• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think everyone here is completely missing the point. Somewhere in our beloved city there is a small collection of do-gooders who feel really, really special for their hard work to take millions of dollars in revenue and turn it into something that “serves” a minority of citizens who mostly won’t use it. It was obviously the right thing to do for anyone who truly cares about humanity.

There are also a few business owners who are now able to make larger political contributions this year thanks to receiving those tax dollars to create something which will never work for more than a few weeks without requiring constant and costly repair work. Just like our roads.

So why all the complaining?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm still pissed that the Indianapolis voters approved the referendum to tax themselves for this tiny sliver of public transportation that services about 1% of the geographic area that was taxed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

From the article: "Some of the most popular IndyGo lines have boardings of a million or more each month. In December, Route 8 on Washington Street saw more than 1.5 million boardings; Route 10 on 10th Street had nearly 1.1 million."

I'm skeptical. Unless the 4 or 5 people I typically see on IndyGo buses are riding them millions of times a month.

I wonder how much money they could save if they used minivans instead of buses. Because I think a minivan would have more than enough room for the number of riders I see on the 50' long buses.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    From the article: "Some of the most popular IndyGo lines have boardings of a million or more each month. In December, Route 8 on Washington Street saw more than 1.5 million boardings; Route 10 on 10th Street had nearly 1.1 million."

I'm skeptical. Unless the 4 or 5 people I typically see on IndyGo buses are riding them millions of times a month.

I wonder how much money they could save if they used minivans instead of buses. Because I think a minivan would have more than enough room for the number of riders I see on the 50' long buses.

Route 8, Washington St proves that they need the Blue Line. :yesway:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

I'm skeptical too.
    1.5M boardings/ 2 (on and off)= 750,000 riders per month
    750,000/30 days per month = 25,000 riders per day
    25,000 riders/ 18 hours of bus service (6AM to midnight)= 1389 riders per hour
    1389 riders/ 3 (1 bus every 20 minutes)= 463 riders per bus OR 1 bus every 10 minutes = 231 riders per bus.

No wonder nobody wants to ride the bus, ITS FREAKIN CROWDED.
    9k=

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm skeptical too.
    1389 riders/ 3 (1 bus every 20 minutes)= 463 riders per bus OR 1 bus every 10 minutes = 231 riders per bus.

9k=

Statistics are constantly manipulated to make mistakes seem like successes. Crime stats etc.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm skeptical too.

9k=

Always follow the math...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    WTHR just did a piece on this. Some passengers admit that they DON'T PAY unless they happen to run into an inspector. And people they were interviewing admitted that the only reason they formerly used it was because it was free. Yeah, good job voters that voted by referendum to pay for this crap! I wish they could narrow it down and just have the people that voted for it pay for it. :rolleyes: As is the case in most things involving the government, it's another cash drain.

There should be questions on the IT-40 form like, "Did you vote in favor of this referendum? If "no" then you are entitled to this tax credit." Make people responsible for their choices and see how funding for these boondoggles goes. They could arrange it so that you get a receipt at the polls to prove how you voted on any given referendum.

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    WTHR just did a piece on this. Some passengers admit that they DON'T PAY unless they happen to run into an inspector.

They have invested heavily in technology for their ticketing system. Why did they decide to use the honor system for boarding? Name any other for profit venue that uses the honor system for entry? Sporting events, concerts, restaurants, every venue has someone verifying that the price of the service was paid, except for the Indy Moonbeam Transit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    They have invested heavily in technology for their ticketing system. Why did they decide to use the honor system for boarding? Name any other for profit venue that uses the honor system for entry? Sporting events, concerts, restaurants, every venue has someone verifying that the price of the service was paid, except for the Indy Moonbeam Transit.

Because the ticketing system hasn't actually been integrated yet. It wasn't ready at launch, hence the months and months of free rides. I don't think it's up and running yet.

Just another example of what a boondoggle this whole thing has been. They launch with a high-price technology that's unproven and not ready for use. But I'm sure the vendor behind the yet to be unveiled ticketing system has already been paid.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Because the ticketing system hasn't actually been integrated yet. It wasn't ready at launch, hence the months and months of free rides. I don't think it's up and running yet.

Just another example of what a boondoggle this whole thing has been. They launch with a high-price technology that's unproven and not ready for use. But I'm sure the vendor behind the yet to be unveiled ticketing system has already been paid.
    Probably soaking up overtime change orders to “fix” the holdup too?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The old trolleys, etc. were built and run at a profit, whether electric or horsedrawn. Taxpayers were not necessary. Now, I'm not saying the trolleys could make a go now, but the fact was, they paid attention to the engineering of the cars, and whatever physical plant they used, because if a system went down, so did the profit. This had to be a .gov project, because nobody but nobody would think they could operate it at a profit. Especially when your routes are determined by the Central Committee. Just imagine an entire economy planned by the Central Committee. It would be... something I'm sure we could come up with a word for. The biggest trouble with mass transit in Indianapolis is there aren't enough people in one place that all want to go to the same other place.

Top Bottom