even the hood rats) are sane enough to not doing stupid human tricks like rioting.

My understanding of the situation is that your assessment is fairly accurate. The worst part in this from my view is that I believe most of us would have done the same thing as the homeowner with the same result and most of us would have done the same as the officer. No winners here and nobody with clean hands either. The homeowner, officer, even dispatch all share some responsibility and none to my knowledge did anything that they would reasonably do differently if in that situation again.

Top Bottom