• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Bike Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    I say you go TRAIN with what you have. The body is an amazing machine that gets stronger the harder you work it. A 5 lbs gun is nice if thats the only thing you have to carry. Once you put on you 50lbs pack and 6 full mags you don't really notice the gun weighing 7 or 8 lbs!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Once you put on you 50lbs pack and 6 full mags you don't really notice the gun weighing 7 or 8 lbs!

50 pound pack? Is that to put my special boots that walk up walls in or the duct tape for the trauma plates?:D

Well, some of us don't have to worry about that (if you do, I thank you). I don't even carry a dirty baseball hat and a Van Dyke so how tactical can I be?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I say you go TRAIN with what you have. The body is an amazing machine that gets stronger the harder you work it. A 5 lbs gun is nice if thats the only thing you have to carry. Once you put on you 50lbs pack and 6 full mags you don't really notice the gun weighing 7 or 8 lbs!

Until it's slung.

I don't mind weight really up to around 10 pounds. Once it's over 10 pounds then it starts to be annoying to put up with in general.

All my guns have some heft to them because of optics, really no other reason. I think the saiga 12 I built is the lightest gun I own, even with its 22" hammer forged unusually beefy barrel. Followed by my saiga 308 and then my AR15. The AR15 is just beefy because of the optic, millett DMS1. I'm not sure where the MSAR sits since being a bullpup makes its weight become a non-issue.

Even my PSL with the massive 8x POSP and its ridiculously heavy 10 round steel mags doesn't seem ALL that bad unless you want to shoot it from the shoulder all day. I drilled a bipod into the receiver for a reason. Also, having a wide hunting sling with some give in it seems to make it ride on the back a lot more comfortably.

Of course I don't really have a scale that's very good for weighing firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    tombs, it's just like weighing your deer. Get on your bathroom scale, then have your wife hand you the deer. Now subtract your weight from the weight of you and the deer. Easy, huh?:D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    tombs, it's just like weighing your deer. Get on your bathroom scale, then have your wife hand you the deer. Now subtract your weight from the weight of you and the deer. Easy, huh?:D
    Eh... precision of your ordinary bathroom scale is likely in the range of +/- 1+ lbs for analog/dial scales and +/- 4-8 oz for digital (just guessing). I wouldn't really use that as an accurate method of weighing something that is typically weighed in oz.

It will probably give you a good idea of where it falls relative to other guns you own (the error on the scale should be pretty consistent), but it may not be very accurate when comparing to actual weight figures from another source.

:twocents: Take it or leave it... just my thought on using the bathroom scale.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Weight ALWAYS matters...
    ALWAYS... ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom