• Status
    Not open for further replies.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    There will be plenty of big knives there to try out for sure. When you get bit by the bug and make your first big purchase make sure all the blame goes to DaKruiser.

I will warn that my Basic 11 has a taste for blood and can't seem to get enough so use at your own risk.

If I so much as scrape my knuckle working in the garage, I bleed like a stuck pig (thanks to Plavix/Clopidigrel). Maybe I've picked the wrong hobby... :fogey:

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the input and look forward to learning more.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I've got my new sharpening system setup and I'm ruining a few S&W's learning how to convex a blade... Soon as I get it down my 1311 will be next! Bring on the boards!

Also, who do we have to pay off to get knife lady and brad to setup out there? ;)

Thanks for thinking of us but I will not be able to attend since Brad has a show to do but I do have plenty of ESEE Junglas's in stock that have been used in the chop ins before.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    someday we shall meet. then I will be broke more than I usually am and I will rue that day until I start playing with all the new knives I have then. :):

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Are Khukuries an acceptable knife for the competition? If not then I will do more watching than chopping though I am sure that is what I will do anyway.

I will also bring a tomahawk for that division and leave my camp axe home. Too bad axes are out, the camp axe is a light weight and what I thought to bring since it seemed this was more about lighter things. I have some really nice axes from overseas that cost me more than some of my guns that I can make short work of a tree with but I will leave those home. I am also not up to a lot of singing anymore,, car wrecks can really tear a back up. So if I had some idea of how these things worked, or maybe an idea of the divisions or rules, I could plan accordingly and look through my stuff for appropriate items to bring. :)

Kukris are fine, several guys have ran the cutting competition with them. We don't run classes, it's for fun and bragging rights, :yesway:

Please bring your ax for show and tell, I personally would love to see them! :thumbsup:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will see about digging a few of the axes out then. I haven't been able to swing them in a while so they are all put away.

I also see I missed a letter, I love to sing, I meant swinging. :):

I will surely be there and bring some choppers for the competition though I am afraid I am not at the peak of my form.
    I am all about fun though so I will have that for sure. :cool:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh I'll have a Busse or three! And you're welcome to use anyone, as is anyone else!

Those Kershaw Outcasts do pretty well, ask Simon6101.

We will run the chopping competition pretty much the same as past years, so you will have a couple 2x4's, tennis ball, golf ball, water bottles, dowel rod, foam pipe insulation, and Manila rope. I'm going to change up the scoring a little to even up the odds and give an advantage to those that have their knife sharp! :D so don't be the dull guy at the party! :joke:

Is sharpening allowed between events? I'm assuming not!

Will you have a contest for small knives too? Maybe the cutting without the heavy chopping?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Is sharpening allowed between events? I'm assuming not!

Will you have a contest for small knives too? Maybe the cutting without the heavy chopping?

No sharpening during your run, that's part of why I run in the order I do, it shows you and everyone else how well steels hold their edge.

I would love to hear ideas for small knife competitions, if anyone can come up with something I will help make it happen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No sharpening during your run, that's part of why I run in the order I do, it shows you and everyone else how well steels hold their edge.

I would love to hear ideas for small knife competitions, if anyone can come up with something I will help make it happen.

I think it would be fun to see who can cut the biggest free hanging manila rope with folders with blades less than 4 inches. I did a one inch rope on the first try with a Bucklite 422 (I think that's the model ... the one with the same blade as the 112, made of 425M back then). It kind of surprised the guys who were testing the giant bowie they'd just forged. Heh.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I think it would be fun to see who can cut the biggest free hanging manila rope with folders with blades less than 4 inches. I did a one inch rope on the first try with a Bucklite 422 (I think that's the model ... the one with the same blade as the 112, made of 425M back then). It kind of surprised the guys who were testing the giant bowie they'd just forged. Heh.

Sounds good, I'll be sure to have plenty of rope. :yesway:

I thought about cutting cardboard and then trying to slice paper to show edge retention. :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom